Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Talk to the Machine

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/sep02/voic.html

If you've ever wanted to know exactly how voice recognition works, give this article a read - it's a very detailed write-up of the current status of voice recognition, and how the technology works. Very enlightening!

"Max Huang says he has something cool to show me. I'm skeptical: he's holding in his hand what looks like a PDA. It is a PDA, a Compaq 3600, to be exact, unadorned and, to my eyes, unremarkable. What's special is what's inside: this PDA understands what you say.

Huang and his colleagues at the Philips Speech Processing office in Taipei, Taiwan, have streamlined the company's standard speech recognition engine, meant for servers and PCs, to run instead on a PDA. It's just a prototype, Huang says, but the Mandarin-language recognizer can distinguish about 40 000 words and still not tax the Compaq's memory, power, or processing. With it, Huang can access his address book, schedule appointments, and dictate e-mail. Considering the alternative�poking away at the device's tiny display with a skinny stylus�I'm starting to be convinced: this does seem pretty cool."

Old 11-14-2002, 11:00 PM
mookie123
Thinker

awesome, now all I need is learning chinese so any iPAQ will understand me. mmm...

Old 11-14-2002, 11:02 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

hmmm...the promise of voice recognition on a PDA...haven't heard that before :roll:

Old 11-15-2002, 01:30 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's an inevitable evolution, but unfortunately I think it's still at least 3 years away. Hopefully I'm being pessimistic, but I think that's how long we have to wait still.

Old 11-15-2002, 02:13 AM
ECOslin
Thinker

I'm not so worried about voice recognition yet on my PDA. I would like a text to speech version on the version of Microsoft Reader, or any reader, for my PDA. Something with a human voice and human parsing.

Although asking, by voice, my PDA what the weather is outside, and having it answer, by voice, would be neat.

Edward

Old 11-15-2002, 04:34 AM
mscdex
Sage

well, the Pocket ViaVoice has been out for quite some time now, I tried it once, and it was ok, i guess.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:16 AM
ThomasC22
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscdex
well, the Pocket ViaVoice has been out for quite some time now, I tried it once, and it was ok, i guess.
If by ok you mean "understands about 10% of what you say" then yes.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:40 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC22
Quote:
10%???? Wow! What did you do to teach it so well?!?!? :lol:

Old 11-15-2002, 05:53 AM
mscdex
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC22
Quote:
Well, It was about 50% of what I said or so. I can't quite remember since I had installed it a long while ago, and then I had uninstalled it because I guess I'm just a stylus person. And if my memory serves me well, another flaw pocket viavoice had was that it was limited to certain programs.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:59 AM
ThomasC22
Sage

Quote:
Well, It was about 50% of what I said or so. I can't quite remember since I had installed it a long while ago, and then I had uninstalled it because I guess I'm just a stylus person. And if my memory serves me well, another flaw pocket viavoice had was that it was limited to certain programs.
aaaaaannnnnnddddd iiiiiiittttttt mmmmmmaaaaaaaaddddddddeeeee yyyyyyoooouuuurrrr ppppppoooccckkkeeeetttpppppcccc vvvvveeeeeerrrrryyyyy sssssslllllloooooowwww!!!!!!