Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-14-2002, 02:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default New iPaqs Take High Road and Low Road

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-965720.html

The new iPAQ 1910 and 5450 that Jason posted about here and here will be officially introduced on Monday, November 18. Hmmmm.... same day the Dell Axim X5 is introduced. Coincidence? I think not! :wink:

Cindy Box, HP marketing director, doesn't plan on giving up an inch of marketshare to Dell either. "Box said that HP plans to follow the h1910 with more products in the value part of the handheld market and does not plan on ceding any market share to Dell--or anyone else. "We're going to continue to look at 'Can we go lower?'" Box said." More features, lower pricing? Rock on! :rock on dude!: If nothing else, I hope this makes the $50 rebates Dell will be offering at the launch permanent.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

Quite off topic...
but the 18th is also the shipping date of Metroid Prime and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. What a truly blessed day.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Merlion
Ponderer

Ahh .. Nov 18, enough time for us to assess (from reviews & early adopters' reports ) which ones are good for us in time for Christmas.

Old 11-14-2002, 03:17 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default The Envelope

As happy as I am to see companies like Dell pushing the price of ppc's down to levels where all can have them, it is equally nice to see a company pushing the proverbial envelope on new features. With the new screen, built-in Wifi and BT it is a top pf the line entry. The real kicker is the fingerprint security. While I would wait to see how well it works, if it does work, it will make security much more painless (meaning I will use it.) My password function is off since I got tired of entering a p-word all the time. These are all good things for consumers. The more products, the more likely one will fit your needs. The beauty of capitalism is choice. Just ask a soviet how many cars they had to choose from.

Old 11-14-2002, 03:31 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

HP better investigate further this "more for less" strategy. The 1900 is a severe blow to those people who already own PPC's and wanted to "upgrade" to a lower-cost, better screen (not too mention lighter)device that runs on-par with our current devices.

I can understand non-ppc'ers (read Palm owners and newbies) looking at this device and saying..."Wow!". Nothing wrong with that and probably is good for the PPC market in general. However, with Dell and ViewSonic already offering "more for less" I am curious as to why HP "crippled" this device from the get-go. Perhaps not to eat into their new, higher cost 5400 series?

Old 11-14-2002, 05:30 PM
mookie123
Thinker

that Jornada (aka H1910) should be priced at $250, come with 300Mhz that can be underclock manually to 100mHz (the new Genio come with 400Mhz that can be manually underclocked to 100mHz)

memory should be a "real 64MB", with 32MB ROM.

otherwise this gadget can definitely compete with TUngsten for people who is looking for Tiny pocketable PDA with PIM ability.

Old 11-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Fishie
Pontificator
Default urgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirath
Quite off topic...
but the 18th is also the shipping date of Metroid Prime and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. What a truly blessed day.
Urgh, Mortal Kombat, thats wrong man, thats so wrong.
Horrible game with almost no redeeming features whatsoever.
Want a GOOD fighting game go play VF4 or Soul Calibur.

Old 11-14-2002, 06:07 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

So far I'm somewhat unimpressed with these cheap PPCs. I realize no product can be perfect in this price range, but still....the Dell is too bulky, the Viewsonic is too...well, I don't know yet....and the HP is nice, but no upgradability..poor battery life. Yikes. This isn't the big strike I was hoping for. But still, wait and see.... :?

Old 11-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
So far I'm somewhat unimpressed with these cheap PPCs. I realize no product can be perfect in this price range, but still....the Dell is too bulky, the Viewsonic is too...well, I don't know yet....and the HP is nice, but no upgradability..poor battery life. Yikes. This isn't the big strike I was hoping for. But still, wait and see.... :?
You just like complaining. The dell is big but has two slots. And is $199. You can't complain about hte V35 yet, but just want to add it to your mix. The HP has poor battery life? WHere did you see that battery test? Have a link?

Old 11-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
The HP has poor battery life? WHere did you see that battery test? Have a link?
PC Mag. Bruce Brown reviewed all three PPCs...Dell..Viewsonic...HP.