Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-07-2002, 01:28 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Sendo Abandons Microsoft Smartphone in Favor of Nokia

http://www.sendo.com

Just weeks before launching the Z100 running Smartphone 2002, Yahoo is reporting that Sendo has dropped the Microsoft platform in favor of the Nokia Series 60 software. "LONDON (Reuters) - British mobile phone maker Sendo said on Thursday it had abandoned a long-awaited Microsoft-based phone and chosen to go with Nokia (news - web sites)'s rival software instead. Despite having been one of the launching partners for the Microsoft Smartphone program, Chief Executive Hugh Brogan said Sendo had given up on the Z100 Smartphone, which had been due for launch within weeks. "There will not be products based on Microsoft. There is not going to be a Z100," Brogan said."

One if the reasons was the ability to customize the phone. "Brogan said one reason for the switch was that Sendo could get access to the source code for Nokia software, and therefore customize products. It could not do that with Microsoft." This can't be good for Microsoft. The Smartphone 2002 platform has been delayed quite a few times and was nearing launch in the next few weeks. Yahoo has more info here.

Source: gwinter

Old 11-07-2002, 01:39 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Maybe they were also a bit ****ed by the fact that Microsoft actively promoted the Compal and HTC devices and Sendo not being a prominent key player anymore.

Very sad news, indeed.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

The Inq suggests that Sendo was not happy with the stability of the MS SW:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6125
Sendo dumps Microsoft for Symbian
It wants robust software

Quote:
Instead, Sendo said it has licensed Nokia's Series 60 platform for its smart phones.

Why? Because "the platform utilises open standards and technologies, such as MMS and Java, jointly developed by the industry," said Hugh Brogan, MD of the company.

Further, it's "robust, and uniquely flexible," he said. Rather implying that Microsoft's software isn't.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:19 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default No Sendo

All I have to say is hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Another fine Microsoft release!

That's gotta sting.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Rafe
Pupil

Join the Symbian party over at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/phpBB...?p=25006#25006

Seriously as a Symbian support I wondering what you guys think of this? How big an effect will it have in your opinion? I mean this has to be a knock back for Microsoft right. Its not going to inspire confidence in the corporates that the SPV is aimed at.

Dropping a device so close to release there has to be some issues with it?

rafe

Old 11-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Paragon
Magi

When you really think about this, it's simply one player who has had delay after delay in releasing their product. HTC seemed to have put it together quite well. My understanding is that HTC's device runs pretty stable, and it's a great little device.

I'm willing to bet that when they got a drift of what Orange was going to sell their device for it must have been a hug shock, since Sendo's developer models cost in the area of $700.00 CND.

Ya, it doesn't look all that great to see them drop it, but they are one player, and they didn't even have a device ready for market. If HTC hadn't released a product I think it would be a much different story. There will be other players in the Smartphone market down the road.

Dave

Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

I have yet to find out what's really going on here, but if it is all true:

Stupid move by Sendo. They'll eventually come to regret it sorely. Of course, it is a set back. But who seriously believes that Microsoft (products, strategies) will be affected by a small British phone maker? Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that Sendo is insignificant or would not have a played an important role from a Microsoft standpoint if they'd stayed on track with Z100. I am just saying that Microsoft would never solely rely on one small player to make really big things happen.

In my opinion, we are back in the late eighties. Some companies went with Microsoft, and some didn't. Which companies were most successful?

Old 11-07-2002, 02:53 PM
PlayAgain?
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to PlayAgain?

Maybe Microsoft is going to be to consumer communications what IBM has become to personal computing.

Old 11-07-2002, 03:00 PM
enemy2k2
Theorist
Default Symbian lives

I was disappointed when Psion pulled out of the PDA market but am relieved that the underlying OS is still quite active in the smartphone race. Personally I think it's a good thing for MS to have competition. Whatever happens I think Smartphone 2k2 will eventually be the top player in the US smartphone market, maybe along with Palm OS phones. All I know is that the smartphone market is going to be the most interesting in terms of innovation/interesting products for the next long while. Should be fun to watch.

Old 11-07-2002, 03:11 PM
heliod
Intellectual

As Andy, I think they will regret this move at some time.

In my point of view, everything got together against them, their difficulty on releasing a stable device while HTC and Orange did, the fact that they expected to be quite sole in the market and were not, and at the end the noise of the release of the Nokia phone and the price which is impossible for such a small company.

I don't believe this will hurt the Smartphone platform at all. With the Orange phone out, the Samsung phone beginning to roll, HTC products, and others to come, Sendo will hardly make a difference.

And I also try to guess what difference they will make in the Symbian phone market.... something more than none at all???

Your guesses, please.