Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Any Recommended Visual HTML Tools?

Whenever I need some input, Thoughts readers give it, so I thought I'd ask this question: I'm looking for a relatively simple HTML tool that has both a visual WYSIWYG component and a raw code view. I've been using Dreamweaver for the 30 day trial period, but it's a pretty expensive application and largely overkill for what I need to do (I tried the old "Hey, toss me an unlock code and I'll talk about your app", but they weren't interested). I'm a little wary of FrontPage mucking up the code, so I'm not sure I want to go that route for editing. Any recommendations?

Old 11-05-2002, 07:37 PM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

Jason,

Sorry to tell you this but Dreamweaver is the only way to go. I agree that it is really overpriced. But hey, so are Microsoft's office products. It is the latest trend.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:43 PM
arkman
Pupil

Homesite does a pretty good job of generating 'clean code'. It's listed on the Macromedia site as USD$99, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere else for cheaper. There is a 30 day demo available for download.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:44 PM
humor
Pupil

FYI - Frontpage 2002 does not reformat your code automatically like previous versions, it now defaults to not mucking with the code unless you choose the setting in page options.

Humor

Old 11-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Unreal32
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Unreal32 Send a message via AIM to Unreal32 Send a message via Yahoo to Unreal32

I always like coffeecup. Not the best, and no dreamweaver, but it works.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:02 PM
EHammer
Neophyte
Default HTML Code

We have used Homesite (still using ver 4.0) for several years for creating a couple of websites we maintain as volunteers.

I'm a novice at HTML, but find it easy to use and it has plenty of features for what I need to do.

They used to be their own company, but were purchased by Macromedia.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:03 PM
bones
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to bones Send a message via MSN to bones Send a message via Yahoo to bones

Jason, Homesite has become somewhat of a standard now among front-end HTML, JS, PHP coders.

I found it for $77 USD here:

http://www.2buystore.com/shopdisplay...85244&Ref=CNET

Old 11-05-2002, 08:14 PM
Newsboy
Theorist

You may also want to try Moveable Type. It's free, except for professional use. And since you're not making a profit, I'd say you fall into that category.

http://www.moveabletype.org

A good example of a Moveable Type website (I cannot vouch for content, just look/feel):

http://asmallvictory.net/bbp/

Old 11-05-2002, 08:15 PM
exsilio
Pupil

I've been building web sites for about seven years now, and I have been through DOZENS of HTML apps for the Mac and PC. Both raw coding and WYSIWYG flavors.

By far, the best for money and performance is:

AceHTML from Visicom Media. All sorts of great features. Personally, I wouldn't touch Homesite with a 10-foot keyboard. I know Homesite is popular, but be sure to take AceHTML for a spin before you decide.

http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/

Good luck. :wink:

Old 11-05-2002, 08:36 PM
weezl
Neophyte

Frontpage 2002 has overcome the crappiness of the previous versions, and as a bonus, also supports VBA like the rest of office so you can write macros for common needs. You can now also set compatibility levels to avoid the old 'looks like hell in netscape, fine on IE'. A lot of people still slam it, but if you're just looking to quickly put together some HTML, it's a pretty nice tool.
(to be fair, I've not used dreamweaver or homesite for extended periods).