Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Will High-Tech Save Future Elections

http://www.msnbc.com/news/826193.asp?pne=msn

On this election day as you stand in line, you may wonder why in the world you can't just vote from home on your PC or as you stand in line at Starbucks on your Pocket PC or cell phone. "On a crisp autumn morning in 2012, George got a call from his ballot box. He�d been tinkering with his presidential vote on the Netphone for weeks, and had dropped it in the e-mailbox just the night before. Now the election system�s voicemail was calling him back to verify his vote. A recorded message read off the confirmation numbers, as usual � but this time around, the digits didn�t match. George thought for a moment: Was it just a glitch, or did someone actually do what the crypto company said was impossible? Had his vote been hacked?"

The biggest problem with internet voting is security and vote integrity. "Would Internet voting add to the potential confusion and fraud? Rebecca Mercuri, a computer science professor at Bryn Mawr College and founder of Notable Software, is certain it would. �We�re taking an inherently insecure medium, the Internet, and layering security on top of it,� she said. �It doesn�t work.�

There are small online voting experiments going on right now around the US, most to handle absentee ballots. If those prove successful, online voting for you and me may not be far off. Source: Paul Britton

Of course, in some states, something a bit more simplistic may be in order. :wink: :lol:

Old 11-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Paragon
Magi

Aside from hacking votes, the other problem I have always seen with electronic voting is that it is too easy. Presently if you physically go to a voting pole there is a very good chance you are making an informed vote, and have put some thought into you vote.

With electronic voting it is far to easy to for a very large majority of people to cast a carefree vote.

Just think if that were the case Ed could become the next Governor of Tennessee.
Dave

Old 11-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Just think if that were the case Ed could become the next Governor of Tennessee.
After the current one, I'd vote for Ed.

Bwana Jim

Old 11-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Don Sorcinelli
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via MSN to Don Sorcinelli Send a message via Yahoo to Don Sorcinelli

Quote:
With electronic voting it is far to easy to for a very large majority of people to cast a carefree vote.

Dave
Either Ed, or the Dell Dude... 8O

Old 11-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
Quote:

Dave
Either Ed, or the Dell Dude... 8O
Dude!!! You're getting an income tax!

Old 11-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

With the ingenuity of hackers on the net I would NEVER trust web based voting period. The possibility of some foreign nation and a hack they have corrupting the election process (Corrupting, HEH like it isn�t already corrupt.) is very real.
Heck I'm highly skeptical of digital voting as it stands. A vast majority of these digital "stands" don't have a physical output, hard copy, of the results consequently there is no way to audit the voting in the event of a discrepancy we just have to trust that the computer is right. I don�t know about you guys but I don�t trust computers simply because they are programmed by humans and humans are fallible. Garbage in garbage out.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Fishie
Pontificator
Default Hahahaha

Hey Ed, thats an awesome pic, can I use it?

Old 11-05-2002, 04:49 PM
sundown
Theorist

I agree with net-voting not being a good solution (sorry) but I don't know what the big deal is about electronic voting at the polls. I keep hearing how insecure it is, etc., etc. An easy solution would be to have your vote printed out when you're done so you can review it and then sign it. These signed ballots would be available if a recount was necessary and could even be barcoded to speed things up. Doesn't sound very hard to me. Fast, simple and has a backup built-in.

Old 11-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaJim
After the current one, I'd vote for Ed.
I'd vote for my dog after the current governor. :?

Old 11-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Rather than replace the current setup for main elections I would like to see a single simple and standardized method adopted, involving a physical presence, or a witnessed electronic voting method for 'shut-ins'. Where I think Internet voting could really be helpful is in expanding actual democracy, enabling a cheap and simple and reasonably secure means for the average jerk to provide even daily input on critical decision making in governments. Imagine: Your town council wants to allow rezoning of a block for some kind of controversial business. It's a year to the next municipal election. How do they get the citizens' opinions in a fast and reliable manner, for next to no money? Build a page with a series of checkbox questions, process the input into a chart of opinions, and send the results to the Pocket PCs of all the councillors. They might not act on it with the majority, but if they did or didn't, the data could be collected and added to a similar statistical charting available for the populace. Come that next election, everyone would be able to see how far off the mark each polititian had voted over the past couple of years, and make their decisions based on THAT, not on some idiotic television campaign.