Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-04-2002, 09:02 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pretty Pictures of the Samsung Smartphone

http://cgi.chollian.net/~mpreview2/ez2000/ezboard.cgi?db=news&action=read&dbf=93&page=0&depth=5

The last time I posted on this, some of you didn't like the way the phone looked. Personally, I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it on the market! The linked site is a little slow to load, but has several great high-resolution images of the phone. Samsung is the #3 handset maker in the world, so the fact that they're building a Smartphone is a big win for Microsoft. Samsung is hedging their bets, however, by also building a Palm phone and a Symbian phone. If they can do it and still be profitable, it's a smart move.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:23 AM
jeremyweisser
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to jeremyweisser
Default Applications on Smartphone

Could anyone clear up for me what applications are included on the smartphone, ie: Word, Excel, PocketOutlook?

Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger
Default Re: Applications on Smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyweisser
Could anyone clear up for me what applications are included on the smartphone, ie: Word, Excel, PocketOutlook?
Pocket Outlook, Pocket IE, MSN, Windows Media Player and ActiveSync are some of the main progs. No Word or Excel.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:55 AM
benetone
Neophyte

Is there any smartphone with Bluetooth at all? It's a very big surprise that companies still don't include bluetooth into the smartphone yet.

Old 11-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default SmartPhone on Tech TV

Tech TV ran the latest installment of "Microsoft Insider Live", which included a pretty cool demo of the SmartPhone. It also featured the Tablet PC, Mira portable display and the Windows XP Media Center.

They'll be showing it again several times, at least Monday through Thursday.

Steve

Old 11-04-2002, 11:20 AM
enemy2k2
Theorist
Default Pictures

Those actually are pretty impressive pictures. Too bad the phone looks a little chunky in depth, but the other dimensions are certainly impressive. I voted for the clamshell shape even though it adds to the thickness, I feel it makes for a much less conspicuous smartphone. The others such as the Orange SPV I've seen look very obviously different.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy2k2
Those actually are pretty impressive pictures. Too bad the phone looks a little chunky in depth, but the other dimensions are certainly impressive. I voted for the clamshell shape even though it adds to the thickness, I feel it makes for a much less conspicuous smartphone.
I voted for the clamshell, too. Who wants to have the screen of their phone exposed most of the time? On a display as colorful as the SmartPhone (and presumably expensive), keeping the screen protected is even more important.

I haven't seen whether SmartPhones use touchscreens, but if they do, that's another reason to keep it protected.

Steve

Old 11-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Newsboy
Theorist

No touchscreens on SmartPhones. Saves battery life and improves screen resolution.

That phone is *precisely* what I need, right now. Still interested to find out how much Sprint PCS is going to overcharge for it though.

On the subject of phones...all this hoopla about Organic LED (OLED) displays...I've had one for over 18 months now, in my Motorola TimePort.

OLED (assuming they can make it work) is definetly the future. The display on the Timeport is brighter, clearer, and easier to read than any other phone display I've ever seen. Onlookers *never* cease to gawk and make comments when they see it flipped open, even with the new generation of color displays on the market.

Old 11-04-2002, 03:11 PM
rsajdak
Pupil
Default Can I sync a Smartphone and a PPC on the same computer?

I have an iPaq 3955 and I'm interested in getting a Smartphone. Will we be able to sync to the same Outlook personal folders with both devices? If not, then Microsoft is making a stragegic mistake.

Old 11-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

I just want Sprint to release a Bluetooth-enabled Vision phone, period. I have cables out the wazoo...