Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Ok, Maybe There Will Be A Dell PDA In 2002

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V4A812052

A few days ago I reported that there wouldn't be a Dell PDA until 2003. It seems, however, Dell Canada may launch as early as November 18th! "At an official launch on Nov. 18, the company will reportedly take the wraps off both an entry-level and high-end handheld, both with colour screens. The company has been touring North America to brief press and analysts about the basics of the new personal digital assistants (PDAs), while struggling to keep specific hardware and pricing details secret.

"Our goal for 2003 is to have at least a 25-per-cent [PocketPC] market share," Mr. Bonadero added. "We believe we will ship up to one million units. But even that may be a low-ball estimate, based on our price point ... Our president has said he'll eat his hat if we don't sell an absolute minimum of 30,000 before Christmas."

"We have studied this space and learned from our suppliers, competitors and customers," a press briefing note from the company said. "The result is a customer-defined, highly refined mainstream PocketPC offering what we consider best in class [features]." The machines will be available from www.dell.ca immediately after the Nov. 18 launch, and through Dell Direct Store kiosks in malls during the holiday season. The stores allow people to try the hardware, and then they can order the products they want on-line on the spot."

Check out the last paragraph. "Dell will also deliver new models early in 2003, according to Mr. Bonadero. He says the company's goal is to produce a basic colour model at some point next year for less than $150 (U.S.), putting further pressure on the competition." Source: Numsquat

Old 11-01-2002, 08:42 PM
bblock
Ponderer

Damn! This can't help but bode well for the overall future of Pocket PC and it's widestream acceptance. Sure can't wait to see how they combine price with 'best-in-class' features.

Old 11-01-2002, 08:44 PM
xbalance
Ponderer
Default Managed Expectations

My expectations are so far out of whack on this 8O .

I can not wait for the high end Dell to be released. It sounds like from a price and feature perspective it is going to be the PPC I have been looking for since bought my Everex Manager so many years ago.

A moment of silence for the new Dell. Hopefully it will not be plagued by any of the annoying issues that have plagued almost every Pocket PC and Palm unit so far. Is that too much to ask :roll:

Old 11-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Birdman
Theorist

A high end Dell with 2 integrated slots (SD & CF) that will be ready for shipping on Nov. 18 that will also have a range of accessory products ready to go (keyboard, etc.) that can be ordered by regular everyday Canadians for a price that is less than what Compaq is currently charging for their products, ....I can only hope. This may just be enough to keep me from waiting for a PPCPhone to come to Canada!

(I remember when I first ordered my ipaq 3635, it took almost 2 months from the date I ordered before the retailer was able to get enough product to move me up the list.)

Old 11-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Dave Johnson at PDABuzz said it best...."Viewsonic and Dell will do more for the Pocket PC platform in one year than iPaq did in 3."

Old 11-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Dave Johnson at PDABuzz said it best...."Viewsonic and Dell will do more for the Pocket PC platform in one year than iPaq did in 3."
Puh leaze. The iPAQ took the MS PDA from obscurity to 3M units. That is an approximate bazillion % increase in unit volume. I wonder if there would be a Dell and Viewsonic Pocket PC if it weren't for the iPAQ.

Think about it.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:18 PM
heyday
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to heyday Send a message via MSN to heyday Send a message via Yahoo to heyday

It would be cool if they were selling them at Comdex..... Probably jus demoing them though....

heyday

Old 11-01-2002, 09:20 PM
UGAMatthew
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to UGAMatthew Send a message via MSN to UGAMatthew
Default Surviving Dell's Pocket PC...

So my question is.... How will Pocket PC competitors be able to compete? With Dell putting out a PPC's so cheap... how will others survive? Is it a case where the competition has high markups and will just have to lower prices? It's already obvious Palm's Tungsten will have to do some major price adjustments (currently $499) to even stay in the handheld market. But what about our other Pocket PC manufacturers? I realize that companies will be releasing their own low-end devices.... but when Dell's high end device only runs for $299?....

Old 11-01-2002, 09:23 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Puh leaze. The iPAQ took the MS PDA from obscurity to 3M units. That is an approximate bazillion % increase in unit volume. I wonder if there would be a Dell and Viewsonic Pocket PC if it weren't for the iPAQ.

Think about it.
I actually am inclined to agree here. What Dell will do is to push the PocketPC into the Corporate market. Could they have done it without the iPaq? No, but then again, the iPaq couldn't have done it without the E100. My point is that each generation stands atop the shoulders of the last, and each time the splash has just gotten bigger!

As for the PDAs themself, I see a few interesting issues here. First, I don't see a great gap between the $199 and $299 devices. The speed will be practically the same between a 300mhz and 400mhz processor.

Then there's my one big fear here which is that the devices will be too cheap. You do get what you pay for and for $199 I wouldn't be surprised if they were skimping on the internal parts. and $150, don't get me started :roll:

Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Looks like I am not the only one talking about eating hats...