Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Readies Two Versions of Windows CE

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,652367,00.asp

"The Redmond, Wash., developer is targeting a new set of smart devices, including VOIP (voice-over-IP) phones, with the next version of CE, code-named McKendric and due next year. The company plans to follow that release in 2005 with a version of CE code-named Macallan that includes greater storage capabilities and better file system technology."

Here is the interesting thing - emphasis mine - "McKendric will also achieve API compatibility with the Pocket PC at the shell level. As Microsoft moves forward with Pocket PC, the goal is to align it on the latest version of Windows CE so it can benefit from enhancements already made in power management and wireless networking." Woohoo! This means, I think, that as new versions of Windows CE are released, updated versions of the Pocket PC may be months or even weeks behind, not years like it is now. Windows CE.NET was released so long ago I don't even remember what the date is, yet Pocket PCs are still based on Windows CE 3.0.

I still didn't see anything in there about CE or Pocket PC being optimized for ARMv5 (X-Scale, TI-OMAP, etc) processors. :wink: Source: sweetpete

Old 10-30-2002, 02:53 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

Yep,

Ce 4.0 was released Januari 14th 2002, and still no new OS Microsoft is really slow with these updates. Perhaps were not on the priority-list ???

Jaap

Old 10-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Priority of Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JvanEkris
Ce 4.0 was released Januari 14th 2002, and still no new OS Microsoft is really slow with these updates. Perhaps were not on the priority-list ???
Maybe Pocket PC Phone Edition and SmartPhone were a bit more important?

Steve

Old 10-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

I believe you are right Ed.
When looking at what's going on in the products and what just happened from an organizational point-of-view, Microsoft will tightly coordinate Windows CE and Pocket PC schedules.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Looks like it will be 2 birds with 1 stone... this kind of started with ce.net in that they started takingsome of the API's from the Pocket PC Team and integrating them in.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

A thought. Dell is holding off releasing their PDA's right? Dell is so tight with Microsoft that they are practically attached at the hip. Is it a possibility that this holding pattern from Dell could be because MS will be releasing something soon? 8O God I hope so and if so I hope its a REAL honest to god update of the system!

Old 10-31-2002, 12:15 AM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Here's my read on things at Microsoft, remember thought that I'm just making this up from past stories about Microsoft and don't have ANY inside info to back it up...

My theory is that before a few months ago (give or take) the PocketPC wasn't more than a blip on the WindowsCE teams radar. The WinCE team is a pretty paranoid group at this point...not only do they have to compete with an outside product that is basically given away for free (JVM) but they're forced to compete with another division of Microsoft as well (WinXP Embedded). Further, alot of WinCE devices have bit the dust in the last couple years (UltimateTV for example) and they've lost a lot of job internally as well (X-Box for example). With all that pressure on them, I don't think you can really blame them for not paying much attention to the PPC group. This is common in Microsoft history, the IE4 team (who were also in charge of the Windows Shell) and the Consumer Windows team almost killed eachother at one point. Same situation.

But I think over the last few months Microsoft top brass (Ballmer, Gates, Allchin et al) have started to realize that the PocketPC is gaining some momentum. Ballmer has given the "sapplings" speech to the press tons of times and just recently has PocketPC been one of the "sapplings". As a matter of fact we began the year with him saying they would be porting .NET to the Palm.

But with both WinCE losing a lot of customers (mostly internal) and PPC doing well I would think the PPC has become a fairly high priority at this point.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC22
Here's my read on things at Microsoft, remember thought that I'm just making this up from past stories about Microsoft and don't have ANY inside info to back it up...

My theory is that before a few months ago (give or take) the PocketPC wasn't more than a blip on the WindowsCE teams radar.
Nope. In fact, CE 3.0 was developed for the Pocket PC and that is why PPC 2000 shipped before CE 3.0 was done. That made the PPC the reason for CE's existance for a few months.

Furthermore, the mobile devices division is one of the 7 pillars of MS's strategy going forward, along with desktop OSs, gaming, etc. It has been a high priority for 3 years. Things are happening. Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC Phone Edition 2002, SmartPhone 2002, CE/PPC API alignment, etc. They may not be happening as fast as you or I would like, but it is moving faster than it appears. Lots of stuff going on in the back room. (confidential - don't tell anyone I told you this - last time I was at Redmond there was a door in the Mobile Devices group's building that had "PPC Neural Input Testing" on the door. When you see the project coded as synapse in the news, you'll know. :wink: )

Old 10-31-2002, 03:30 AM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Furthermore, the mobile devices division is one of the 7 pillars of MS's strategy going forward, along with desktop OSs, gaming, etc. It has been a high priority for 3 years.
WELLLLLLLL :?

Here's the thing, I have nothing to back up my opinion, but the one thing I can tell you, having read several "after the fact" books on Microsoft is that rarely do they openly express what they're actually thinking.

Remember, in 1993 the world belonged to Pen Computing and Microsoft was putting the whole company behind it...I think that's when they were focusing most of their efforts on OS/2, eh?

Old 10-31-2002, 06:13 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default We'll see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Furthermore, the mobile devices division is one of the 7 pillars of MS's strategy going forward, along with desktop OSs, gaming, etc. It has been a high priority for 3 years. Things are happening. Pocket PC, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC Phone Edition 2002, SmartPhone 2002, CE/PPC API alignment, etc. They may not be happening as fast as you or I would like, but it is moving faster than it appears. Lots of stuff going on in the back room.
I certainly hope so Ed because from my and many other PPC users perspective it looks as if MS is standing still when it comes to the Pocket PC. Phone Ed is all well and good but it�s only a slight upgrade from PPC 2002 and PPC 2002 is really only a .5 upgrade from PPC 2000. Now look at MS's push into the Tablet PC world, XBox, Windows XP. You compare it to some of its other projects and the Pocket PC format almost looks dead in comparison. I truly TRULY hope you are right and we are going to see something remarkably updated in the near future. I hope. But as I've stated before. I ain't holding my breath after the Pocket PC 2002 letdown. :?