Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 10-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Font Size Issue

One of the primary complaints on the new format is the size of the font. On the old layout, we used 10 point, and on this new one, we used 9 point. I wouldn't have thought 1 point was enough to make a difference, but a few people are complaining that it's hard to read. Normally I'd suggest making your browser font size bigger, but our designer used fixed-width fonts to help lock in the snazzy layout, so this change isn't possible. Personally, I love the 9 point font, but for those with less-than-stellar vision, I can understand your frustration. ops:

A helpful first-time poster named "B" chastised us for being lazy and disrespect of our readers for not using "em" to control the font size (which would also allow for browser-side font changes). I know very little about CSS, so I took the criticism in stride, but after our designer did some research, it seems that phpBB (the core engine of our site) doesn't seem to support EM measurements. So we're in a bit of a bind here, because phpBB is the heart the soul of our functionality.

At the moment we've increased the font size to 10 points - I hope that makes it easier for some of you to read. Until we figure out another solution, that's as big as you'll be able to make it - my apologies, especially to those of you with very poor eyesight. This was an unintentional side-effect of the new layout and we're working to correct it as soon as possible.

Xaximus
Pupil
Default Re: The Font Size Issue

Even on my 17" monitor at 1024x768 with system font size set to Large, I would have to say that I preferred the 10 pt font as well. It was much easier to read.

Elad Yakobowicz
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Elad Yakobowicz Send a message via MSN to Elad Yakobowicz

I'm viewing the site on my 17-inch monitor at 1024x768 resolution and text size set to Medium - font seems perfect to me right now.

adamz
Thinker

What about percentage based font sizes?

pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt

the 9 point font is great, for everyone who doesn't like it, there are just as many (if not more) who like 9 point rather than the 10 point.

cheers,
pt

Xaximus
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt
the 9 point font is great, for everyone who doesn't like it, there are just as many (if not more) who like 9 point rather than the 10 point.
As I could just as easily say that 95% of the viewers on the site prefer 10 pt, I say make it something that each user can specify via preferences or set up a poll .

whoopus
Pupil

The font looks fine to me. Of course that is probably because I am viewing the site on a Dell 21" monitor with a Triniton Flat Picture Tube! 8)

Seriously, the 9 point font looks great to me even on my laptop screen. Keep up the good work.

The only downside is that it is more obvious that I am browsing a website at work because all of the snazzy colors and graphics instead of doing my job! :wink:

mark

Old 10-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Survey added to the front page - cast your vote!

Old 10-09-2002, 01:29 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Survey added to the front page - cast your vote!
The survey looks inverted. Shouldn't it read old=10 point, new=9 point?

Old 10-09-2002, 01:30 PM
dhoward
Ponderer
Default Poll question is reversed

Your question re: font size has the references reversed.

Current one is 9 point, not 10 point and vice versa.

Now the poll can work properly.

Thanks.

PS As you get older, you will appreciate any font that is larger. Take it from one in bi-focals already.