Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Dell does $199 Pocket PC!

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-961283.html?tag=fd_top_1

Dude! You're... oh, you know. :wink: Dell will show two Pocket PCs this fall and one will be $199. 8O "Both handhelds are expected to be put on display at the Comdex Fall 2002 tradeshow in November, sources said. One handheld, which will incorporate a 300MHz Intel XScale processor, will sell for $199. The other handheld will include a 400MHz Intel XScale processor and sell for $299." I would also presume the 300MHz device will have 32MB of RAM and the $400MHz device would be the 64MB device we've seen.

If this holds up, Dell isn't firing a shot across HP's bow. They are aiming their cannon right at the hull. Source: Thomas22.

ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Well, and then match that with this:

http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules...iewtopic&t=220

and if both hold true, well, HPaq is probably sunk.

The only thing I wonder about is this...is Dell going to charge an extra $100 simply for the faster processor? Or were the previous rumours about built in Wireless true?

It's going to be an interesting few months...

Ed Hansberry

I have to wonder if the low end device will have dual slots. They could also save money with a 12 bit vs 16 bit screen. I don't think HP is sunk. They have the 2200 coming.

You know who I think is sunk? Someone selling a $499 16MB 200MHz single slot non-multitasking device. Who would that be.... where did I put that press release....? :wink:

Paragon
Magi

So let me know if I have my facts straight... I can buy an Ipaq for $550.00-$650.00 (ya, ya, I know you bought one for X dollars) with a transflective screen Xscale processor, and a single SD slot OR I can buy a Dell for $300.00 with a transflective screen, Xscale processor, and TWO yes TWO expansion slots an SD, and a CF. Somehow I don't see sleeve expandability being worth that much...call me a fool

Dave

Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
So let me know if I have my facts straight... I can buy an Ipaq for $550.00-$650.00
I agree 100%. That model dies the day the Dell ships. $400 max for that type of device going forward.

Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

$199? Holy crap - and here I thought the $299 price point was going to be the big shock of the year...

Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I agree 100%. That model dies the day the Dell ships. $400 max for that type of device going forward.
I don't know about you Ed, but I think Dell getting into the Pocket PC market is beginning to look like one of the best things to happen to it in a long time. Real competition!

Dave

Paragon
Magi

Hey, does anyone remember that company...I think their name was Palm. They used to make sub $200.00 PDA's but Dell came along and started selling PPCs for the same kind of money and they went down the tubes....anybody remember them?

Dave

Old 10-09-2002, 12:04 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default I thought I was first

I thought I would be first to hear. I am at the Microsoft Exchange Conference in Anaheim and was talking to the mobile folks (some of the MS employees are clueless - sorry)... and a few of the more intelligent people (like Dale Coffing - not even a MS employee) were talking about the Clemente and other devices. The comment made was that the price was going to be even lower than people expected. A few other tidbits I picked up.

1) A Swedish company is going to show a PPC PE with WiFi, BT, and dual slots all integrated. I am going to try and sneak a peak at 11am at the MS booth when they bring it over to the MS booth for a phone demo.
2) Two different Toshiba sub-companies designed the 550G and e740 and are competing with each other. Toshiba North America is pissed that the Japanese group that designed the 550G is marketing it to CompUSA.
3) There will be an e750 (or e760) Toshiba with fixes in how the video memory is shadowed. Probably more XScale fixes too.
4) Smartphone 2002 devices are definately on the way with Europe getting them next quarter and North America first calendar quarter 2003.

Old 10-09-2002, 12:04 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I have to wonder if the low end device will have dual slots. They could also save money with a 12 bit vs 16 bit screen. I don't think HP is sunk. They have the 2200 coming.
Well, and again I'm making a big leap here, but if the PDAFrance document is accurate than I think the only difference between the models is the processor and the memory (being that in the PDAFrance specs those were the only factors that varied). That being said, there are some very odd things about the specs given (QVGA?) so I don't know.

But I would assume that a different screen or an additional slot would represent more than a $100 difference (my theory being one of the ways they're keeping the price down is by using a LOT of common components between the two).

I do have to say this price does make me a little uneasy about Quality control concerns...but then again...Dell's always been good with warranties too!

Oh, and I guess we know why all those manufacturers were so eager to turn Dell down now