Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default GSM/GPRS Sleeve for the iPAQ no more

http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/wireless_solutions.html

It would seem that after months of delays, HP has finally decided to cancel the iPAQ GSM/GPRS sleeve based on the fact it has been removed from their pages. (Those pages by the way are now sporting the new HP look rather than taking you to the old Compaq site.) This doesn't come as a huge surprise since the much talked about 5000 will have a GSM/GPRS model. Source: fmiralles

Old 10-03-2002, 02:47 PM
hrianto
Pupil

For anyone that still want to have GSM/GPRS function in their iPaq or PPC they always can go to audiovox Tri Band GSM/GPRS Compact Flash Card.
Here is the link
http://www.audiovox.com/cgi-bin/ncom...rrfnbr=1472612

Old 10-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrianto
For anyone that still want to have GSM/GPRS function in their iPaq or PPC they always can go to audiovox Tri Band GSM/GPRS Compact Flash Card.
Which I'm currently test and previewed at PPCW.Net today.

However, you need a headset to make voice calls which you wasn't forced to use with the Wireless Pack - a real pro for the Wireless Pack

Old 10-03-2002, 04:27 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default US

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrianto
Here is the link
http://www.audiovox.com/cgi-bin/ncom...rrfnbr=1472612
Unfortunately, you cannot buy it if you live in the US. Anyone know where these are being sold?

Old 10-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Pinnacle
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Pinnacle

Plus, the Audiovox card isn't being supported by T-Mobile in the US; and it's very, very, tough to get it set up with GPRS. And, the card doesn't support Dial-Up.

It works beautifully for Voice, but who wants a card sticking out of their PPC that doesn't offer easy data as well?

In the US, the Audiovox card is worthless right now without a lot of headaches. I know...I've owned one since the first week it was offered by PDAorDie.com, an overseas company that ships to the US.

Old 10-04-2002, 06:15 AM
Terry
Intellectual

AT&T Wireless has a plastic mock-up of the sleeve on display in their California stores (although they don't actually have them or know anything about them).

Old 10-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: GSM/GPRS Sleeve for the iPAQ no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/options/wireless_solutions.html

It would seem that after months of delays, HP has finally decided to cancel the iPAQ GSM/GPRS sleeve based on the fact it has been removed from their pages. (Those pages by the way are now sporting the new HP look rather than taking you to the old Compaq site.) This doesn't come as a huge surprise since the much talked about 5000 will have a GSM/GPRS model.
So the only evidence of this pack being "cancelled" is that it's not listed on the product pages? I can see at least two reasons why this could have happened.

First, maybe it got delayed, and they didn't want vaporware on their Web site any more.

Second, maybe during the conversion of the Web site to use the HP look, some things got lost in the shuffle.

I think there should be some confirmation before raising this flag. An HP press release would be best, but has anyone actually asked HP about this?

I don't think the iPAQ 5000 is a reasonable solution, as people who want GSM/GPRS and have an existing iPAQ will now have to buy a new Pocket PC, not just a sleeve.

Steve

Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 PM
teddyp
Pupil
Default Alive and well in the UK

This jacket is still listed on the UK site and has been available for some time. It is real I have used one!

Old 10-04-2002, 03:07 PM
SassKwatch
Philosopher
Default Re: GSM/GPRS Sleeve for the iPAQ no more

[quote="Pony99CA"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
First, maybe it got delayed, and they didn't want vaporware on their Web site any more.
"Maybe it got delayed" is the understatement of the year.

I had been user of a Visor Deluxe/VisorPhone combo and, for the most part, that served my needs fairly well. But I had also been eyeing PocketPC's for a while and when the iPAQ 38xx series was introduced last fall with an accompanying 'coming soon' announcement of the GSM/GPRS sleeve, I snatched up a 3835 in a heartbeat.

And waited......., and waited, and waited......for the sleeve release. Waited anxiously past the first announced release date of Dec '01.......waited past the Jan '02 announced release date....waited past the announced Mar '02 release date....waited past the announced June '02 release date. Waited when it was released in Europe that in retrospect appears to have been a beta test.

So yeah, one might say it's 'delayed'. More likely though, it's dead.

-= Sass =-

Old 10-04-2002, 07:13 PM
ETARD33
Neophyte
Default Not quite!

Hi all, I saw this topic and became worried so I posted a query regarding this matter at compaq and to my relief here is the reply.

Reply From: SAVeira
October 3,2002 2:00pm Rate this reply:

The GSM/GPRS sleeve has been taken off the HP web site, but it has not been cancelled for North America. Once sleeve is released in North America, it will come back on the HP web site.