Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HP to release 2 new iPAQs - one in the $200-$400 range

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-960522.html?tag=fd_top

HP is going to release a new iPAQ in the $200-$400 range which, according to HP, accounts for 50% of the overall handheld market. It will bear a family resemblance to the current iPAQ but will be much thinner and smaller. It will have an SD slot. That means the sleeves are not supported. They also talked of a $400-$650 higher end device, presumably the 5000. Initially there will be WiFi and bluetooth versions but integrated GSM/GPRS is also in the works.

The article also talks of the 29 licensees Microsoft now has and that the low-mid range is a target, citing the Dell and ViewSonic devices as examples. "Ed Suwanjindar, a spokesman for Microsoft. "Attacking the low- and midrange tiers is absolutely a priority for us." Suwanjindar added that with its 29 licensees, Microsoft will seek to address all market niches with several different partners in each." Thanks to Foo Fighter for the link.

Old 10-02-2002, 09:28 PM
bdeli
Thinker

Interesting to note that the high end device will be in the 400-650$ range. That would be really good...seems like HP/Compaq are feeling the pinch from the new competitors like ViewSonic/DELL etc.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:26 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default price

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeli
Interesting to note that the high end device will be in the 400-650$ range. That would be really good...seems like HP/Compaq are feeling the pinch from the new competitors like ViewSonic/DELL etc.
Which would make buying any current 39xx model at the $700+ range silly. I thought it was dumb to do it anyway.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:18 PM
mrvjtod
Neophyte
Default buy now

But I'm ready to buy one now. 8O

I've seen the pictures - now I want to play with one.

When are they going to have the all in one - GPRS/Bluetooth/802.11b

Old 10-02-2002, 11:32 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

""Attacking the low- and midrange tiers is absolutely a priority for us." Suwanjindar added"

In other words. When you have tried to sell $500-600 devices for years and still have only 25% or less of the market and they guys who have the lions share are winning by owning the sub-$500 market and now are getting models that are going to trump your whole line even up to that $600 level....and you have no choice but to try to compete marketwide...say, "I MEANT to do that."

Old 10-02-2002, 11:44 PM
ThomasC22
Sage
Send a message via MSN to ThomasC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson

In other words. When you have tried to sell $500-600 devices for years and still have only 25% or less of the market and they guys who have the lions share are winning by owning the sub-$500 market and now are getting models that are going to trump your whole line even up to that $600 level....and you have no choice but to try to compete marketwide...say, "I MEANT to do that."
Actually, I'm pretty sure they did mean to do just that. Market share isn't all it's cracked up to be and Palm is by no means "winning" as a matter of fact, and this is in large part because of their high price, Compaq (now HP) has made more money than Palm off their PDA business for over a year now.

So, now that they see the $500+ market is starting to saturate, they're tackling the sub $500 market to make more money. That's just good business.

Old 10-03-2002, 12:01 AM
van_mierlo
Ponderer
Default it has started

The Marketing war has started......who's gonna win the x-mas sales increase with the right promises

Old 10-03-2002, 12:02 AM
st63z
Philosopher

Will CNet soon have a video clip of the models they were shown in the interview?

BTW, I just realized I don't think I've seen Jason's name lately, is he off working on a secret review of these new iPAQs?

Old 10-03-2002, 12:16 AM
mookie123
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Rapson
""Attacking the low- and midrange tiers is absolutely a priority for us." Suwanjindar added"

actually what is more amazing everytime PPC enters, it wipes out rival product in that price segment. Palm has consistently retreating from segment to segment.

There is practically no $499 Palm now except for the ultra chick Sony NR. I would venture to guess now that PPC manufacturer are entering the $299 price niche, there won't be anything left afterward in that segment. Palm Inc would have to reduce the Tungsten to $299 or less to hold on to market share.

Admitedly PPC hasn't quite reach the critical mass in consumer market beyond tech savvy geeks. (just take a look at apps title being develops) But I think the $299 devices would change that. And the track record is pretty confincing.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:31 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter
Default Re: it has started

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_mierlo
The Marketing war has started......who's gonna win the x-mas sales increase with the right promises
Merry xScale...er, I mean xmas! :x-mas: