Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Stupid Like A Fox

You may find this hard to believe, but sometimes I'm not the "sharpest tool in the shed." No, really, I know that stretches your imagination, but at times my stupidity and forgetfulness are beyond compare. Case in point...

Last weekend, my family and I prepared to spend a nice long weekend at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I was sure I had packed all of the necessities for the trip (Pocket PC, modem, SnapNType keyboard, etc.) before we headed out. Of course, it wasn't until we got to the hotel that I realized I hadn't brought the power cord for my iPAQ. Duh.

Thank heaven, then, that several months ago I had tossed a couple of accessories into my suitcase that had never gotten unpacked: an InstantPower Power Cartridge and a Seidio Emergency Power Kit.

Going into the weekend, though, I wasn't entirely sure just what kind of performance I'd get from these tools. Here's what I found:

� The Seidio Automobile Charger was able to recharge my iPAQ 3870/PCMCIA sleeve combo from 20% to full power in about 90 minutes
� The Seidio Emergency Charger (with 9-volt battery) charged my "naked" iPAQ 3870 from 20% to full power in a little over two hours.
� A single 9-volt battery had enough power to recharge my "naked" iPAQ from 20% to full power about 1� times.
� I used my iPAQ/PCMCIA sleeve with a Toshiba 2GB hard drive to watch some movies, and I know what a power hog this kind of drive is. However, a single InstantPower Power Cartridge was sufficient to allow me to watch two entire, full-length movies. [In fact, the movies --
Silverado and ConAir -- actually had a combined playing time of nearly five hours.]

I sincerely hope that the next time I go on any kind of a trip I'll be able to scrape together enough brain cells to remember to take my iPAQ charging cord. However, it sure is nice to know that these backup tools will be able to pull me through in the (unlikely) event that I can't.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: Stupid Like A Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Last weekend, my family and I prepared to spend a nice long weekend at Myrtle Beach, North Carolina. [...]
� I used my iPAQ/PCMCIA sleeve with a Toshiba 2GB hard drive to watch some movies, and I know what a power hog this kind of drive is. However, a single InstantPower Power Cartridge was sufficient to allow me to watch two entire, full-length movies. [...] -- actually had a combined playing time of nearly five hours.
You spent the weekend with your family and watched 5 hours DVD!? 8O
Ts ts ts... What does your family think about it!?
"Don't disturb Dad, he is watching DVDs in his vacation through his iPAQ"... :wink:

Old 09-26-2002, 11:57 AM
fulltilt
Pupil
Default cunning like a fox....

Good info Brad.
Question, to save me looking it up again for the nth time, where is the best source of info for ripping movies so you can watch them on your ipaq :?:

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:19 PM
tccox
Ponderer

[quote="Brad Adrian"]You may find this hard to believe, but sometimes I'm not the "sharpest tool in the shed." No, really, I know that stretches your imagination, but at times my stupidity and forgetfulness are beyond compare. Case in point...

Last weekend, my family and I prepared to spend a nice long weekend at Myrtle Beach, North Carolina. I was sure I had packed all of the . Duh.

quote]

Gee Brad, did'nt help yourself any by moving Myrtle Beach to North Carolina....Try South Carolina........

Old 09-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Bob S
Ponderer

8O So why wasn't "Bring the Charger" in the Tasks list on your IPAQ? :?:

Old 09-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
I sincerely hope that the next time I go on any kind of a trip I'll be able to scrape together enough brain cells to remember to take my iPAQ charging cord.
This is what your Pocket PC is for. :wink: Install ListPro and add a "Travel Checklist" to it. Simply check it before each trip. I haven't forgotten anything on any trip in nearly 3 years.

Old 09-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Hess
You spent the weekend with your family and watched 5 hours DVD!?
I had to do SOMETHING during the 4-hour drive, didn't I?

No, actually, I seldom get to sleep before 1am, so the movies gave me something to do after everybody else was in dreamland.

Old 09-26-2002, 01:23 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox
Gee Brad, did'nt help yourself any by moving Myrtle Beach to North Carolina....Try South Carolina........
You know, I ALWAYS do that. Is it because I'm a true Yankee at heart?

Old 09-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Paragon
Magi

Brad, I'm curious as to what type of 9 volt batteries you use? I have the "Emergency power adapter" and so far it has been a dud for me. I can't find any 9 volt batteries with a decent life span. It seems like a neat litte adapter I would hate to not use it because of poor battery choice on my part.

Actually we may be able to let you off the hook on the north and south mistake. As I remember there is one hole on a Mertle Beach golf course where you can tee off in South Carolina and as long as you don't duff it your ball will land in North Carolina.

Dave

Old 09-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Brad, I'm curious as to what type of 9 volt batteries you use?
I used a brand-new Duracell. Remember, I only used it to re-juice my iPAQ without any sleeves.