Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A special Silver Slider offer for Pocket PC Thoughts readers

http://www.pdamotion.com/eshop/store-detail.asp?categoryID=200209131102302&subcategoryID=1&subcategory=&txtPicName=product%2Dna%2Egif

Ok, quick, even if you love your iPAQ, what are the two things you wish it had? Take a big step forward if you said a cover and a CF card slot. Now get ready to click on that link, because if there's one thing I love, it's when vendors come to me with a special offer just for Thoughts readers. And this one is a dandy!

Let me present the new and improved Silver Slider 2 with a color cover:

(Blue is shown above, but they're also available in red, green, and silver)

Here's the short version: buy a Silver Slider 2 for $49.95 and get a free built-in colour cover...normal price for everyone else is $69.95, so you're saving $20 off the top, and for every product sold a few bucks come back to support this site. Everybody wins! This is a limited time offer, so order soon - it will likely only last ten days.

If you're not familiar with the Silver Slider, it's a design created by the famous "George M", a clever guy who thought the Compaq CF card sleeve was too bulky. He took his Dremel to the sleeve, and the rest is history - the result was a sexy Silver CF card sleeve that was thinner and lighter than the original. A company named PDA Motion came along and offered to mass-produce the Silver Slider and paid George a royalty (unlike the company in China who simply ripped-off his design).

Some of you may be asking "Is this the same PDA Motion that took forever to ship the last Silver Slider?". Yes, it is - but this time, things will be different. Unlike the problems from last year, they have the Silver Sliders in stock today, waiting for you to click that link. I'm also on an advisory board for PDA Motion (along with a few other Pocket PC industry-types), helping to guide them in product choices and market decisions.

And there you have it - I'll chime in later with more details and a review of the Silver Slider 2 w/Color Cover.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:46 AM
aerin44
Pupil

I am in the process of choosing my first PDA. I like a lot of things about the iPaq(Screen, Bluetooth accessories etc.) however I decided against buying one because it doesn't have a CF slot. Are there any negative points to using an iPaq with a silver slider? For example, will it still fit in the cradle?

Also, how tough is the cover? Is it hard enough to prevent damage to the screen while carrying the iPaq in a backpack?

Old 09-24-2002, 11:27 AM
denivan
Theorist

:2gunfire: For customers of the 50 United States only.

:cry:

Old 09-24-2002, 11:29 AM
langleyt
Neophyte

Shame its not available outside the US.

There are some PocketPCThoughts fans outside the US you know. :wink:

Old 09-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Zensbikeshop
Intellectual
Default Not Again!

:evil: Yet another offer that is only available in the US.

I thought that PPC Thoughts was a global site but I'm beginning to realise that it is a US centric site.

Sad really..

Old 09-24-2002, 12:54 PM
dartman
Intellectual

Does it work with all IPAQ models? I still have a 3635.

Dart

Old 09-24-2002, 12:56 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default Hey, Relax

The man doesn't control where his affiliates sell to. You don;t here me complaining about the singapore centric deals on ppcsg or the english on some of the other sites. Maybe if you're real nice, they ship you one. Other than laws and regulations, I can't imagine a company refusing to sell their product. :wink:

Old 09-24-2002, 01:09 PM
st63z
Philosopher

Heh, you know when Jason posts a deal after midnight US time, many of the first replies will be complaints from across our shores

Seriously though, I STILL have my defective, unused original PDA Motion Silver Slider, for which they've never replied back to me with an RMA :x

After the first attempts to reach them had failed, I posted in one of the PDA Motion complaint threads somewhere and Kemas as I recall promised to try to look it up, but then he reached the end of his personal rope with company problems and left (for which I don't blame him).

The defect I'm referring to is not just that the CF slot on my SS was put on backwards, it's that one side of the CF section separated from the PDA sleeve section so there's a gap there, and the sleeve section is thus warped and you *can't* physically insert an iPAQ into it.

P.S. That said, I'm still tempted to order this, it's a nice accessory purchase and I'm currently in a gadget rut...

Old 09-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Fattizzi
Pupil
Default Cheer up

Everyone should cut Jason some slack. He is trying to pass on a deal to his readers. What his affiliate does as far as where they ship/sell to is something you should email the affiliate. It surely doesnt mean that PPCThoughs is not a global site. That doesnt make sense.

As far as past bad experiences with PDA Motion. When they first started making the Silver Slider Copy, I actually pre-ordered one. I paid via pay-pal and a few short weeks after, I recieved it in the mail. I was concerned and whenever I contacted them, they replied. They are aware of their mistakes and hopefully have corrected them. If anyone has started their own business, it isnt easy...especially one that runs on the internet. So cut them some slack too. Their product is awesome.

Just look at the credible people involved with PDAMotion now. Jason Dunn and George. You cant go wrong. So go ahead and order a silver slider for 50 bucks and support this site

P.S. I am not affiliated with anyone mentioned above. Just enjoy the site and recognize quality merchandise.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:46 PM
Paragon
Magi

I can tell you that as long as George is involved there should not be any problems. George will not stand for it. If there is one thing we have learned about George M in the last 2 1/2 years it is that he cares very deeply how his customers are treated. He is unparalleled in this area. If there are any problems he will demand they be fixed or he will disassociated himself.

Dave