Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-15-2002, 01:20 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default ActiveSync 3.6 has been released

http://download.microsoft.com/download/activesync/Install/3.6/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/msasync.exe

Sometimes I forget how much you guys like new things - even if I don't find them particularly interesting. Well, there's a new 3.6 release of ActiveSync. I learned about it last week, but after learning that the only new feature was Smartphone 2002 support, I yawned and kept going. Well, it would appear that the list of improvements is a little more compelling than that, so it's time to post. Here's what ActiveSync 3.6 will do for you:

� Smartphone 2002, OS version 3.0 support
� Improved remote synchronization experience
� Configure server synchronization settings from your PC
� ActiveSync pass-through connection
� Improved USB support
� More robust synchronization with Outlook
� Configure synchronization settings prior to first synchronization, including custom synchronization settings

Source: Paul P

Old 09-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

hijack warning
Microsoft really needs to upgrade their bandwidth. It has been downloading for 5 minutes on my DSL connection and I just tested it - I am over 1Megabit right now on my connection. All those XP SP1 downloads just clogging their system.

I wasn't going to bother with 3.6 until I saw this post. Remote sync improvements is something I am interested in. Wonder why www.pocketpc.com still doesn't have this?

Old 09-15-2002, 02:26 AM
Ed Hansberry

Hmmm... the msxml3.dll file is new - given the size that must be an XP SP1 fix. I wonder if it will make the guest issue happen less frequently.

08/29/2002 03:41 AM 1,122,304 msxml3.dll

Windows 2000 SP3 has the following:
01/07/2002 05:31 PM 1,105,408 msxml3.dll Doesn't look very new. Then again, the XP file above could be just as old. Everything from SP1 looks like it has the same time stamp.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:29 AM
msprague
Thinker

One remote sync improvement I was hoping to see was the ability to establish a new partnership over ethernet, but this is still not possible. It is still necessary to establish a partnership with cradle, cable or infrared first. :cry:

Old 09-15-2002, 02:35 AM
Chris Edwards
Pupil

I've been running this for about a week now with no problems so far.

Here's a more detailed changelist from the README:

6. WHAT'S NEW

Feature: Improved remote synchronization experience.
Benefit: ActiveSync no longer blocks remote synchronization with dialog boxes that pop up on your desktop computer, so you can slide in the WLAN or wireless modem card and synchronize with your desktop computer anywhere you can access your network.

Feature: Configure server synchronization settings from your PC.
Benefit: ActiveSync can synchronize information on your desktop PC and/or a Microsoft Exchange Server with the information on your mobile device. This requires Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 or later.

Feature: ActiveSync pass-through connection.
Benefit: Enables you to use your USB cradle connection to pass through your desktop PC to access the Internet or a network with your mobile device. You can then perform tasks, such as browsing the Internet, or downloading IMAP/POP 3 e-mail messages.

Feature: Improved USB support.
Benefit: Windows 2000 USB driver issues in the previous version of ActiveSync have been fixed.

Feature: More robust synchronization with Outlook.
Benefit: Synchronization with Outlook is now more reliable and robust than before.

Feature: Configure synchronization settings prior to first synchronization, including custom synchronization settings.
Benefit: Enable all of the ActiveSync options you need in a single step.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
One remote sync improvement I was hoping to see was the ability to establish a new partnership over ethernet, but this is still not possible. It is still necessary to establish a partnership with cradle, cable or infrared first. :cry:
I think this is a security issue so people cannot remotely attach to your desktop and initate a sync and get your info. This is a requested feature, but the security required to implement it is probably a bit more than a .1 upgrade in AS would need.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 AM
hrianto
Pupil

One remote sync improvement I was hoping to see was the ability to establish a new partnership over ethernet, but this is still not possible. It is still necessary to establish a partnership with cradle, cable or infrared first.

I want to see this one as well. I wonder why they don't include it. With built in WiFi capable device, this feature is a must. Maybe version 4.0

Old 09-15-2002, 02:46 AM
msprague
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I think this is a security issue so people cannot remotely attach to your desktop and initate a sync and get your info. This is a requested feature, but the security required to implement it is probably a bit more than a .1 upgrade in AS would need.
I would expect user acknowledgement from both the PC and the PPC to initially establish the partnership, then after that it would function the same as it does now.

Old 09-15-2002, 02:58 AM
danielzr
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
hijack warning
Microsoft really needs to upgrade their bandwidth. It has been downloading for 5 minutes on my DSL connection and I just tested it - I am over 1Megabit right now on my connection. All those XP SP1 downloads just clogging their system.

I wasn't going to bother with 3.6 until I saw this post. Remote sync improvements is something I am interested in. Wonder why
www.pocketpc.com still doesn't have this?
Well, last week they also posted Windows XP SP1 and IE 6 SP1... So alot of downloading has been going on... I didn't bother downloading any of them last week... (Although my installation of XP has been waiting for SP1 to arrive)

Old 09-15-2002, 03:00 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
I would expect user acknowledgement from both the PC and the PPC to initially establish the partnership, then after that it would function the same as it does now.
Then just use a cradle. :confused totally:

I am hoping they are working on some form of authentication where you can establish a connection remotely where you log in using Windows NT based (Win2K/XP) authentication where your NT userID and password are verified from the PPC side using a one way hash where it is secure even over a non-secure line.