Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default What PDA/phone can pass the test?

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2877510,00.html

David Berlind is sure an opinionated guy, and he shares opinions on how he feels the current crop of PDA/phone hybrids are lacking. Not surprisingly, the T-Mobile takes the bulk of the his slams. I agree with some of his points, but he's looking at it from the perspective of a heavy cell phone user - not as someone whose needs are data first and voice second. Rather than refute his points one by one on this site, I've E-mailed him and asked if he'd be interested in a head to head debate of his current list of requirements. Odds are he won't even respond, but we'll see. What do you think of his list?

"Before getting to the list, I'd like to say something about convergence and what the T-Mobile device taught me. The T-Mobile device is powered by the Phone Edition of Microsoft's Pocket PC 2002 operating system. The group at Microsoft that is responsible for Pocket PC 2002 officially lives by the ethos that "software matters." When it comes to converged devices, I couldn't agree more. Software is the glue needed to marry a phone to a PDA in a way that produces a rich user experience that not only rivals the best phones and PDAs, but far exceeds them. After all, isn't the whole supposed to be greater than the sum of its parts?

That said, I expected Microsoft's appreciation of software would help turn the T-Mobile device as well as other devices based on the Pocket PC OS into must haves. But I've lived with the device and the operating system long enough to say that its designers clearly lacked the inspiration needed to produce an exhilarating marriage.

Even officials from VoiceStream admitted to me that their goal wasn't to produce the best phone. In separate conversations with Microsoft, I got the distinct feeling that they didn't think this device should be considered as a replacement for my existing phone. Excuse me? If adding Pocket PC-like PDA functionality to a telephone isn't an opportunity to produce the best phone money can buy, then I don't know what is." Source: Various

Old 08-16-2002, 08:53 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default SmartPhone

I still wonder if this guy knows about the MS SmartPhone initiative? It is obvious what he wants is a SmartPhone device and not a PDA. If the focus is on making a great phone, then the phone is the foundation and PDA like features are added. If the PDA is the foundation, phone like features are added.

I believe it is possible to have the best of both worlds eventually... but I have not seen others come close yet, so why this anti-MS bent on first generation applications of this converging space? I think it is nothing but real anti-MS bias wrapped around by the facade of the media establishing a high-standard that no one is able to reach yet.

I can see the same thing happening with the Tablet PC. It will get trashed in the media.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I say: "I enjoy reading your articles (http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupda...877510,00.html) because you certainly have some interesting opinions, but I'm honestly surprised how much you're missing the point so badly on the concept of a PDA with phone features.

A PDA with phone features is not a phone. Period.

Modern day phones are tiny, with small screens, weak CPUs, and little to no decent software functionality. Most people pick them up, use them for calls, then put them back in their pockets. They are highly optimized devices because they do one thing - and there are distinct advantages to that. If you're a heavy phone user and you pick up a Pocket PC Phone Edition device expecting it to replace your cell phone, of course you're going to be disappointed! But if you're like me, someone who is a light cell phone user (less than 100 hours a month of talk time) but carries a cell phone everywhere anyway, a Pocket PC with phone functionality is perfect.

In reading over your list of requirements, there are many that I would like to refute. Rather than do it privately, would you be interested in some sort of "head to head debate" on-line column? I know my readers would enjoy it, and I can assure you of a lively debate. Let me know.

He says: "Sounds interesting, but no thanks. The majority of our readers say that in order for a phone to be a good phone, it better not be just as good as the best phone was 5 years ago. It had better hold its own against today's phones. Why, because if I get one of these, it's going to replace the one I carry with me know. I don't want to step back." - db

I say: "Compromise exists in everything. A laptop offers portability, but can't match the sheer power of a desktop system. A Pocket PC Phone Edition offers a richer data experience than a phone, but less battery life due to bigger screen, more powerful CPU, etc. Anyone who wants the best of everything without compromise isn't living on this plane of existence. ;-)"

Old 08-16-2002, 09:16 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default debate

I would love to see a debate....

Let the mud fly! :twisted:

Old 08-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

While I agree with you Jason, I don't think this "phone with PDA features" vs. "PDA with phone features" confusion is ever really going to be resolved logically. The sheer number of cell phones wielders vs. the number of PDA-packers is always going to mean that the reviews are done from a phone standpoint. Battery life will win over utility every time.

At this point in most people's minds there are phones, PDAs, and these new hybrids. Once the Smartphone hits the mainstream we may be able to differentiate between PDAs with phone capability and Phones with PDA capability. Until that happens the MS PPCPE will always be seen as a lackluster phone first, and a connectable PDA last (if at all).

Thanks for trying to set everyone right, but don't lose any sleep over it. Most people just don't get it and probably never will.

---
Bwana jim

Old 08-16-2002, 09:26 PM
dunneldeen
Intellectual

I see the whole problem in this one statement.

"If adding Pocket PC-like PDA functionality to a telephone isn't an opportunity to produce the best phone money can buy, then I don't know what is."

The thing is, a Pocket PC Phone is not a telephone with PDA functionality, it is entirely the opposite, a PDA with telephone functionality. When you realize that, one would think that your expectations would have to change.

I think it should have read "If adding telephone functionality to a PDA isn't an opportunity to produce the best PDA money can buy, then I don't know what is." But then, that wouldn't have matched the rest of his article :wink:

Old 08-16-2002, 09:40 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default Perception

'Perception is reality'

I think that Bwanajim's comment is correct. Most people will expect one thing and get another just because that is what they know. That expectation will change with the SmartPhone and people will realize the differences. It should be said however, that David Berlin should know as an observer of the industry - well enough on his own to make the distinction. He slams the T-Mobile device with his best disparaging remarks while treading lightly on anything negative he may say against Palm based solutions.

I believe it is only partly about customer expectation/perception and more about putting down anything Microsoft does.

Old 08-16-2002, 09:45 PM
fundmgr90210
Ponderer

It seems that a lot of energy has been spent recently by the friends and contributors of this site on putting a positive spin on the HTC unit's less than stellar reception. I didn't know this device was so important to PPC's success?

Old 08-16-2002, 09:52 PM
PlayAgain?
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to PlayAgain?
Default Re: SmartPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
I can see the same thing happening with the Tablet PC. It will get trashed in the media.
I beg to differ. There isn't much around at the moment that does what a TabletPC will be able to do. It is breaking new ground (IMHO).

However, when Microsoft finally get to release their smartphone, it'll be joining an already established market. With the T68, 7650, 9210, 9290, 9210i, P800, 7210, Treo and others which will be already on the market, what Microsoft will be pushing as new will be old hat and the public will think "Hmmmm, there's nice - but just more of the same".

Don't believe me? Just look at Andy's excitement over recordable ringtones - that's old technology that people have been enjoying for years yet Microsoft seems to think it's a new idea!

But TabletPC stuff? Not many (if any) people have already done that, it's new. So in that field, I say "Go Microsoft!" and I think the media will back Microsoft in that innovation.

Sorry, a little off topic but I'm sure you'll have no trouble ignoring me :cry: !

Old 08-16-2002, 09:55 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmgr90210
It seems that a lot of energy has been spent recently by the friends and contributors of this site on putting a positive spin on the HTC unit's less than stellar reception. I didn't know this device was so important to PPC's success?
Reception by the press or reception over the air?

I doubt that the HTC will be the last of its kind. What will indicate success in the phone industry will be what the landscape looks like for smartphone devices 12-18 months after they are launched. The PDA+Phone market will be more mature and distinct by then.

It is too early to say it is a success or failure, but I have little patience for 'industry analysts/commentators/pundits' speaking in a position of media authority who haven't the slightest clue to how these devices are meant to be used and nary mention that there is both a phone centric solution and a PDA centric solution to meet different tastes/needs.