Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-14-2002, 02:05 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Simple is what you call yourself

when you don't have much to offer. That was the anti-Palm Pocket PC slogan a couple of years ago. In short, the same slogan can be used to summarize PC World's Buyer's Guide. "If you simply need to maintain an up-to-date appointment calendar, contact list, and to-do list when you are away from your PC, your best bet is to stick with Palm OS devices."

Seriously, I think the article is a good read and does a pretty job in explaining the different PDA options on the market today. The article's unspoken statement is "Pocket PC for strength. Palm for simplicity".

Old 08-14-2002, 02:23 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Oh give me a break.
Quote:
If you simply need to maintain an up-to-date appointment calendar, contact list, and to-do list when you are away from your PC, your best bet is to stick with Palm OS devices. Their easy-to-use data synchronization stands out. However, Pocket PC devices handle PC-like apps better while still offering conventional scheduling and contact synchronization. But this higher functionality can add up to a more complex system to master.
I have actually heard more problems with how Palm syncs data in limitations of the HotSync software. Syncing documents usually requires a conduit and you need to press a button to ensure your device is up to date. I'll grant you that when ActiveSync doesn't work, it can be a pain to troubleshoot, but it usually works fine from document conversion, email attachment configuration and seamless Avantgo syncing.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default I miss syncing my palm

I miss syncronizing my Palm. I wish I could have a button to push to sync my Pocket PC. I think auto-syncing is idiotic and one should be forced to push a button to get the job done. :P

Kidding aside, I do agree that the Palm is simplistic and because it is so simplistic, a perfect match for those with simple organizing needs. If the Palm fanatics or anti-MS crowd could get over the Microsoft envy/hatred, they would see that as soon as they outgrow their Palm, a Pocket PC is an awesome platform to graduate to. This article eludes to that very well.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:53 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Re: I miss syncing my palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
...I think auto-syncing is idiotic and one should be forced to push a button to get the job done...
First of all, I think we need a new emoticon for indicating absolute sarcasm like this! Second, this is a "feature" of Palm devices that I will never understand. Whenever I leave my office, it's usually at the last minute that I grab my Pocket PC, so I am always SOOOO glad we've got the ability to synch continuously. Is there some benefit to the pushbutton method that I'm missing?

Old 08-14-2002, 03:12 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Quote:
...I think auto-syncing is idiotic and one should be forced to push a button to get the job done...
First of all, I think we need a new emoticon for indicating absolute sarcasm like this!

I like the third one personally. Looks like someone about to bust out laughing.

And Brad - button pushing is Zen. Autosync is bloat. Say that tonight as you drift off to sleep.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:26 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If the Palm fanatics or anti-MS crowd could get over the Microsoft envy/hatred, they would see that as soon as they outgrow their Palm, a Pocket PC is an awesome platform to graduate to. This article eludes to that very well.
I can personally attest to this. I've been a happy iPAQ user for 2 years (3650 to 3870) after having 3 Palm's, the last being a Vx. At the time, I really liked my Palm's and got a great deal of use out of them.

I'm now on the project team evaluating a possible mobile/wireless solution for my company. As part of that, I've forced myself to give up my iPAQ and use a Palm m515 as my primary device. Well, I lasted about 3 weeks. Now I'm using both. I am still using the m515 as it's still in contention (for a variety of factors...but that's another story) and I have to, but it's the iPAQ I bring home every night. :wink:

Having enjoyed the PPC O/S for a while now, I find the Palm O/S very difficult to go back to. It seems like I've stepped back a generation or two. So while I agree that the Palm O/S is the "keep it simple" solution, I think it should be added that it would be very difficult to go back to after "mastering the more complex system."

Still, bottom line for me at this point is that, until the PPC gets a wireless solution that keeps the form factor small, Blackberry's will rule the Enterprise.

Then again, maybe it's just me. 8)

Old 08-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Quote:
First of all, I think we need a new emoticon for indicating absolute sarcasm like this!

I like the third one personally. Looks like someone about to bust out laughing.
I think the first one is best. The third one looks like its getting ready to hurl.

---
Bwana Jim

Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

I love Pocket PCs, but first and formost I LOVE technology. I can not even imagine what my home would look like if I was able to afford all of the goodies I want. What I am getting at, is that even though I LOVE PPC, it is not the best solution for everyone. WE (PPC users) tend to forget that. The best solution is whateveer is right for the individual user.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:28 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMountford
I love Pocket PCs, but first and formost I LOVE technology. I can not even imagine what my home would look like if I was able to afford all of the goodies I want. What I am getting at, is that even though I LOVE PPC, it is not the best solution for everyone. WE (PPC users) tend to forget that. The best solution is whateveer is right for the individual user.
I agree partially. The best solution is the one that works for you. However, it isn't generally the PPC side that forgets it. Most PPC users get vocal when people start yelling "Zen" and "Bloat" and say you must be simple (simplistic) and then go out and spend $500 on a Sony so you can have music and decent color screen, but still lack so many other things native to the Pocket PC - good email, MS Reader, common sense file system, voice recording, etc.

It is generally the Palm audience that demands you use Palm because you shouldn't have more needs than a Palm can provide. :roll:

Old 08-14-2002, 02:50 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Could it be Ed that people are just Stupid in general? Maybe we as humans are not happy unless we are finding fault with something else. Maybe our lives are so normally uneventful that we must cause drama where ever we can. And it is all more a human condition than what OS is better.

Sorry, Kind of a rant there, but I think it is always silly to argue about silly things. I think people should go with whatever makes them happy. I truly love my iPaq, (I would really like a new one, but alas). I can't say how many post its I used to have around. To me it is more than an organizer it has become my security blanket. I can just pick up my PPC and do whatever I feel like doing at that moment. That is why it works for me.

As far as Palm users being the main source of trouble in the two camps. I would tend to agree. Simple people like simple things. These are also the people that do not understand why a person would want a flatscreen tv and dvd. What can you do?

More often than not I have swayed a Palm user to PPC if they were interested in the Sony line.