Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-13-2002, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba Tech Support Part 2: Son of a...

A few weeks ago I posted a thought about Toshiba tech support. My e570 had a strange flickering at the bottom of the screen, and I wanted to send the unit in for repair/replacement. I called Toshiba USA, and they were ready to give me an RMA - until I told them I was from Canada and the whole process ground to a halt. They had no idea how to service my Pocket PC - the tech support person said he'd call me back soon with a solution.

Weeks go by, and nothing - no phone call. So today I called Toshiba looking for a solution - and was informed that in order for Toshiba USA to service the unit, I would need to ship it to someone in the USA, and Toshiba would send the warranty box to them. Since that's not a great solution, I was referred to Toshiba Canada tech support - and was told that because the unit was purchased in the US, they couldn't offer me warranty support. Back to square one! What a frustrating experience. Compaq didn't care where my device was purchased from - they just fixed it for me. Same with HP.

Note to OEMs: a customer is a customer, no matter where they are. Regional barriers only cause problems for your customers.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Well, Jason, you've got my mailing address.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

shoulda bought an ipaq :P

Old 08-13-2002, 09:12 PM
mvoosten
Pupil

Does the flickering look what I described you last week on my Ipaq?

Old 08-13-2002, 09:17 PM
MaximumPDA
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to MaximumPDA

You might try emailing their PR contact. You may be supprised at how fast it gets fixed.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:22 PM
igreen
Ponderer

Hmmmmmm I wonder if they support their laptops the same way. A sane indivdual would think that support for portable devices would itself be portable. Your e570 might as well be a desktop bolted to your desk.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera
Default Bad Customer Service Makes Customers Talk...

I'd also e-mail their PR Contact and let them know who you are. You've got too big a following and audience for them to be pulling this crap.

When they offer to fix it for free, or replace the unit entirely, you should ask them how they would handle this if you werent' a member of the Press. Consistent, well managed Customer Service Processes can make (bad ones can breake) an organization, don't you think..? :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Writer

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

Old 08-13-2002, 10:08 PM
GadgetDave
Intellectual

Ug. :evil: Stupid for any organization to act that way. I've always had good luck with support in the past, but one never knows, I guess.

I'll be interested to hear how this works out. And I'll be letting our corporate Toshiba rep know about it ... :twisted:

Old 08-13-2002, 10:24 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

That's pathetic. I can somewhat understand Toshiba USA's reluctance to service a Canadian customer (somewhat, not entirely though). But I can not excuse Toshiba Canada pulling an "it's not our machine so not our problem" attitude. That's deplorable. To the customer, it's a Toshiba device. Period. I'm amazed that large multinational companies haven't figured this out yet.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:31 PM
nox
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to nox Send a message via MSN to nox Send a message via Yahoo to nox
Default Thats lame

Sounds like the whole DVD Region thing are you in REGION 2 , well we can support you. Toshiba is a big company. They need to support their products if im somalia or new zealand