Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-09-2002, 07:34 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ 3900 series flaws

http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/nieuws.php?action=1&id=548

Roel Martens of the Dutch PocketPC-Club.nl found two customer advisories that concern iPAQ 3900. One deals with the recent programs in the start menu, that does not work too good when you have screen taps enabled. The solution: tap "confidently"...

The other explains that the 3900 series iPAQ (or 3800 series with ROM 1.20 or 2.20) may automatically power on after synchronization. The temporarily solution: disable the synchronized server sync. HP is looking into a permanent solution for this problem.

Old 08-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Leon
Ponderer

Huh? I always tap confidently so I must say I never experienced the problem. No, just kidding, it is probably because I have Screen Taps switched off.

It surprises me that the problem is only related to such a small part of the screen while the rest of the screen doesn't have this problem. I mean, for the hardware it doesn't matter where you tap. It looks like they specifically coded the software to require a stronger tap in the launch area 8O And this is what surprises me most - they even admit it:
Quote:
HP Engineering has tested the iPAQ H3900 Series Pocket PC and concluded that it is working as designed.
BTW, has anyone found out why some programs appear in the Recent Programs list while others do not?

Old 08-09-2002, 08:11 AM
szamot
Sage

Damn I thought I was seeing things, I don't know about tapping by my, let's count them 5th, Ipaq - you'd think I would learn by now, is powering on after synch, not always but is does and it does not turn off by itself. 2 days ago it drained my battery dead flat - I was really impressed.

Old 08-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Since my xda is also powering up after sync, it seems like an HTC issue rather than only iPAQ specific.

Old 08-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Mark (NL)
Pupil

What about powering on when I turn main computer off, when iPAQ is still in cradle? Is that suppossed to be normal?

Old 08-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: iPAQ 3900 and 3800 series flaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
Roel Martens of the Dutch PocketPC-Club.nl found two customer advisories that concern iPAQ 3900 and 3800 users with the latest ROM. One deals with the recent programs in the start menu, that does not work too good when you have screen taps enabled. The solution: tap "confidently"...
According to the link provided, this problem only applies to the 3900 series. I checked the page twice, and there was no mention of the 3800 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
The other explains that the iPAQ may automatically power on after synchronization. The temporarily solution: disable the synchronized server sync. HP is looking into a permanent solution for this problem.
I've had this problem, and that was before I upgraded my iPAQ 3870 to the 2.20 ROM, which Compaq/HP claims is required.

Specifically, I would remove my iPAQ from the sync cradle, turn it off, and, a few minutes later, it would turn itself on for no reason. I'll try their workaround to see if it stops my iPAQ from powering up.

Steve

Old 08-09-2002, 12:26 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: iPAQ 3900 and 3800 series flaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
According to the link provided, this problem only applies to the 3900 series. I checked the page twice, and there was no mention of the 3800 series.
Quite right! Post edited.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:14 PM
rodh
Neophyte

I have the power on after sync problem with my updated 3650. Can't recall seeing the problem before the update. It has only occurred after removal from the cradle. Strangely enough, it does not seem to do it if I make sure it plays the disconnect sound before I power off the iPaq.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Fattizzi
Pupil
Default re

Hey, two minor flaws is much better than the 20 or so by the 3600 series and the 10 by the 3700 series and the 5 in the 3800 series. They are getting there. I must say, my 3900 is the best of the ipaq line. I have had a 3650, 3670, 3750, and a 3870 and I can accept some minor issues.

Old 08-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

yes, but we're just getting started...