Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-07-2002, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP downplays iPAQ complaints

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1134150

The iPAQ Petition is barely a few weeks old, and HP has already responded to it publicly. That's a good thing! Now, what they said wasn't overly encouraging to the people who have had problems, but it's better to be turned down than ignored. What do you think of the HP response?

"But in a statement issued this week, HP said that many of the problems in the petition had already been addressed. "The majority of issues noted in the petition appear to have been taken from our Customer Advisories, for which solutions have already been developed and made available to the public," said the company. "Issues are not necessarily experienced by all users and do not affect all units."

HP said that it would continue to address specific problems with individual customers and any replacements or repairs that needed to be carried out would be done so under the terms of its warranty and service programmes." Source: James Bodiam

Old 08-07-2002, 09:05 PM
David McNamee
Philosopher
Default RE: HP downplays iPAQ complaints

I've already given HP my response by buying a Toshiba e740.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Hmm 1000+ Signatures? how many were sold? 1,000,000+ ?

Old 08-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Have any of these issues been carried over to the 39xx series :?:

Old 08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Kevin Daly
Theorist

While they have a point to some extent, this looks uncomfortably like HP's response "Dust? What Dust?" to the dust problems in the Jornada 56x range - insist on treating everything on a case by case basis, denying there is an overall problem.
I'm dismayed enough as it is by the decision to axe the Jornada, but I do hope the new HP iPAQ era isn't going to be marked by a combination of Compaq's shoddy quality control with the unhelpful high-handedness HP have shown with regard to Jornada problems.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:19 PM
paris
Intellectual

i am an ipaq oner since day one of the release of ipaq h3850. So i had one from the first batch that should have all the problems.

I never had a problem with my ipaq that will make it unusable.

They only small prblem i had was with the back light that some time wont come on but that is not quite an isue since you can toggle the backlight by pressing the power button for 2 sec.

My boss owns an H3650 and he never had a problem either. Ony something with the microphone that gets noise but compaq gave a solution to that.

I cant really get why all these people are complaining. Maybe they are axpecting their pocket pc to make coffe for them or something.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:39 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris
I cant really get why all these people are complaining. Maybe they are axpecting their pocket pc to make coffe for them or something.
My coworker's iPaq is suddenly starts flipping its screen. It's still under warranty (less than a year). He called compaq and they turned him down. So he went to another company to fix that problem.

So what are they expecting from their pocket pc? They expect it to run! PROPERLY! Do you like it when you bought a car and after 1 year your odometer suddenly starts from 140 and goes down as you accelerate? Do you want your windshield to get dust that can't be removed except by turning it over to the manufacturer? I guess it's a far out comparison but nevertheless... people spent $500+ on their pocket pc. It should at least work without those annoying problem for some period of time.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris
i am an ipaq oner since day one of the release of ipaq h3850. So i had one from the first batch that should have all the problems.

I never had a problem with my ipaq that will make it unusable.

They only small prblem i had was with the back light that some time wont come on but that is not quite an isue since you can toggle the backlight by pressing the power button for 2 sec.

My boss owns an H3650 and he never had a problem either. Ony something with the microphone that gets noise but compaq gave a solution to that.

It is GREAT that your iPAQ and your boss' iPAQ work perfectly. However, what many people such as you fail to realize is that just because YOUR iPAQ works correctly DOES NOT mean that EVERYONE else's iPAQs work correctly as well.

If you aren't having any problems, that is TERRIFIC Everyone is very happy that you are happy. However, there are many others (over 1800 and counting) who are unhappy because their iPAQs don't work properly.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master O'Mayhem
Hmm 1000+ Signatures? how many were sold? 1,000,000+ ?
Actually, we are up to 1800. Your point is still well-taken, however.

We believe that only a small percentage of the worldwide iPAQ community is even aware of the existence of the petition. If HP would kindly give us a master list we would be happy to contact everyone to see....

Just kidding.

Seriously, considering that only a small percentage of the total number of iPAQ users even know about the petition, 1800 (and counting) is a pretty good number.

Old 08-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sslixtis
Have any of these issues been carried over to the 39xx series :?:
An excellent question!

So far the initial reviews of the 39xx are very encouraging. However, remember that the initial reviews of the 38xx were encouraging as well! Many of the 38xx problems only appeared several months later.

My best advice would be to wait and see. Keep watching these boards, the "early adopters" will post their problems with these iPAQs as they arise.

I do have to say that the 39xxs seem to be better. It could be a good sign that quality control is improving at HP/Compaq/HTC!