Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Kre
Intellectual
Default Palm IIIc helps terrorist???

You know, this is either going to have some people rolling their eyes in disgust, disbelief, or hot under the collar. Or not. Im not sure what to expect here. I know this is a very touchy subject for some, so I may be taking a bit of a risk sticking my foot out here, but the reason for this post is that Im curious to see what others thought about the following...

Think what you want about this. But if this ever really got out into the open, it makes me think it could potentially do some further damage to Palms faltering image.

I just watched the movie Collateral Damage with Arnold Schwarzenegger last night. It involves terrorism, so for that reason I can understand why it didnt last too long in the theatres. But at one point in the film the terrorist in the movie uses a Palm IIIc to help guide him to escape after planting a very giant bomb. I couldnt help but shake my head when I saw that. Maybe its not such a big deal to some, but how pathetic is that??? Dont movie makers have to OK this sort of product placement, and if so, who at Palm decided this would be OK? Just when I think Palms image couldnt get any worse, then I see this. I couldnt hardly believe my eyes. :?

Perhaps this knowledge would do little or nothing, but I really wonder how this might affect Palms image if a public point was made about it. It really makes me wonder if it would truly bother some people to use a Palm after hearing or seeing this, because we all know how sensitive America is about 911, and after all, who wants to associate with any product used in this manner? "Oh, so-and-so, youre using what some terrorists use!" Who wants to carry around that image? Even if it is just the movies, having that rolling around in the back of peoples heads I would think could certainly be enough to get some to stop using it.

Did anyone else notice this? What are your thoughts on this?

Old 08-06-2002, 02:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I noticed it too, and to be honest, my only real thought was "BWAHAHAHAHA! As if the Palm is capable of those smooth-scrolling high-res graphics!" :lol:

Old 08-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Kre
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I noticed it too, and to be honest, my only real thought was "BWAHAHAHAHA! As if the Palm is capable of those smooth-scrolling high-res graphics!" :lol:
I noticed that too. Its so sad when movie makers feel they have to enhance Palm handhelds like that :roll: Ive seen two movies that I can think of that had either Windows CE or Pocket PC, and neither were enhanced. The film captured them just as they were.

Old 08-11-2002, 05:00 PM
ECOslin
Thinker

There is an old saw,

'There is no such thing as bad publicity'.

The product made screen time, and you remembered it for good or ill.

And, not only did you remember it, you discussed it with others.
(prime secondary advertising)

Edward

Old 08-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOslin
If Osama was wearing Nike shoes and endorsed the brand in one of his crazy videos, I don't think Nike would be pleased. ;-) There are some exceptions to that rule (although they are rare).

Old 08-13-2002, 02:07 AM
ECOslin
Thinker

Didn't Osama's 87th brother open a line of Bin Laden clothing stores?

Around any event, however ill, entrepreneurs(read: vultures) pop up.

Edward

Old 08-23-2002, 11:40 PM
Kre
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOslin
Yeah, maybe in Hollywood, but not in business.

Old 08-24-2002, 05:03 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kre
Yeah, maybe in Hollywood, but not in business.
So very true. It's not like Eron is a better company now that it was a year ago... ;-)