Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-02-2002, 11:22 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Should we sign a CDA with HP?

I received an email from HP late last week, with an interesting offer: they're willing to send me spec sheets on new iPAQs two weeks before they're released, arrange for review units to be sent out prior to release, and have increased communication with me as a leader in the Pocket PC community (and the rest of the Thoughts team by extension). Sounds great right? It sure is - but there's a high price to pay, and this is what I need your input on.

HP has asked me to sign a confidentiality agreement, which is fairly standard. But they've also stated that if I sign this CDA, I cannot post links to any sort of information that would violate my CDA. So let's say for example that I was in possession of an unreleased iPAQ, and someone sent me a link to another site that had photos. Legally, neither I nor my team would be able to post a link to that site with the leaked photos.

So the question is, which would you rather have as a reader of this site? Accurate information when we're allowed to talk about it, or links to rumours right when we hear about them? Please chime in and give me your input - I'm eager to hear what you think on the subject, and cast your vote!

Old 08-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I'm all for the rumours. That's what these sites are all about (for me, anyways).

My take on it: If you signed the Confidentiality Agreement, you'd never get a "scoop" (at least with HP products). Worse, if you did have one, you couldn't post it. That means you'd have to make news announcements when HP says it's OK in which case you'd be just one of many sites making that announcement.

Personally, I say let the developers and enterprise partners get the sneak peaks. Thoughts is a place for the community at large, and we like to hear the latest and greatest (confirmed or not).

My 'Thoughts', anyways.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Gaiwan
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to Gaiwan

Hmm, this is definitely a very tough call. There's just something about legal agreements that irks me, anytime you have to sign something like that theres always that fine print that can end up causing alot of problems in the future when you least expect it.

I just recently joined this wonderful pocketpc community and I have very much been enjoying it. The community and true enthusiast feel is what really attracted me to it. The freedom to express your Pocket PC Thoughts in an uncensored manner is what makes this the community it is. As soon as you bring restrictions upon that is when it starts feeling less like a community and more like just every other pocket pc site out there.

It's not a matter of getting accurate information, its just a matter of being able to freely post about whatever you want to whenever you feel like it.[/i]

Old 08-02-2002, 11:40 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P
Default Re: Should we sign a CDA with HP?

I think there will be leaks from HP one way or another (probably from the same sources who will sign the agreement with HP). So as a reader, I would prefer to have you guys continue supplying the links. However, from your vantage point, establishing this kind of relationship with HP is definitely a good thing, and may be more beneficial in the long-run to the people reading PPCT.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Wes Salmon
Intellectual

I've had my fair share of dealings with NDA's and rumors/leaked info and my take is this:

Once something is published somewhere else (newsgroups, website, whatever), it's "in the wild", making it fair game to reference even if you're under NDA. This happened a number of times to me and when I explained to the PR/Legal teams that if I was forced to ignore everything else going on in the market/industry/community, even things where someone other than me broke an NDA or an agreement, it put me at a disadvantage, one that I was not willing to be at. If they wanted detailed, *accurate* coverage at launch, this was a concession they needed to make.

Every time, the companies agreed that if something became public by no fault of my own, I could acknowledge it, but I could not confirm, deny, or elaborate on it. Seemed fair to me and kept a nice balance between posting rumors and leaked information, and getting detailed info and products before release so once they became public, we had the full story to offer our users.

Remember, ultimately it is YOU that is providing a service to THEM by covering their product releases, not the other way around. Use this to your advantage when negotiating an NDA.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:44 PM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

Agreed. Furthermore. the leaker, if you will, could just post the information himself or herself in the forum, no?

Duncan
Pontificator

Don't do it! The leaks and info will come anyway and you will have the luxury of being first. OK some of them will be wrong, but being wrong on some info is as much part of the fun as getting big scoops...!

It sounds like HP would like a controlling interest in one of the biggest Pocket PC News sources on the 'net. Probably a sign that you've been hitting closer to home than they are comfortable with!

Julio
Pupil
Default accurate information best

Personally, accurate information would be better.

The main reason I keep coming back to read Pocket PC Thoughts is for the amazing amount of accurate information that I find here. I find out about new technologies, good deals, and future pocket pc trends.

Rumors can be titilating sometimes :P - but usually I ignore them anyway because there is enough contradiction that it becomes too confusing.

-Julio

Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 PM
mookie123
Thinker

Gimme a break, 2 weeks? They call that a deal?

The internet will know what screw size the next ipaq will use within two weeks before it launches, let alone "general review"

Don't we already know the rough spec what the next iPAQ will be? All we are waiting now is some leak picture, and I got the feeling it will emerge soon. Since when do 'news embargo' ever stop the internet from knowing any juicy gadget leak? I think the HP offers is just to stop PPCthoughts from linking any rumor/leak pictures. Two weeks advance peek for news editor doens't mean jack for net publication. For news print magazine maybe, but not internet blogger site.

Also, the new HP seems to pick up new lawyering habit (suing tru64 security hole anybody?)

I'll say give them the finger and teach them about the importance of fan site getting an early review as marketing tool. They SHOULD smooch PPCthoughts, not forcing a leash with lame 2 weeks dingle peek worth a penny.

PS. accurate information that cannot be told to the public is same as "no information" to the public.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:47 PM
24va
Intellectual

Do you get to keep the hardware?
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com