Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Gasp! Is the music industry starting to listen?

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3777666.htm

"Pressplay has removed the limitations that stifled growth of the paid service, introducing a new version that allows subscribers to stream or download music to their heart's content and buy tracks they can burn on CDs or transfer to portable players." Hallelujah! It seems they are figuring out that we will not rent music nor will we pay a dime for content we can only listen to on the PC it was downloaded to.

"Pressplay subscribers, who until now have had to wade through a confusing array of offers, will pay a flat monthly fee of $9.95 to download or stream as much music as they like. Songs are protected from being burned to CD or transferred. For slightly more -- $17.95 a month -- subscribers get 10 songs, which they permanently own and can burn to CD or transfer to portable devices, such as the popular Rio player, CreativeLabs' Nomad line and Compaq's iPAQ, that support the Windows Media Player format."

$17.95 per month. That is $1.80 per song, or $21.60 for a CD's worth of 12 songs. Well, their pricing isn't there yet but at least they get the model. I don't know about you but I am not willing to pay $215 a year for this regardless of how many songs you get. There are just not 120 good songs that come out every year in my opinion, and I'd still buy the CD of artists I like. The other pitfall is the library. "Its collection of 100,000 downloadable tracks is still limited to Universal and Sony artists, and music licensed by a third major label, EMI Recorded Music, and various independents." Still, this is clearly a move in the right direction.

Hmmm.... they have Mazzy Star. Can't be all bad.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:06 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Get to $.50 a song and we can talk.... until then I will be hanging out on Morpheus or Kazaa. :?

Old 08-01-2002, 08:08 PM
unxmully
Intellectual

It might be a bit more attractive if they offered a variety of formats instead of just 128k WMA.

I suppose that's needed for the rights management :?

Old 08-01-2002, 08:15 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default Not to bad

Now this is definately a step in the right direction. But i would really only pay 10 a month fo my music. $10 bucks a month with 10 songs for burning and portable devices. Then I could also download and stream anything i wanted on my own system. That wouldn't be to bad. I mean i am sure i spend $120 a year on music anyways. So Who thinks there will be a deal like this in the next2 years? Also it has to have ALL music like napster did. I might actually be willing to support the service before they had all music if i really liked the most of what they had. But until something can offer having every peice of music people could think of like napster did.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxmully
It might be a bit more attractive if they offered a variety of formats instead of just 128k WMA.
But put it on a CD and then re-rip it on your desired format, right? You may lose some quality vs a 500k MP3, but I wouldn't know the diff.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:20 PM
heyday
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to heyday Send a message via MSN to heyday Send a message via Yahoo to heyday

I also imagine you could use TotalRecorder to make copies of your songs if you really wanted to get them off your computer.

heyday

Old 08-01-2002, 08:55 PM
mookie123
Thinker

1 good song with 20,987 filler.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:50 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker

I really enjoyed it when I was using Emusic's (www.emusic.com) service. $15/ month with a 3 month contract, and unlimited access to their entire library of mp3s. True downloading always took a bit of time, but I managed to find things that were very close to my tastes and also introduced me to new artists. Plus the artist gets a cut of every track you download. You have full liscence to do whatever you wish with the mp3s, save for giving them away. Also for $15 that's as much as a single new CD, and I regularly download 2-4 CDs worth of music per month. You might not always find exactly what you're looking for, but if you're adventurous it's worth looking into.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:58 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann
Default Echo - a step in the right direction

Yup - if they get the price down to that of about a buck a song... well then they could be making money hand over fist. Considering the markup on a taditional CD in the music industry is close to 900%... this out to fly nicely for all parties concerned.

emusic - does that allow you to "own" the song after you download it - or are you screwed to the PC you downloaded it to?

Old 08-01-2002, 10:03 PM
brntcrsp
Thinker
Default Re: Echo - a step in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by possmann
emusic - does that allow you to "own" the song after you download it - or are you screwed to the PC you downloaded it to?
you own the song. You can burn it to CD and transfer it between devices, anything you wish.

For further information about their service check out their help files: http://help.emusic.com/general/

also check out their rights documentation.