Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-01-2002, 03:10 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ ROM 1.20 for non-bluetooth models on the web site

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handhelds/us/locate/71_2594.html

A few days ago we told you the ROM was available via the FTP site. It is now on the web site. The file is binarily (if that isn't a word, it should be) identical to the one we mentioned a few days ago, right down to the README.DOC that still has ROM 2.14 listed, so if you have already done the upgrade, your done.

There are a few more goodies on that page you should download. After installing the ROM, you may want to install EUU2. The ROM has EUU1 included. Regardless of whether you install EUU2 or not, get the updated WAV files in the "Software Solutions" section of the page. It will fix those entertaining scratching noises at the end of your alarms.

Finally, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! It is a pretty convoluted process and may involve sprained fingers about midway through the process as you try to push three buttons simultaneously while performing a soft reset, but it is a process designed to cut down on paperweights. Thanks to Robert Rosen for letting us know the web site had the ROM listed.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:27 AM
Sanjay Srikonda
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to Sanjay Srikonda Send a message via MSN to Sanjay Srikonda Send a message via Yahoo to Sanjay Srikonda
Default Installed it the first time you posted it, works fine

I downloaded it and installed it from the first post you guys had put out. I've since downloaded and compared this "official" release. They're the same release.

My Ipaq 3850 is faster. However, the backlight issue still remains. I have to oftentimes do a soft restart before the backlight comes to full power and stays at full power.

As for the other enhancements. Who did they use to verify that cleartype is "fixed"? Did they use a roomful of blind monkeys? What is "fixed" about it? It's still fuzzy. *shrug* Can't verify the SD card issue, I don't use them.

The unit is noticeably faster. Unfortunately, the one BIG issue I was hoping would be fixed is still broken. Backlight comes on dimmed and stays dimmed until I do a soft reset.

Next unit is definitely NOT going to be an Compaq.

Waiting for tablet PCs, maybe a LOOX.

Old 08-01-2002, 03:37 AM
rkrosen
Neophyte

I installed yesterday (before the official release) with no problems, although I agree about the sprained fingers (who came up with that button pushing scheme, anyway?). So far, my 3835 seems faster and no backlight problems, but it's too early to tell really -- my backlight problems always seemed to be most severe when I turned the unit on in a very dark room.

On the updated WAV files... do we really have to use RAM for all those?? They left them out of the ROM update? Seems an odd oversight...

Old 08-01-2002, 03:49 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrosen
On the updated WAV files... do we really have to use RAM for all those?? They left them out of the ROM update? Seems an odd oversight...
They are in EUU2, but for some reason, they fail to install properly in 3800s. 8O

I just used the 4-5 I normally use, not the whole 300Ks worth.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:13 AM
Trevor_NYC
Neophyte

sanjsrik said:
Quote:
My Ipaq 3850 is faster. However, the backlight issue still remains. I have to oftentimes do a soft restart before the backlight comes to full power and stays at full power.
I think the backlight thing is still strictly a hardware fix. I had mine repaired last month and they replaced the 'inverter' (I think). The backlight has worked perfectly since then. And now since I've done the ROM update I'm finally satisfied with my purchase of the 3835. I haven't had to do a soft reboot and I can finally play mp3's from my SD card.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:15 AM
stevew
Theorist

This ROM update is going to wipe everything out of system RAM?

IMPORTANT: This update utility is designed to replace the current ROM image and erase the partnership and all user data and programs on your iPAQ Pocket PC.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Ed Hansberry

It redoes the iPAQ File Store too, so don't have anything in there you want to keep during this update.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:24 AM
stevew
Theorist

So if my backup restore doesnt work after I update the ROM I'm screwed right? I think I'll leave well enough alone. I have to much important business info on this PPC.

Old 08-01-2002, 04:30 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW
So if my backup restore doesnt work after I update the ROM I'm screwed right? I think I'll leave well enough alone. I have to much important business info on this PPC.
Not if. It won't. You cannot restore a ROM 1.15 image on a 1.20 device. You sync your device, remove your storage card, do the deed, create a new parnership and resync. Nothing lost. Now reinstall your apps. This can be very time consuming if you tweak them all like I do. Min 4 hrs for me on a hard reset.

Old 08-01-2002, 07:30 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_NYC
I think the backlight thing is still strictly a hardware fix.
Apparently not completely. My H3875's serial number is "not affected" when I do the serial number check at Compaq's site. Backlight was working perfectly from day one. However, when I installed ROM 2.20, it started to fail about 50% of times. I've reinstalled ROM 2.15 after a week and backlight is reliable again. There must be some software factor in this.