Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-30-2002, 03:22 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ 1.20 ROM for non-bluetooth 3800s available, I think

This is the link for the ROM 1.20 readme file, and this is the ROM upgrade program. Appears to be US English only for now. The iPAQ regular download page hasn't been updated yet, but if this is the finished ROM, the page should be fixed soon. Follow the directions and copy your important files over. It involves a hard reset and you cannot restore a ROM 1.15 backup to a 1.20 machine.

Side note: If you have installed EUU2, you will need to do so again. ROM 1.20 comes with EUU1 and completely wipes out your iPAQ's ROM, including EUU2 and the contents of the iPAQ File Store.

Old 07-30-2002, 04:51 AM
RickP in AZ
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to RickP in AZ

I guess I am lucky that I'm soon to be in the market for a new PPC as it appears that I will never see a ClearType fix for my aging, PPC2k2 upgraded 3630... :-( A dear friend who will now go to serve my wife. (Hmm, bearing in mind my stories of "the seperation" it may be considered that I am going to be handing my Mistress off to my wife...)

RickP in AZ

Old 07-30-2002, 05:04 AM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default iPaq Fixes

I called HP/Compaq tech support today to address some of the issues with my iPaq 3765, IE. Dust in screen, very, very poor battery life, and device lock up. They are issuing a return package and are going to repair my beloved iPaq. Keep in mind my device is about 8 months old. (I got it as soon as the 3700 was released.) I have no carepaq service, I know nothing about the waranty expiration or specifics, and they are going to fix everything. I may even call tomorrow and see if they will replace three of the buttons that are completely missing their icons.

ANyway they gave me no trouble whatsoever. Now there is a 3800 ROM update. Seems to mw like Compaq had a change of heart resently. :twisted:

Old 07-30-2002, 07:09 AM
bblock
Ponderer

Ed, this is great - thanks. Perfect timing, as I'm contemplating rebuilding my 3850.

However, you say "I think". Where did this update come from, if not the Compaq page? Is it safe to install?

Old 07-30-2002, 08:06 AM
renz
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to renz

Any speculations when a German version will be available :?: (Or can I just use the English version with my German iPAQ?)

Old 07-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by renz
Any speculations when a German version will be available :?: (Or can I just use the English version with my German iPAQ?)
Localized versions usually lag a few days behind the English one.

Generally you can't install different language ROMs. However, it was possible to manipulate the installer to get around the language check with the older H3600 series flasher.

Old 07-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Fails in my 3835, miserably. Can anyone explain this error?

I really need this to go in, as the spontaneous hard resets are getting ridiculous.

Old 07-30-2002, 10:15 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblock
Is it safe
Toothache!

Old 07-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Oh, Marlof, thanks for reminding me. ouch, indeed! But really, I don't know!

Old 07-30-2002, 10:39 AM
paris
Intellectual

well i will do the update at home in half an hour and contribute my impressions.

Well i could do the update here at work but its not a wise thing doing the update on an old pentium 200 pc that has already connectivity problems with activesync.

I will perform the update back home which i never had connectivity problems with activesync.

Hmmm why is my Rom 1.14 and not 1.15 anyway???
I guess its coz i bought it from the first batch that was released and the 1.15 is a later a bit updated version. correct??