Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-23-2002, 10:21 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default HTC SmartPhone 2002

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/26308.html

The Register reports that Orange UK is currently testing a SmartPhone 2002 design created by HTC.

You can also look at a bigger picture (pict: The Register). The product is apparantly called the "Canary reference design". It is based on the Texas Instruments OMAP 720 processor, weighs 95g and is a triband GSM/GPRS device. It will have a USB connection, and a MMC expansion slot. On the downside: there will be no Bluetooth and no MMS.

Although many carriers would like to see MMS as a source of even more revenue, I couldn't care less if this device has MMS functionality or not. I would prefer a HTML e-mail client over MMS any day! But I would love to see Bluetooth in this phone, as I could use it as a GPRS modem with my Bluetooth enabled notebook. Now I'd have to fuzz with cables or IrDA, and who wants that in this wireless day and age?

Old 07-23-2002, 10:39 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual
Default Re: HTC SmartPhone 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
On the downside: there will be no Bluetooth and no MMS.
Oh, I love it. I don't care about either...

Old 07-23-2002, 10:43 AM
marlof

Marc, read my edit (I was working on it before you post) and then please tell me if you still feel the same.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
Marc, read my edit (I was working on it before you post) and then please tell me if you still feel the same.
I agree with your opinion on MMS wholeheartedly. As I am not a notebook user and I'm only looking to carry only one integrated device, I just happen to love Smartphone 2002 and Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition. I don't need other devices to connect to these.

I understand that for some scenarios it might make sense. But I anticipate that the majority of users of the targeted market is also looking only for a single device that allows them to connect to email, view files and make calls. Using those phones as a gateway for notebooks might be a power user feature and not worth the additional cost driving up device prices for all users.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:07 AM
Arne Hess
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zimmermann
I understand that for some scenarios it might make sense. But I anticipate that the majority of users of the targeted market is also looking only for a single device that allows them
But the target market is defined by the operators, not by Microsoft or any OEMs.
So it have to be included - it's state of the art! The competitors are Nokia's 7650 and Sony Ericsson's P800, both came with Bluetooth and MMS plus a camera and will be sold at least for the same price! So why the user should take a Stinger phone!? Because "Powered by Windows CE"? The user doesn't care, it's about the features!!!

Old 07-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Hess
So why the user should take a Stinger phone!? Because "Powered by Windows CE"? The user doesn't care, it's about the features!!!
Well, yes, because it is Windows Powered. Because it allows scaling corporate applications from Stinger via Pocket PC via Notebook to a workstation. The point of Stinger is not to compete head to head with other smartphones. It's about making Windows based solutions portable.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:24 PM
xdev
Ponderer

Quote:
Orange UK is evaluating a reference design for a Stinker smartphone
Now, i wonder if they said "stinker" on purpose.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:28 PM
marlof

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdev
Quote:
Orange UK is evaluating a reference design for a Stinker smartphone
Now, i wonder if they said "stinker" on purpose.
Think so. In the end of the article you can see that they know it's Stinger. Wordgames like this when it comes to Microsoft are not unknown to The Register. Somehow their spelling control seems to be broken when it comes to things that concern Microsoft. It always remembers me of my niece. She can't get enough of the same jokes over and over again. She's two years of age...

Old 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

No Bluetooth? AUGH! :evil:

Old 07-23-2002, 03:09 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford
Default New Smartphone

OK I will not even get into my Standard "Where are teh CDMA handsets" rant. I do want to say that so far the MS Smartphone 2002 platform seems to suck as it is very problematic. The hardware designs seem to be feature lacking. The adopters of Smartphone 2002 seem to be very few and far between. I seriously doubt I will ever buy a MS Smartphone Device. Heck at this rate they are just vaporware anyway.

That said. This new "Canary" design does look nice. To me it looks like a cellular phone. It reminds me a bit of the Sanyo 4000 series or the old Nokia 6100 series. And hey about the Bluetooth guys... it does have some sort of SD or MMC slot. Mayne it is like SD I/O and the Socket SD Bluetooth card will work?