Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 07-19-2002, 04:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default The Sum of Its Parts

http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/features/stateofindustry_tuesday.html

Brighthand had a series of articles that didn't quite get finished, but this second installment is a good read. It covers the guts of the PDA, and Steve's thoughts on those various elements. There's a certain sweet spot for CPU power that I think we're close to reaching, but only if the software and hardware are both optimized to work together. For me at least, I'd love to fill my Pocket PC screen with video at 320 x 240, 30 frames per second, and high-quality audio. Anything more than that exceeds the physical limitations of the device. I'd also like to see better graphics processors on the devices - it undermines my confidence in the device when I see the screen redrawing itself very slowly, sluggish multi-tasking, etc.

I don't think the answer is more Mhz - I'm waiting for an OEM to get under the hood and say "Ok, forget what we've been doing so far - what components do we need to change in order to make this thing snappy as hell?" What do you think are the most-needed improvements to the Pocket PC hardware within the realm of current technology? (ie: no fuel cells yet guys!)

Old 07-19-2002, 04:29 PM
dwprice
Pupil

Big wide data buses.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:42 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Implement that waaay cool algorithm that alows full-blown movies compressed down to 10MB.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Falinn
Neophyte

Jason you're absolutly right, what we as comsumers need is a little 'thinking outside the box' form the manufacturers for a change. So many PPC's are coming out at the moment, and I really cant say any of them look that interesting.
I was really excited about the e740 when i heard about it's mpeg decoder chip, who knows-maybe it'll work some day! Thats the sort of thing we need, offload the tasks to dedicated subsystems- hardware mpeg4 decoding would be near the top of my list, that way you could have high quality, full screen movie playback.
Another thing i'd like to see would be higher resolution screens, about the biggest useable is 4" diagonal I think, and I really want a screen that has at least 480x320, the clie's proved it's possible and it's so much more useable that 320x240, and great for movies!

Matt

Old 07-19-2002, 04:46 PM
heov
Thinker

I think the RAM on our pocket pc's should be used only as program memory; and then have options for our storage memory. If we have dedicated RAM, I think it will run smoother.

Personally, I'm waiting for Pocket PC's with built in Hard Drives. It seems battery life is growing strong, and if we have 64 megs of RAM, with a built in, user upgradable, 5GB mini hard drive, we're set.

I'm not worried about the processor because I think within a couple of years; speed will not be a concern for pocket PC's; unless Microsoft turn's pocket pc OS into bloat ware...

I'm waiting for internal hard drives, and still have the option for CF/SD too, plus dedicated RAM.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falinn
Thats the sort of thing we need, offload the tasks to dedicated subsystems- hardware mpeg4 decoding would be near the top of my list, that way you could have high quality, full screen movie playback.
Another thing i'd like to see would be higher resolution screens, about the biggest useable is 4" diagonal I think, and I really want a screen that has at least 480x320, the clie's proved it's possible and it's so much more useable that 320x240, and great for movies!Matt
I second this, although movies would not be the top priority for this for me (but it would be for my kids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
Personally, I'm waiting for Pocket PC's with built in Hard Drives. It seems battery life is growing strong, and if we have 64 megs of RAM, with a built in, user upgradable, 5GB mini hard drive, we're set.
The way I use my Pocket PC, I would be woried about a conventional dedicated hard drive for all of my data/programs. I would like to see how much flash type memory they could jam into the PCMCIA form factor though. I wouldn't have a problem with using a built in PC Card type slot for memory upgrades.

Steve

Old 07-19-2002, 05:22 PM
mookie123
Thinker

My idea of perfect PDA is still a modified Libretto. (shrink it down, longer battery, but keep all the functionalities. It's some where between a tablet PC and a PPC)

1. VGA screen. (Sharp has it, 3.7inch I think)
2. bigger internal memory at least 128, .5-1gig is ideal. (libretto only have 32mb/800mbHD)
3. buit in Wi-Fi,
4. dual CF/SD at least.
5. some sort of universal plug, maybe mini USB 2.0? I can even live with CF USB2.0 adapter.
6. full windows compatibility. (A lot of desktop software are ideal ofr PDA but I doubt that they will be ported to CE soon. mathematica for eg.)
7. 10 hrs battery continuous.

Old 07-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Kre
Intellectual

How about the Xbox nVidia processor?

...And multiple .0001 micron or DNA based CPUs?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Old 07-19-2002, 05:57 PM
kurzon
Pupil

Quote:
It seems battery life is growing strong,
I don't think that current battery life is very useful for that kind of usage (hard drives). I would like to see a device that runs for 24 hours while keeping the slender size, especially when we're talking about adding more hardware to our PDAs. From what I hear, battery technology has been crawling like a snail in the hightech industry.[/quote]

Old 07-19-2002, 06:01 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default Shutdown to flash...

I'd like the option that when I switched off my PocketPC it would transfer the current state of the device into a Flash chip and then remove power to everything other than the clock (with wake up capability!) etc...

The use of SDRAM to store applications is stupid... I'd much prefer a large (128MB) Flash store for applications - with XIP - and a smaller (32MB) amount of SDRAM.

It should be possible to write a small CE program to do the backup... but hardware/OS mods would be needed to remove power and to recover from the resulting power down.

This would also remove the backup battery issue once and for all!

My 2c,

PJE

PS. I'd also like a VGA resolution screen... :wink: