Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-12-2002, 03:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default GeForce 4 video cards with dual analog outputs?

Any suggestions? My little GeForce4 440 MX is gagging when trying to run games at 1280 x 1024, which is the native resolution of my LCD monitors, so I don't have much choice. Yeah, yeah, I know, someone warned me about the GeForce4 MX not being powerful enough, didn't truly realize this until I was playing WarCraft III at 1280 x 1024 - max resolution for the game. Problem is, I can't seem to find a card on the 'net that has dual analog outputs. Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Wingnut
Pupil
Default Some Insight

I know this is a bit late in coming, but if you want Dual Monitors, you could try stepping up to the GeForce 4 Ti 4200, that would solve your dilema, as well as make a boost in those oh-so-precious frames per second. That's the best "budget-sensed" decission you could make right now.

Wingnut

Old 08-25-2002, 06:09 AM
Viper118
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to Viper118

Jason,

Most cards that have a single DVI and a single analog connection come with a DVI to analog converter. I've got the Gainward Ti4600. It has two DVI ports and two convertors. Maximum flexibility. 8)

Old 08-25-2002, 05:27 PM
smashcasi
Ponderer

Jason:

Perhaps I misunderstood, but if you have two LCD monitors, wouldn't you want dual DVI outputs? If that's the case, then the Gainward card is the only one I know of with such a feature (also use it myself, works great!). If analog is what you're really after then you can probably go with anything with dual outputs, though I'm going to disagree with Viper118 on the DVI to VGA converter, as I've found that many cards do not ship with one (though they can be purchased separately).

In any case, newegg.com has some good prices on the Ti 4200, 4400, and 4600 cards. AnandTech also did a couple of 4200 and 4400/4600 roundup articles a while back that may help you make your decision.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Yeah, I have twin 17" LCDs that run analogue - and a DVI converter to analogue is my solution. Strangely enough, I can't seem to buy them around here - have to order one on-line.