Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Panasonic SD to CF adaptor

http://www.mbi.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/news/020711.html

Unless you can read Japanese, don't bother clicking on the link. A picture is worth a thousand words though, so look at the image and you'll know exactly how this will work. Panasonic must be the company that controls SD - they're gunning after growth in that market in a big way.

Source: InJapan

Old 07-12-2002, 03:39 PM
michael
Ponderer

Babelfish translation - http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltr...p=ja_en&tt=url

It's a type I card, it will work in digital cameras as it is no bigger than a regular type I card

I've been waiting for one of these, now I can go 100% SD without buying a new camera. Hopefully it won't be long before I can buy one here and then I have no excuse not to go and buy a new PPC

Old 07-12-2002, 03:48 PM
dcharles18
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to dcharles18 Send a message via MSN to dcharles18 Send a message via Yahoo to dcharles18

I guess this makes sense for cameras and such, but as for a PPC I can't see it being a real advantage, most new devices have dual slots, and the ones that do not are SD only. The only CF only device (Jordnada) is being dropped.

Old 07-12-2002, 03:53 PM
bchristian
Pupil
Default Also nice for laptops, desktops, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharles18
I guess this makes sense for cameras and such, but as for a PPC I can't see it being a real advantage, most new devices have dual slots, and the ones that do not are SD only. The only CF only device (Jordnada) is being dropped.
This will also help people who have laptops that have PCMCIA slots with CF adapters or CF slots so that they will not have to buy another device like a USB SD reader. It will also help others who already have CF USB readers on their desktop PCs and don't want to have to buy more USB adapters.
My Toshiba laptop already has an SD slot, but my desktop does not. This saves me money.
I already have an adapter for SD to CF but unlike this one, it will not fit all the way into a CF slot, but sticks out enough to make it not work with my camera. This one looks nice.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:06 PM
mar2k
Intellectual

There are several of these out, but this is the first one I've seen where the SD can be inserted all the way into the CF adapter, on the others I've seen the SD card sticks out, making it unusable in digital cameras. This one is very appealing, given that my camera uses CF and I'd like a very thin PDA (which may have SD slot only)

Old 07-12-2002, 04:28 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K
Default Price?

I wonder how much this will cost?
SD Adapters out there are really expensive.
The last time I saw the Pretec SD to CF Adapter, ti was about $50.
The last time I saw an SD to PC Card Adapter, it was more than $30.

Old 07-12-2002, 04:53 PM
nobody
Ponderer

where can I get it?

Old 07-12-2002, 05:08 PM
disconnected
Sage

Is there anything that goes the other way?

I've seen pictures of a CF/PC card adapter, where it plugs into the CF slot and then folds over so the PC card lies flat against the PocketPC. I'd love to have a similar thing so that I could use my Linksys 802.11b card without a sleeve on my iPAQ.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:28 PM
CharlesWilcox
Ponderer

Does the picture look to anyone else like the adapter will take two SD cards? It looks like there's already a card in slot (you can see the bottom of the "512MB") and the shadow behind the other SD card suggests that it is being inserted on top of the first. That's not even possible is it? If you stack two SD cards it would be thicker than a CF, right?

Old 07-12-2002, 06:41 PM
DavidHorn
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to DavidHorn

To solve the problem with my Jornada I just bought the extended battery which includes an SD slot. Problem solved.