Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 07-08-2002, 12:18 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Playing Audio on Your PPC From Your Desktop

http://www.davespda.com/features/encoder.htm

Dave from DavesPDA.com has whipped up a very innovative way of streaming audio to a Pocket PC. I have to admit that despite my love for all things digital media, the concept that Dave outlined completely eluded me. Very "out of the box" thinking, and this article is a great read. Check it out!

"Pocket PC�s, wireless, and Windows Media Technology are a killer combination. Together, the three give you the ability to stream your music from your desktop computer to anywhere else where you might need audio. Imagine the possibilities. You can stream music to your home stereo and quit fussing with burning your digital music collection to custom CD�s. You can create a virtual Walkman, only with an almost unlimited music supply. Or you could even stream your music outside your house for a street party and not have to worry about moving your computer or burning custom CD�s. The best part about this combination, there is no software to buy. Microsoft generously provides you with all the tools for free, though, some assembly required."

Old 07-08-2002, 03:09 AM
TBone
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to TBone Send a message via AIM to TBone Send a message via Yahoo to TBone

I guess you could do it this way, but it would probably be easier the way I do it: use the XAPlayer software and a Microsoft Networking share. That way I don't have to mess around with the encoding hassle, and I can use all the .mp3 files I own, instead of converting them to .wma. Works great, and it's fantastic being able to listen to my music on the front porch, or wherever.

Old 07-08-2002, 03:37 AM
mookie123
Thinker

Wait until RIAA get a hold of this scheme and charging user for unlicensed use of Radio music transmission.

..... so anybody wanna bet how long till RIAA start suing?

I'll give it about 6 months, when PDA and wireless equiped desktop will be prevalent.

Old 07-08-2002, 05:13 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone
XAPlayer software...
Hadn't heard of that, who makes it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone
instead of converting them to .wma
You don't have to convert anything with the solution I outlined. You can use any audio files including (but not limited to) MP3's, WMA's, WAV's, or regular audio CD's. Encoder just encodes what is playing, not each file.

Old 07-08-2002, 05:29 AM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

What about video? Could you stream it the same way? Because if so that would just rock

Old 07-08-2002, 01:18 PM
TBone
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to TBone Send a message via AIM to TBone Send a message via Yahoo to TBone

XAPlayer hasn't been updated for a long, long time, but it'll load .mp3 files from a network share and play them pretty well. It's also sometimes titled just Network MP3 Player, depending on where you get it. I think I have to search on google every time to find it--not a very formalized project, but it works.

Sorry about the .wma slip. I read the part about loading Encoder and my eyes glazed over--my monPaq doesn't come with Media Player loaded, so I skip anything like that. Plus I'm lazy. (grin)

Ah, here we go: http://www.geocities.com/scansolutions/. Just in case you wanna try it out. There was an improved version posted at one point, but it actually worked less effectively.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:32 PM
pdatoon
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to pdatoon

Hi guys,

I have tried the streaming MP3, but with a software called PocketLAN.
http://www.pdafrance.com/articles/ar...ocketpc&id=162 (sorry in french)

It works pretty good. I can actually play mp3 shared on my network.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:29 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Another solution

I use a solution similar to IRemote called WebAmp... a web server based plug-in for WinAmp. WebAmp allows you to change the html layout that is served and I 'Pocket-ized' it for correct display on my PocketPC. Looks and works great! My computer is tied into my stero which is set up for multiple room/zone audio output. Basically, I use my PocketPC as a wireless (WiFi) remote :-) around the house, garage, yard, etc

Old 07-08-2002, 04:41 PM
pdatoon
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to pdatoon

sounds cool
Any URL?

Old 07-08-2002, 05:21 PM
gwinter
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierran
What about video? Could you stream it the same way? Because if so that would just rock
I did this before and it works as expected. With a TV tuner card in the PC, the Windows Media Encoder encodes the video and I was able watch TV on my PPC.

I'm sure there are others who have tried this before.