Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft gets into PC hardware business

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4248

Wow - I didn't see this one coming! The PC hardware business is a brutal one, and I'm shocked Microsoft would wade into it. Still, there's a great deal of power attached to the Windows brand, and if Microsoft tightly controls the hardware platform, they can likely achieve impressive stability. If this is true, it will alter the PC landscape in a big way over the next year.

"A report in the Economic News claims that Microsoft and FIC will jointly launch a so�called "Dream PC" which doesn't even use an Intel chip, but instead makes use of a Via C3. The report claims that the first jointly developed "Dream PC" will be introduced towards the end of this month and that Microsoft will also show quite a few so called "baseline" or cheap machines which run with Via C3 600MHz chips and Windows XP...the report adds that each complete machine will cost between $300 to $400 and are aimed at the low end of the market which doesn't necessarily need processors running at 2GHz and above." Source: Lockergnome.

Old 07-04-2002, 09:43 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default XBOX with Winxp

So it looks like they are releasing a Xbox with windows XP... hehe not quite but still entering the low end computer market, isn't something i would have expected from microsoft. Perhaps this is so they can get more PC's in schools with a computer that cheap it seems like that might give windows a good chance at forcing itself into schools around the US. I don't think microsoft should be expanding into the hardwear business when others are leaving and until they have all there anti-trust suits finished. This is something everyone would love to use for monopoly charges. But with a $40 billion in loose cash microsoft really should expand into new markets. It is just so risky for them to make any more money than they already do right now.

Old 07-04-2002, 11:34 PM
CESkins
Theorist

Hmmm...looks like MS is forging ahead with their goal to "get a PC in every home" and the low end market is wide open. Of course MS wants to make sure that they indoctrinate everyone into the Windows world...given their flattening growth, it's one way to continue expanded. Should be interesting to see how the Justice Dept views MS now when they make the hardware, software, and OS.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

I wonder how Intel views this. They actually might not care at all, though I don't see why Microsoft couldn't use the HUGE stockpile of old P3 chips that Intel gives away for a tax write off all the time. I guess computers are kind of like the tobacco of the 21st century huh. Manufactures try and get you hooked with a cheap low-end model so you will get addicted and want to upgrade.

Old 07-05-2002, 03:15 AM
T-Will
Sage

I wonder if this will be one of the ways for MS to get the Palladium insfrastructure into more PC's...

Old 07-05-2002, 04:00 AM
Xenosaiyan
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to Xenosaiyan Send a message via Yahoo to Xenosaiyan

Just a continuation of Microsoft's plan to take over the world! :twisted:

Wouldn't it be interesting if they took over Dell's place as the top PC manufacturer. Or ugly, however much you like them.

Old 07-05-2002, 05:05 AM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

Very interesting. Never saw this coming from MS, but kinda cool. After I got crammed a Dell down my throat a couple years ago there's no way I'd go with them again But I build my own computers usually (as I will be at the end of the summer) so I'll just look at them in Best Buy

Old 07-05-2002, 05:11 AM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Why a crappy Via chip is what I want to know? Maybe this is a good way to throw money away for a tax break? I forsee dismal failure on their hardware foray. Atleast I hope and pray :wink: Even the X-Box has a more powerful Intel P3 733Mhz chip. :roll: Sic 'em Dell.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:01 AM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

I have a PC at home that uses the VIA C3 chip (933Mhz). It literally is a cool chip - it does not have a CPU fan at all!

Sure, you and I who are encoding Divx or playing Quake may want the latest Intel/AMD chips but most people do not need or harness the power of even a PIII for their everyday taks.

Old 07-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Registered
Pupil

[conspiracy theory on= 1]
Maybe that's the start for "Palladium", they get the assembly lines running now,
so its easier to switch to "enhanced" chips later on.
Incidently, it looks like Mykotronx, the "clipper" chip people are hiring...
[var 'danger' set high]
[leave country = true]
[conspiracy theory off]

-or not !