Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 07-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default A few updates to the site

We've made a few changes to the site in the past two days, and I wanted to briefly touch on them. First up, we've added banner ads to the discussion pages. I hope no one minds this addition, but with the current state of the online advertising world (ie: poor), I'm trying to drive up the value of advertising on my site for my sponsors.

Next up, our webmaster and php guru Chris Edwards has created a simple archive page. Currently, it lists seven days worth of posting, including the current day. Our long-term plan is to evolve this into a listing broken down by week and month, giving you access to all the posts on the site.

Thanks for your continued support as we evolve this site into a better and better portal for all your Pocket PC needs!

Old 07-02-2002, 07:04 PM
PJE
Thinker
Default Like archive page....

I don't mind the banner adds on other pages - as long as they're compact (size wise). I use a 56K modem at work! and anything which slows the page loading down would be bad - At home via cable there's no issue.

I really like the archive page! Would it be possible to add a (XX replies) at the end. As this would make this page ideal for use at work where I don't want to keep loading in the same old graphics.

Regards,

PJE

Old 07-02-2002, 07:07 PM
iPAUL
Pupil

As long as there is no Popup or Popunder ads, then everything is cool (and no-one gets hurt :wink: )

Old 07-02-2002, 07:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPAUL
As long as there is no Popup or Popunder ads, then everything is cool (and no-one gets hurt :wink: )
I've turned down pop-up/pop-under ads twice - I hate them myself, so I have no desire to inflict them upon all of you.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Like archive page....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
I really like the archive page! Would it be possible to add a (XX replies) at the end. As this would make this page ideal for use at work where I don't want to keep loading in the same old graphics.
Interesting idea - I'll see what I can do.

Old 07-02-2002, 08:25 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Interesting idea - I'll see what I can do.
And while he's at it... :wink:

1. How about using tables to remove need for 'Posted by' and '@' on each item. (One table per day).

2. Make Topic (Article/Software/etc..) less intrusive (smaller text), or even a custom Emoticon.

Keep up the good work.

PJE

Old 07-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
I thought of this too but then thought "who would really care" and decided not to mention it to Jason. Guess I was wrong. :-)

Old 07-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
And while he's at it...
Keep in mind this is just a temporary stop-gap measure, not our final solution.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:47 PM
innersky
Ponderer

is it just me, or does it seems I have to scroll some posts left-right to be able to read it?

And that's not on the pocket pc...

Old 07-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Chris Edwards
Pupil

It seems that any resolution less than 1024x768 is caused to scroll due to the new banner. I'll shorten the "You have no new messages" text, and that should be just enough for 800x600.

Thanks for letting me know. Here at 1600x1200 I sometimes forget that there are still people that use 800x600 :)