Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-01-2002, 05:09 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Password Protect Individual Folders

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?amp;sectionId=0&catalog=0&platformId=2&productId=32524&productType=2&siteId=311&zsortParams=true

Looking for a way to password protect individual folders on your Pocket PC? Well, Chris Clark has pointed us to a solution from dmdSoftware called SecureDisk. It appears as though this little application allows you to password protect any a sub-folder of the My Documents directory.

Features:

� Your "My SecureDisk" remains protected even when attached to your desktop.
� Safe; if you lose your password, you won't lose your files (contact us for a solution).
� Works with ALL applications on your Pocket PC. Because "My SecureDisk" is a virtual device located under your "My Documents" directory, ALL your applications have access to your files.
� Uses SIP for password entry. That means that you can have an alphanumeric password.
� Passwords can be entered through a keyboard, SIP, or simply written on screen (with Microsoft Transcriber)
� Passwords are not limited in size.
� Only protect the stuff you want.

The description makes it sound as though there's a special workaround if you forget your password, but I haven't been able to find out exactly what that entails. I'll update this post when I do find out.

Old 07-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

That "workaround" bothers me a bit. It isn't like I carry around nuclear arming codes or anything, but I like to think that my private data is out of reach of anyone unless they devote significant time on their part and on some big computers to get my info via brute force.

Old 07-01-2002, 09:39 PM
normaldude
Ponderer

I just put my sensitive files in a password protected zip file. Then open with EzyUnZIP (free) on my PDA. Works fine.