Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Time Warner threatens subscribers using open WiFi

http://rickt.org/stuff/soho_wireless/twcnyc/

"Time Warner Cable of NYC sent me a nastygram on June 25, 2002, instructing me to cease and desist from allowing anyone to access my wireless access point. There was also several threats, ranging from slightly veiled to just outright nasty threats about being sued, FBI criminal investigations, etc etc."

You can download copies of the letter at the link above. What a joke.

Old 06-29-2002, 04:19 PM
stevew
Theorist

With all do respect, why is it a joke? Is it just you accessing it or others also? Are you violating their Acceptable Use Policy? Just curious.

Old 06-29-2002, 04:24 PM
mookie123
Thinker

I think it's a typical broken promise of 'all you can eat' internet access until we say it ain't so.

Actually I find it amusing that the demise of telecom company lies in their offering ever competitive cheap broad band access.

Old 06-29-2002, 04:27 PM
dma1965
Thinker
Default What ?????

This has got to be the most insane threat I have ever seen in my life!!!
Does this mean that anyone who inadvertantly either forgets to set WEP encryption, or just prefers not to use encrytption is guilty of a crime? Are we now expected to construct wireless "fences" to keep people with WiFi cards out of our transmission range? How about music ? Can the RIAA potentially sue us if we decide to play a purchased track loud enough for the neighbors to hear? Would that be considered an unauthorized public performance? How about if someone picks up a wireless transmission of a DVD playing over a wireless video sending unit? Big business is getting out of control. If you ask me, they deserve every attempt everyone makes to subvert their protection schemes. This is the kind of crap that makes people, like me, give up on any attempt to create an environment of fair use in their perspective. How can anyone take Time Warner seriously if they think they can pull this crap???

Old 06-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Joff
Ponderer

I doubt that they are concerned about criminal activities. I think they are just pissed off that they are not making extra $$$ from it. I can't tell you what I think of these profit making sharks since they would sue me too.

I must sadly say, they probably have the law on their side. Especially with the actual terrorist climate. I fear that you will have to stop being kind. After all, that's what they are complaining about: offer a free service to the community.

You have my moral support and I say thanks to you for sharing your broadband connection with others. I just hoped that the we could leave in a world where poeple would come before money.

Old 06-29-2002, 05:05 PM
kennyg
Intellectual

I think you folks are blowing this out of proportion. Your "all you can eat" access it contingent on a reasonable subscriber usage as is the price, now if you want to allow access to all the people in you building, you can charge them and pay the high fees that ISP's do. Or they can raise all of our rates and for go caring...

Now, I'll grant you the wording was a bit heavy, but being it's New York, this is about the kind of letter that works there.

kenny

Old 06-29-2002, 06:30 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default waste of time... but right

I believe it is a waste of time for a company the size of Time/Warner to go after people like this, but at the same time, it is their right to do so. The subscriber undoubtedly signed an agreement to get this service and thus agreed not to share the connection with others.... so he is in breach of contract and probably breaking a few laws as a result of that breach.

Alternatively, he could switch to another provider, and if none available, establish his own WiFi ISP service and give it away... too costly I am sure - but those are the market dynamics if he wants to play.

Old 06-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

COST OF CABLE MODEM CONNECTION =

Total bandwidth piped into area by provider
divided by
(Number of users + average bandwidth consumption)

Time Warner is going about this in the wrong way, but if this guy wants huge bandwidth that he can share any way he wants, he should pony up $1000 a month for a T1. If everyone shared their connection with another person, our rates would double or more - it's simple math. As the recently cable modem bankruptcies have shown, there's not a huge profit margin in high-speed access.

Old 06-29-2002, 07:09 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

No offense Jason, but cable companies are greedy scumbags. I have cable modem plus a full cable package and I pay $130 a month. If they can't make a go on it based on rates like that, that's too bad. My service is Adelphia. Adelphia is in the toilet because of mismanagement and downright criminal conduct, not people stealing their services. They claim that is why they lose money. But if they didn't have this to blame, they would find something else to blame rate raises on. I have no sympathy for Adelphia.

Old 06-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Joff
Ponderer

I have other views.

I think that everyone who subscribes to broadband services should also be allowed to use other's broadband access if they wish to share it. In this way, we could build up a large wireless coverage area at no extra cost to the ISPs. Everyone pays its monthly bill but also has the convenience of being able to connect while away from home. In return, this same person pays his broadband subscription and also permits other users to use his wireless acces point.

I think this business model would work if everyone plays by the rule. It would benefit the ISPs because all the users pay their monthly bill. It would benefit the users by offering them wireless access while away from home. And this would also benefit the wireless industry by selling more wireless equipments. Let's face it ISPs are not financially capable (or willing?) to offer wide area coverage. This approach seems reasonable.

To prevent fraud (I mean shameless users not subscribing and still enjoying broadband access at no cost), a database of subscribed users would be consulted prior to giving access to users.

What do you think?