Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 06-27-2002, 01:48 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Make it so Number One

http://www.flashenabled.com/mobile/stn.html

Mr. Torrone has obtained the trailer for Star Trek: Nemesis, the upcoming 10th installment in the Star Trek movies for your Pocket PC. So warp over to his site and download the 2.4MB WMV file

ENGAGE! <!>
Click here for the rubber band sound effect

Old 06-27-2002, 03:19 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Considering how bad the previous ST movies were, it's hard to get excited by Nemesis. Generations was a stink bomb. First Contact was fairly decent. Insurrection was flat out awful.

It's gotten to the point that I no longer watch these films in theatres. I just wait for them to be released on DVD. :?

Old 06-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Considering how bad the previous ST movies were, it's hard to get excited by Nemesis. Generations was a stink bomb. First Contact was fairly decent. Insurrection was flat out awful.
SACRILIGE!!!!

:twisted:

With the exception of Star Trek I, most of the Star Trek movies have been quite excellent. If you didn't like the movies, you probably didn't like the series, so why bother at all? :wink:

Old 06-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
With the exception of Star Trek I, most of the Star Trek movies have been quite excellent.
ST II was excellent! ST III was ok. ST IV was pretty damn cool. ST V was......well, that movie was so bad it killed the franchise. ST VI was the last movie featuring the "Original Crew", because ST V was so bad.

There still hasn't been a movie made that beats ST II. The plot was original and compelling. And from beginning to end, it was non-stop action.

Contrast that with Insurrection which is based around a small group of planetary inhabitants at the ass end of space, who are the victims of a vengeful blood feud. :roll:

Quote:
If you didn't like the movies, you probably didn't like the series, so why bother at all? :wink:
I like the original series. TNG is too sanitary for my tastes. Picard is a wuss. He always talks his way out of a fight. DS9 was fairly decent. Voyager was a waste of good carrier waves. Enterprise is EXCELLENT. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch it all the time.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Ah, I see the issue. Star Trek has always been just as much about intellectual and moral battles as physical phaser fights. Star Wars it is not, but that's what I find so appealing about it. Picard a wuss? Never! He was a complete hard-ass, but an explorer at heart not a millitary commander - thus he was loathe to use violence to solve a problem. When he did though, he gave no quarter.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Ed Hansberry

My 2c
ST-I was ok, though I really enjoyed the director's DVD
ST-II was the best ST movie
ST-III was worse than II
ST-IV was worse than III
ST-V was an embarrassment
ST-VI was almost as good as II
ST-VII almost as good as VI
ST-VIII better than VI, but not quite as good as II
ST-IX was probably equal to VI.
ST-X - Sadly, it looks like the last one. :-( At least for this "generation"

ST-TOS was good for its day, but it is tiresome now looking at the crinkly plastic seran wrap with red lights blinking in it representing "entities."

ST-TNG is hands down the best ST series.

DS-9 was barely tolerable and the only ST series I have not seen in its entirety. Nor do I have a desire to.

ST-Voyager was decent but the cast never gelled the way ST-TNG did.

Enterprise is easily the best ST series since TNG, but after only one year, it cannot claim victory.

I think it is time to retire the current ST timeline. Let "Enterprise" run its course in the past, but flash forward another 100-150 years with an entirely new series/cast on the Enterprise-H, maybe in about 4-5 years.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:17 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I think it is time to retire the current ST timeline.
Amen. Personally, I think the studio should simply end all Star Trek movies completely. The plot and characters are all the same, and the franchise has lost its edge. It is becoming as bad as the X-Files.

Enterprise is probably the best series I've ever seen. I would even say it is as good as the original. Let the series run for a few years, and then begin making movies based on this crew.

Old 06-27-2002, 04:42 PM
pt
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to pt
Default new series

i'd like to make a teen targeted series called star trek academy. all your favorite pop idols, at the academy. weekly shows will also have musical guest.

that's right britney you're going to the academy, but watch out! kelly osbourne is out to get you and she's rigged the shuttle pilot simulation!

Old 06-27-2002, 04:43 PM
rubberdemon
Ponderer

Of course, if this movie follows the semi-famous Star Trek pattern, it might be OK, as if you'll notice, all the even numbered movies have been much better than the odd numbered movies. As this is an even-numbered film, presto, quality!

Of course if it sucks it will blow the pattern, but so far it's been pretty accurate... Spooky, eh?

Old 06-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: new series

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt
i'd like to make a teen targeted series called star trek academy. all your favorite pop idols, at the academy. weekly shows will also have musical guest.

that's right britney you're going to the academy, but watch out! kelly osbourne is out to get you and she's rigged the shuttle pilot simulation!
You are dangerously close to being banned pt. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: