Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-26-2002, 05:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default You have to go see this photo...

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/1976.html

Since I don't like it when other sites rip off our content, I won't do the same to my pal Jorgen over at infoSync. Suffice it to say that he has a photo up on his site that shows an iPAQ 38xx side by side with the new 39xx and its swanky transflective screen. Go look. The important thing to notice when you look at this photo is the complete lack of reflection on the 39xx, and the uniform brightness. The 38xx screen looks positively pathetic in comparison, and this reinforces my opinion about the 39xx screen when I saw it a while back - it's simply gorgeous, reminding me very much of the lovely Casio EM-500 screens of yore...want a 3970? Pre-order one today.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Thanks but I think I'll save about a $100 and go with a Loox when it comes out. It has transreflective tech too. Don't ya love that word? Transreflective. Its got a distinctive Star Trek sound to it. :lol:

Old 06-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

That difference is really quite amazing. I wonder, is transreflective suppose to work better in outdoor (bright) conditions as well? Also, how does transreflective effect the battery preformance of the device?

Old 06-26-2002, 07:18 PM
vetteguy
Ponderer

I would love to preorder one, and will probably buy one, as soon as they announce a model with integrated Wi-Fi.

Old 06-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Xyress
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Xyress Send a message via AIM to Xyress

The screen looks great, but the iPAQ still looks like it was designed by a 5-year-old. Ugh - why do people think it looks nice?

So the LOOX has the same screen? Hook me up! That's the best-looking device that's been announced so far. The D-pad's still in the middle, but with the lack of Gameboy-button-style layouts, I might have to live with that.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:54 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

People are raving over the display. I'm feeling tempted to order one just for the screen! Must fight temptation...[*reaching for credit card*]...must fight temptation. :?

Old 06-26-2002, 11:10 PM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

Casio E-125/EM-500 screen is still better than the new iPaq's indoor, IMO.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:06 AM
brntcrsp
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinux
Casio E-125/EM-500 screen is still better than the new iPaq's indoor, IMO.
except that you can't see the e-125 outside. ever. (save for night, of course) but who goes out into the sun anymore.

Old 06-27-2002, 03:54 AM
Robotbeat
Intellectual

Quote:
who goes into the sun anymore
So true.

Actually, since my iPAQ is getting fixed in the shop (my shop at work), I am using my good ol' e115. The display on it is absolutely gorgeous! It actually looks better and has richer color (although my e115 only is 16-bit...) than the TFT LCD I use for my desktop! I am serious. They have about the same contrast. And my e115 is a little bit brighter.

However, you can see just barely the e115's display in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it doesn't matter if the display's backlight is on or not. It kind of reflects, a teeny bit, but it is only good for locating the buttons on Windows Media Player.

Old 06-27-2002, 05:18 AM
Wackyman
Pupil
Default Re: You have to go see this photo...

I have played with a real 3970 today at the TECHXNY. the screen looked actually better than the picture you saw here. Tapping on the screen is like tapping on a piece of glass, very very smooth, just like the tactile feedback you get on the Toshiba screens. I compared the screen of the new iPAQ against the latest Clie, Clie's was weak!

Man, how I wanted to swap that babe with my 3850 right there! The screen was amazing!