Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default You think your help desk is havening problems?

http://chroniclesofgeorge.nanc.com/

This site is hysterical and makes for great Friday afternoon reading. It chronicles some clueless relative of an exec in an unnamed company who is stuck at the help desk. The guy writing the site is George's boss, but can't do anything about it, except entertain us. Just be thankful George isn't working at Compaq's or Microsoft's help desk.

Old 06-21-2002, 11:08 PM
T-Will
Sage

LOL! that so, hilariousious is because!

Old 06-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

:lol: :lol:

Oh my, this is some GOOD stuff....

Old 06-21-2002, 11:29 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default havening

I was havening a goods time readin this internet site thingy

Old 06-22-2002, 12:14 AM
John Wilkes
Neophyte

The Chronicles of George would be funny if it weren't painfully obvious that George is not a native English speaker. When that is taken into account the tickets usually make perfect sense. :roll:

Old 06-22-2002, 12:28 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default sad actually - but seen frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes
The Chronicles of George would be funny if it weren't painfully obvious that George is not a native English speaker. When that is taken into account the tickets usually make perfect sense. :roll:
It is highly likely that the language problems can be attributed to english being a second language, but the more funny aspect of these chronicles is the lack of understanding of how to support a computer... a help-desk technician is supposed to understand these things.

A decade ago, I managed a technical support department for a company and we collected similar comments, but not by our techs, but by customers... things like:

- I can't find the 'any' key on my keyboard... the software says to press any key to continue.
- My fax is not working, I hold the paper up to the screen, but nothing happens.... where is the fax start button anyway?
- 5 1/4" drive: Customer was asked to insert the disk and close the door... customer puts in disk and puts phone on desk to close door to office... tech meant the drive door.
- Customer: I don't have a floppy disk, we upgraded from 5" to these smaller 3" 'hard' disks

I could go on and on....

Old 06-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes
You didn't read the FAQ. George is born and raised in the US - Houston TX - 100% American and English speaking, and otherwise normally functioning. He just doesn't seem to give a flip about his work product.

Old 06-22-2002, 12:47 AM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

Quote:
The Chronicles of George would be funny if it weren't painfully obvious that George is not a native English speaker. When that is taken into account the tickets usually make perfect sense.
Check out the FAQs page - http://chroniclesofgeorge.nanc.com/georgefaq.htm - which states that "George is a native English speaker. He is 100% American. He was born and has for his entire life lived in Houston, TX".

From a linguistic point of view, it's interesting that many people who seem to be able to construct highly complex phrases when speaking without a problem are often unable to properly construct the simplest of sentences when writing.

Old 06-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

Ed, could you type your replies a little slower, please?

Old 06-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wagstaff
Ed, could you type your replies a little slower, please?
S o r r y. I s T h i s s s s s s s b e t t e e e r r r r r r r r ? :lol: