Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ ROM upgrade moved to July

One of our readers contacted the PCN Team at Compaq/HP to inquire about the June 15 date for the new 1.2/2.2 ROM's. It has been pushed back to sometime in July, presumably for testing. I am anxious for the update just like everyone else, but I would honestly rather wait an extra 30 days than go through a round of iPAQ paperweight posts in the newsgroups.

Old 06-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Fattizzi
Pupil

I would rather wait as well. Some people just dont understand that the idea of testing is to work out the kinks. If a kink is found, they need to fix it which might delay the release. If they didnt fully test things, people would complain about that too. There is a lot of code to test and it takes time. Probably just as much time to develop the application/fix as it does for testing. So, lets be patient and hope they get it right.

Old 06-19-2002, 04:08 PM
peterawest
Intellectual

So, just so I'm clear on this... The new ROM is only being prepared for the 3800 series. Is that correct?

If so, is there any word on any similar update (minus the bluetooth stuff) for the 3600 & 3700 series?

Old 06-19-2002, 04:18 PM
renz
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to renz
Default Re: iPAQ ROM upgrade moved to July

Hi, I just talked to Compaq Germany because of the 3850 / backlight issue with my iPAQ. They said that they are not repairing units, but waiting for the 1.2 / 2.2 ROM update which would definately fix the backlight problem. They said it would be another two weeks before it comes out. Let�s hope it all turns out like they said ... :wink:

Old 06-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterawest
So, just so I'm clear on this... The new ROM is only being prepared for the 3800 series. Is that correct?

If so, is there any word on any similar update (minus the bluetooth stuff) for the 3600 & 3700 series?
The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700. The 1.2 is for the 3800. Looks like they are working on them at the same time.

On the backlight thing, I just got my 3800 back today (sent in last THURSDAY!) with the inverter replaced. We'll see if that fixes it or not. According to the Customer Advisory you should still send it in. Not sure why HP Germany is being different.

Old 06-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Grey
Pupil
Default Just one more lie? Used to increase sales?

This is just more of Compaq Lies! Lies that are used to increase sales! Lies to get money is FRAUD! It is widely reported that Compaq is releasing the 39xx in June. Does the 3900 have all of the problems of the 3800? If they can get this working in the 3900 why can't they get it working in the 3800? If they can't get it working in the 3800, what makes you think it will work any better in the 3900? Will you pay Compaq $700 or $800 to be their next BETA Tester?

This was posted by John of Compaq on 4/12/2002 "I am running the test ROM on my device and have not had to reset my device to get bluetooth to run so I'm very pleased with our progress. There are about ten other bug issues that we are addressing in this same ROM upgrade on top of this issue. Our timing to release this is based on which language you have (I'm assuming you have English) and how many issues our QA team finds while testing these ROMs. You should see an English ROM in the May timeframe. "

So from this we get a list of eleven bugs being address. The BlueTooth and about ten other bugs. This was on the Compaq PCN today;

Details of change:
Enhancements and Fixes:
ClearType Enhancements: When using MS Reader and setting it for ClearType Fonts, text appearance may be very hard to read.
Virtual Memory Improvement: Operating System may be sluggish when multiple applications are open.
SD Format Resolution: SD Cards formatted with FAT12 may not be recognized.
Reminder LED Resolution: LED will not flash more than 5 minutes.
Screen Calibration Diagnostics Test: Self Calibration test may display a �failed� message because the test parameters were too sensitive.
Cradle/Battery Gauge Resolution: A fully charged iPAQ Pocket PC that has been on A/C power in excess of 24 hours may show a decreased battery gauge when removed from the charger.
Lock-up During Boot Resolution
Backlight User Interface Update
Bluetooth Manager v1.1

By the way anyone else notice that it says Bluetooth Manager v1.1, and not an update or fix.While John is saying he doesn't have to reset his unit, which IMHO is not v1.1 but a fix, if true.

Now count the changes, and at this point we are at 9 total, And as of now the PCN site is still claiming that it will be released on 6 24 2002. From what I had been told Compaq had this update working in house in March, and from what I see being posted now. Compaq has not improved anything, they are deleting the parts of the rom that don't work!

Based on the testing Compaq did on my 3870, I see no reason to wait on additional testing by Compaq, If they couldn't discover the problem with the Bluetooth, in the 3870 before it was released, and there best solution after 6 months, is a screen that ask me to reset my 3870. Does any one think that an additional month of testing by Compaq will mean anything?

When I load this Beta ROM, and yes I said BETA! And IMHO that's being generous with Compaq thinking that it might be good enough to be called a BETA. I know that anything might happen, because the only faith I have is that Compaq doesn't CARE about it's iPAQ users, and it's ROM update will have problems. I'm just dumb enough to hope that the new problems will be lest bothersome than the old ones!

Old 06-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Grey
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:

The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700. The 1.2 is for the 3800. Looks like they are working on them at the same time.

On the backlight thing, I just got my 3800 back today (sent in last THURSDAY!) with the inverter replaced. We'll see if that fixes it or not. According to the Customer Advisory you should still send it in. Not sure why HP Germany is being different.
Where are you getting this info? It is NOT what I'm seeing The 2.2 update is for the 3870 with built in bluetooth, and the 1.2 update is for the 38xx without bluetooth built in.

Grey

Product PocketPC H3800 Series

Component Type System BIOS / ROMs

Component System BIOS for Bluetooth Models
Version 2.20.xx

Old 06-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: Just one more lie? Used to increase sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
This is just more of Compaq Lies! Lies that are used to increase sales! Lies to get money is FRAUD! It is widely reported that Compaq is releasing the 39xx in June. Does the 3900 have all of the problems of the 3800? If they can get this working in the 3900 why can't they get it working in the 3800? If they can't get it working in the 3800, what makes you think it will work any better in the 3900? Will you pay Compaq $700 or $800 to be their next BETA Tester?
As I alluded to in my original post, this may be the install they are working on. The ROM itself may be done, but the problem with ROM updates in the past wasn't the ROM at all but the installer causing iPAQ paperweights in some cases.

If you have evidence Compaq is just sitting on this to tick you off, please let us know. :roll:

Old 06-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:

Where are you getting this info? It is NOT what I'm seeing The 2.2 update is for the 3870 with built in bluetooth, and the 1.2 update is for the 38xx without bluetooth built in.
So what about 3700 native Pocket PC 2002 devices, or upgraded 3600's? I'd like to see some improvement in my 3765... the problem with Virtual Memory Management is universal to PPC2002, and not just the 3800's.

Christopher Spera
-------
pocketnow Writer

pocketnow.com -- it's all about portability...
http://www.pocketnow.com

Old 06-19-2002, 05:58 PM
controller2k2
Neophyte

"The 2.2 update is for the 36/3700"

I presume that means -series-. So the 3765 would be covered. (I sure hope so... I have one!)

-Paul