Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Sendo Z100 makes mobile phones leap 20 years forward

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4432159,00.html

Guardian Unlimitied recently published a very interesting article regarding the company Sendo and their new product: the Sendo Z100. The Microsoft Smartphone 2002 based mobile phone is said to be released next month. At first the product will be targeted towards the enterprise, and then consumers at Christmas. The price is likely to be "between $400 (�274) and $1,000 (�685), depending on operator subsidies and accessories". (Thanks to Reza Sayeed for the link!)

I am proud owner of a Pocket PC Phone Edition ("xda"/"Wallaby"), and thorougly enjoy the power of Windows in a mobile phone. I can tell you that the usual "what phone and ringing tone have you got" drill among friends and colleagues has changed. The Pocket PC Phone Edition simply blows people's minds. What used to be cool (ie: ringing tones going beep-beep-beep-beep and graphics at the resolution from the 1980's), are on their way to the museums. The Sendo Z100 is more likely to reach out to consumers and the powerful youth audience. When they discover that they can actually have the latest Shakira song as a ringing tone, not as beep-beep-beep but as it sounds on the album, and a picture of their boyfriend/girlfriend as background image (in color), we will see a significant upgrade frenzy taking place.

Then there's real Web browsing, amazing games, e-mail, Instant Messaging, SMS (soon to be replaced with free Internet Multimedia SMS), Outlook, and so on and so on...

Old 06-19-2002, 03:00 PM
isrjt
Ponderer
Default decisions, decisions, decisions

Why did you have to post this today, I was going to buy the Sanyo 6200 today. Now, I have to think again. Should I wait or buy. Hard decisions for such a small brain.

Next month overseas? Does this mean America, or everyone else in the world except us.

Old 06-19-2002, 03:33 PM
mvoosten
Pupil
Default Here some pics of the phone

Old 06-19-2002, 03:50 PM
jmulder
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to jmulder
Default $400-$1000!!! Damn!!

$400-$1000?!?!?!?!?

While I appreciate that this is new technology, I was kinda hoping for a price somewhere in the $250-$300 range. My wife still reminds me I have a $200 StarTAC phone I can't use anymore because we switched providers whenever I talk about upgrading anything :?

The price seems especially high when I should be able to buy a PPC2002 Phone Edition for $500-$600.

Don't get me wrong, I think this looks like a really cool product, and I would probably prefer it to a PPC2002PE (and certainly prefer it to always carrying both my cell and my PPC), but is form factor really worth that kind of premium?

Rant over,

Jim

Old 06-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: $400-$1000!!! Damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulder
While I appreciate that this is new technology, I was kinda hoping for a price somewhere in the $250-$300 range.
Bleeding-edge technology will always be expensive, especially in the first generation. I remember the first Motorolla StarTAC phones being $600 CND when they first came out here....and now they're free with a new plan.