Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-17-2002, 09:13 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pre-order the iPAQ 3950 and 3970!

http://www.dreampages.com?aff=pocketpcthoughts&page=bcomippocpc.html

One of our affiliate partners, DreamPages, just posted a very interesting message in the forums. It looks like the iPAQ 39xx is on its way! The juicy details are below, and by all that's holy, WE FINALLY HAVE A TRANSFLECTIVE SCREEN LIKE THE SONY!! Real SD/IO doesn't hurt either! Thanks for supporting this site through affiliate links.

"HP just started taking orders for the new iPAQ H3950 & H3970 Pocket PCs and we were the first to order! So, we're now accepting pre-order on our website. The prices posted on our site are based on HP's ordering price on 6/17 and will be adjusted if HP changes the price we pay."

- Based on the award winning iPAQ Pocket PC platform, the iPAQ 3970 features the fast new Intel X-Scale 400 Mhz processor and a brilliant transflective TFT display with 240x320 resolution and 65K colors, and integrated Bluetooth Wireless
- 64 MB SDRAM, 48 MB Flash ROM with 20 MB available for customer use.
- An integrated SD slot with SDIO support, standard and consumer IR
- 1400 mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Power Supply

Old 06-17-2002, 09:25 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default CF slot....

I like the iPaq... but I refuse to get one until they integrate CF in the main device. Or at least put two SD/MMC slots in. It is otherwise at a disadvantage. I realize that they want to keep the sled design and I think that is ok... use it for other expansion devices or more cards... but put two exansion slots in the main unit or other devices are going to trample them.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Pre-order the iPAQ 3950 and 3970!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
- 64 MB SDRAM, 48 MB Flash ROM with 20 MB available for customer use.
- An integrated SD slot with SDIO support, standard and consumer I
20MB for the user? Cool.

On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?

Old 06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
ricktakagi
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ricktakagi

I also think that not having a second slot is what will keep me away from the new Ipaq...I'm sick of sleeves! I'm leaning towards the new Toshiba but waiting to see what else will have both a CF and SD slot built in.

Rick Takagi

Join our user group at www.pshug.org

Old 06-17-2002, 09:33 PM
ricktakagi
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ricktakagi

I also think that not having a second slot is what will keep me away from the new Ipaq...I'm sick of sleeves! I'm leaning towards the new Toshiba but waiting to see what else will have both a CF and SD slot built in.

Rick Takagi

Join our user group at www.pshug.org

Old 06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
spursdude
Oracle

is it really 799.95? that's crazy!!!

what's the difference with a transflective screen, anyways?

Old 06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
20MB for the user? Cool. On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?
20 megs is indeed cool, and I hope this means developers will start to test their apps more fully - I see a lot of odd behaviour with some apps in Flash ROM.

SDIO is a hardware thing I believe. It would be nice to be wrong. :?

Old 06-17-2002, 09:37 PM
Inaki C
Pupil

The list of countries available for shiping on this site is funny.
Where do they get these country lists? Is USA doing like UK in the times of Commonwealth ?

By the way, after USA raised the custom fees for steel, Europe has entered a fool prosecution of every thing we buy in the USA. Lately I had to go to customs office only to get some magazines !

Please Americans be sensible, drop steel custom fees so we will be able again to purchase hardware from USA.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
On SDIO - is that something that can be "fixed" in the 3800's with a ROM patch or is that a hardware issue?
Unless they fix it before the 39xx devices come out, I wouldn't count on it. A plan to support the 38xx with SDIO probably would have likely happened already since they must have it in 39xx already in production.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:41 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Default tariffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaki C
Please Americans be sensible, drop steel custom fees so we will be able again to purchase hardware from USA.
This is usually a tit for tat tariff/duty battle and will likely continue indefinately. If all world markets were open to everyone than we can realize your dream. I seem to recall weird wine tariffs for California wine in France and other oddities. What goes around, comes around.