Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default pocketnow.com reviews Toshiba e740

http://reviews.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=reviews&id=260

pocketnow.com puts the e740 through its paces, and the end result might not be quite what you expect. I have to admit I'm a little surprised - no Pocket PC is perfect, but the reviewer seemed quite negative about several aspects of the device. Must be one of those biased iPAQ users.

"Over the last year, Toshiba has really made a substantial impact on the Pocket PC market. They have managed to bring quality, relatively inexpensive, and groundbreaking Pocket PCs to the masses. For example, their e570 was the first device to have dual storage slots, all the while their e310 was the thinnest of the color Pocket PCs. It would seem that Toshiba has been trying to set themselves up as trend-setters, innovating new and exciting devices every step of the way. Keeping consistent with these ideals, Toshiba has begun production on their e740 Pocket PC. Complete with built-in 802.11b wireless, compact flash and secure digital slots, a slim form factor and an Intel XScale 400 MHz CPU... it would seem Toshiba has built the dream machine. Is this device as good as it sounds, or has Toshiba pushed for too much, too soon?"

Old 06-17-2002, 04:14 PM
mookie123
Thinker

1.Microsoft has to do something to fix that performance problem quickly. Or this model will die without much fanfare.

2.Toshiba needs to redesign the "casing". It's just too bland bordering ugly. If there is any lesson from Sony's NR, you can be big and heavy as long as the design has "zest"

3.Microsoft needs to hand out "software" freebies to utilize the Wi-Fi. that would help this model sales. (it could be just simple game, or some sync app, High on gimmick, but fun) Remember those pacman/media player trick in the early days of WinCE?

4.Toshiba needs to handout more softwares and toys. High end PDA buyer are techno enthusiasts, not corporate IT or regular joe. So better offers something for these people.

5.advertise?

Old 06-17-2002, 04:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie123
2.Toshiba needs to redesign the "casing". It's just too bland bordering ugly. If there is any lesson from Sony's NR, you can be big and heavy as long as the design has "zest"
This is one thing I just don't get - I love the way the Toshiba's look! I think it looks WAY sexier than the iPAQ. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I for one adore the new look.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:57 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

Jason,

I agree with you. I have the E310 and love it.

Admittadly, I bought it as a replacement for my 568 (tired fo the dust, scratches, quality issues, etc.) and thought I could live with 32 mb. The admittadly part is that I was wrong. But I love the size, features, and yes, the look.

Photos do not give these Toshiba PDA's a fair shake. I guess there is nothing we can do about that, but constantly remind people and encourage them to go look at them in person.

I plan on getting back my 64 mb (with they had 128) by exchanging my 310 for the 740 soon.

I can't wait! 802.11b. I love it.

By the way, I have also noticed a definate IPAQ leaning over at Pocketnow. I have left messages on their boards to that effect.

They once compared a cell phone to an IPAQ on the basis of appearence. Surprise! The IPAQ won. I suggestedt hat they compare everything to an IPAQ. Cell phone, calculator, laptop, a ham sandwich, livestock, etc. That seems to be their M.O.
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 06-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Captain Obvious
Pupil

I actually think the e310 and e740 are pretty nice looking, but I tend to like simplistic designs.

Old 06-17-2002, 06:48 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

Don't use the word "simplistic". Prop your taste up. Say that you like "elegant" designs.

Be snooty.
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 06-17-2002, 09:09 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I got mine and let me tell you something. It looks better in your hand than in pictures. Even when the pictures from Pocketnow review are just great. I'm just impressed with this PPC. And I hope between MS and Toshiba, they find a way to resolve the speed issue.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:34 PM
mookie123
Thinker

well two things i think sort of scream "blah" rightaway,

the black plastic gasket betwen the body metal plates. They don't show quality. You can even trace the imperfect molding, and extruder seams. Talking about "cheap" look.

the bottom left "blank" area. It looks so unbalance as if somebody forget to put something on there. (how about a sticker maybe? :roll: )

well, i know people will say: you can always get a good leather case and have 5th Ave. look. instead of this Motown discount look.

but hey.... i just had to complain.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:23 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

I've not seen an e740 BUT yesterday I got a chance ot test out an e310. Three things -

One - the design really does look much better in the flesh (I'm still not getting one though!).

Two - it is far too uncomfortable in the hand.

Three - if the e740 has the same screen as the e310 - then it is the single worst touchscreen I have ever put a stylus to! It was like using a stylus on a pane of glass - no resistance at all. If I had been considering a Toshiba - that would have been enough to put me off.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:43 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

Duncan,

If you think the Toshiba touch screen is the worst, you obviously haven't used the Jornada. I tried forever to get used to it to no avail.

To put is blountly, the HP screen feels like your poking or stirring oatmeal.

Horrible.
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs