Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-13-2002, 02:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Bombs away with the Tablet PC

http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,71940,00.html

Interesting to see the military using such cutting-edge technology. Speaking of the military, I saw Black Hawk Down last night and was blown away - tragic on so many levels. Superb movie!

"The U.S. Air Force has taken tablet PCs higher than Bill Gates ever imagined and so far has not encountered the "blue screens" cursed by ground-bound Windows users. The Air Force quickly adapted a commercial tablet PC to provide critical targeting and navigation information to aircrews operating over Afghanistan in Operation Enduring Freedom, fielding pen-input systems to combat aircrews in just three months. It's a turnaround tough in the corporate world and almost unheard of in the government where acquisition and deployment cycles are measured in years. The system also can go a long way toward preventing the kind of "friendly fire" incidents that resulted in casualties in Operation Desert Storm and early in the Afghanistan campaign.

The Windows 2000-based tablet PC system has experienced "no blue screens" despite rigorous in-flight testing that put it through better than 3G aerial maneuvers, according to Robert Severino, president of Position Integrity LLC, a Los Gatos, Calif.-based company that developed the Pilot/Aircrew Management (PACMAN) system." Source: Various

Old 06-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Ashley Dunn
Pupil

Black Hawk Down was the second movie I've ever seen that made me react verbally in a rather crude way. The Devil's Advocate is the only other movie that really made me angry!

Jason and I both really enjoyed the movie. Very sobering though. I don't understand the hatred...

Thank God for the soldiers who went in though.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Ken Mattern
Intellectual
Default Black Hawk Down

When I came to work for the Utility Helicopter Program Management Office (UH-60 or Black Hawk) I gained a whole new perspective on what it means to be a warfighter. My job was to put those men and women first and to be sure that I did nothing to harm them. I still take that part of my job very seriously.

I'm proud to work for that office to this day and proud to know the men and women who fly and maintain this superb machine.

On my way to the Pocket PC Summit, Mike Durant - the pilot who was held captive for 11 days - was on my flight. It was the second time I met him.

Ken