Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-10-2002, 07:31 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default WebLiquid

http://www.businessanyplace.net/?p=webliquid

I've been using WebLiquid, the program that enables you to use Web Services on your Pocket PC, for some time now. As Andy told you before, he and his pal Chris Forsberg wrote this program as part of their business anyplace experience.

If I had to name one thing that makes me like WebLiquid a lot: it offers the fastest way to view Pocket PC Thoughts when you're on the road. It is very low on bandwidth, which should please the GPRS users out there. Where refreshing the current (relatively small) front page costs you 17.3 KB of upload and 75.4 KB of download in Pocket Internet Explorer, the same page in WebLiquid costs you 4.1 KB of upload and 18.9 KB of download. What's the difference? You can't see the pictures, and you can't see or get to the comments. These limitations cause the low bandwith. This low bandwith is similar as downloading the page without images in Pocket Internet Explorer. But in my experience the speed of WebLiquid downloading the page and having the content ready for viewing is much faster. A complete refresh of this webpage took me 24 seconds in WebLiquid and 40 seconds in Pocket Internet Explorer (without images). If all you want to do is to read the front page text only, nothing beats WebLiquid speed.

Right now Andy and Chris added a new webservice to their list which makes it even harder for me to stay away from WebLiquid: World Cup Soccer scores! I love checking the scores of my favorite team, no matter where I am. And how about that Team USA, huh?

Especially if you have a wirelessly connected device, or even if you just have a desktop Internet connection and Pocket PC 2002 Activesync desktop passthrough, WebLiquid comes highly recommended. And not just because it's Andy, but because getting fresh info on your Pocket PC through Web Services simply rocks! So go to Handango, and buy it for $19.95 [affiliate link], or download the trial version.

Old 06-10-2002, 08:10 PM
heyday
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to heyday Send a message via MSN to heyday Send a message via Yahoo to heyday
Default $5,99 Whoh Nelly!

$5,99 Whoh Nelly!

I think you meant to say $5.99

Old 06-10-2002, 08:14 PM
marlof

Ha! Well, over here we use the , as the divider and the . only when numbers are bigger than 1.000 , whereas in the US you use them exactly the other way round. I was so proud that I did the KB downloads right this time, that I forgot the last one. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Master O'Mayhem
Theorist

Hmm... Live Soccer scores?/ Why would you need that?? You might be able to use it for WC2006 , that is if Holland makes it!!!!

Old 06-10-2002, 08:22 PM
marlof

What group is Hungary in?

Old 06-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: $5,99 Whoh Nelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyday
$5,99 Whoh Nelly! I think you meant to say $5.99
We try so hard to train Marlof and Andy, our European friends, but they have a whole lifetime of commas to forget. ;-)

Old 06-10-2002, 09:58 PM
jpzr
Ponderer
Default Re: WebLiquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
I love checking the scores of my favorite team, no matter where I am.
Netherlands has not qualified so what is your favorite team, Marlof? I just ask out of curiosity...

(my national team lost today to Portugal and is saying 'bye bye' to worldcup... ops: )

Old 06-10-2002, 10:10 PM
marlof

jpzr: I don't have a favorite yet. I feel when watching without "my own team" present, I tend to go for the most attractive soccer, and for the underdog. Surprisingly good until now:
- USA
- South Korea
- Japan
- Germany (supposed to be bad, but have some good players!)
I was not too happy with ( because I had higher expectations) :
- Turkye
- Russia
- Poland
But the tournament is only now getting in the most interesting phase, the third matches in the first groups from then on. Teams that usually grow in a tournament (Argentina, Italy) can still prove themselves.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:16 PM
jpzr
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
- Germany (supposed to be bad, but have some good players!)
I was not too happy with ( because I had higher expectations) :
top goal scorer of this team has dual citizenship/nationality : german and the same as mine - therefore I also strongly sympatize with this team. unfortunately it is yet not certain if they will manage to be in top 2 in the group...

could you post some example of WorldCup visible through WebLiquid? Some worldcup on WebLiquid screenshot? I would be interested maybe in buying it after all...

Old 06-10-2002, 10:18 PM
marlof

jpzr: here you go!

I didn't check this during today's matches, but I suspect that the results page is updated throughout the match. The results box continues below what is visible with the mention of the word "final" and the time.