Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual
Default Has PalmOS Lost the Edge?

http://writingonyourpalm.net/column020610.htm

Bit by bit, Pocket PCs are chipping away at the traditional strengths of the PalmOS platform. Are PalmOS devices still a compelling choice?

After careful consideration of my Toshiba e310 vs. Sony NR-70V decision, my final choice is... to wait. (Mike Cane, I feel your pain!) Why? I decided not to get the e310 because while it's a fine machine, the new XScale Pocket PCs are just around the corner, and I have to see them before buying another Pocket PC. Why didn't I go with the NR-70V? Because as stunning as the hardware is, I have severe doubts about the Palm platform itself.

I should note here that I'm not a gamer or multimedia freak, so I could use PalmOS. I could live without Argentum and playing movies on my device. I have better uses for my time than games-- reading the hundreds of books I have on my CF card already-- and better uses for my finite storage memory than movies-- the aforementioned books. If I had to, I could live within the limitations of PalmOS. But why should I? Or, more to the point, why would any new PDA buyer choose a PalmOS device over a Pocket PC?

Old 06-10-2002, 04:45 PM
normaldude
Ponderer
Default Re: Has PalmOS Lost the Edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
But why should I? Or, more to the point, why would any new PDA buyer choose a PalmOS device over a Pocket PC?
Because the only PDAs that fits safely and comfortably in my front jeans Pocket are not PocketPCs.. they are PDAs like the Palm m500/515.

When someone makes a PocketPC that meets these requirements, then I'll have no need for Palm PDAs:
1 - has a flip cover
2 - is small enough (0.4" thick, 4.5" tall)

As it stands, the Toshiba e310 is close but:
1 - it has no flip cover
2 - still slightly bigger than I'd like (4.9" tall vs 4.5" tall)

Old 06-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual

Actually, my Jornada 565 fits quite comfortably in my front jeans pocket. And I don't even wear baggy jeans. I guess that comes down to personal preference. I've known guys that can't even bear to carry a wallet in their jeans pockets...

Old 06-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Ben
Ponderer

I quite often carry an iPaq plus PC-Card expanion jacket in the front pocket of my jeans and although to comfortably sit down I do I have to take the iPaq out of my pocket and put it on the table or whatever I don't really find it uncomfortable when walking.

On another note Jeff I've been going through almost the same dilema at the moment - iPaq H3870 or Clie NR70V? Basically I've come to virtually the same decision as you - wait and see what Xscale brings. I decided in the end that having been an iPaq user for 2 years now I'd miss too much my 2gb PC-Card datapack for movies/mp3s, accessing the net over my 802.11b network and a Bluetooth connection to my mobile phone - not to mention all the little things like games, a proper web browser and mail client and like you say a proper file system. Add to that the fact that I've never owned a Palm before (I've always used Psions or Win CE devices) so I'd have to get use to a completly new OS and really even the excellent hardware of the NR70V just is not enough to get me to switch to Palm.

Old 06-10-2002, 06:23 PM
iPAUL
Pupil

Four months ago I was in the situation where I needed to replace my old Palm IIIx (which served me well for many years). I stopped to take a look at Palm's new lineup of devices to consider a replacement. What I found astonished me.

After several years of kicking out new devices, I was surprised (and disappointed) to see that Palm had not made ANY real innovations in their products. Devices still came with a skimpy 8 Mb of RAM, the Operating system was basically unchanged (except for a few VERY minor enhancements). About the only thing good that Palm has incorporated is the expansion SD slot, however the Palm processor is still too underpowered to utilize the SD card for any sort of Multimedia application.

So I took a look at Pocket PC. I couldn't believe my eyes. Today PPC is quite literally worlds ahead of Palm. I ended up purchasing a Compaq iPAQ 3850 to replace my old Palm IIIx and have never looked back.

Indeed, why WOULD anyone buy a Palm device today?

Cheers,

iPAUL

Old 06-10-2002, 06:36 PM
normaldude
Ponderer

Quote:
Actually, my Jornada 565 fits quite comfortably in my front jeans pocket. And I don't even wear baggy jeans. I guess that comes down to personal preference. I've known guys that can't even bear to carry a wallet in their jeans pockets...
Sure it fits, but try a simple test. Put a Jornada 565 in your front jeans pocket and sit down. Then try it with a Palm m500/515. The difference is huge.

Now understand that "real estate" in my front jeans pocket is precious, and must be shared with other items.. I need to carry keys, a wallet, a pen, a mobile phone along with the PDA. Maybe even some coins and other objects too. Every little bit in size counts.

Plus, I hear the Jornada line (one of the few PocketPCs with flip covers) is being phased out, making flip cover options in PocketPCs even worse. Why are PocketPCs so allergic to flip covers? All the Palm/Sonys/Treos/Zaurus PDAs have flip covers.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:04 PM
ojlittle
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to ojlittle
Default Why Buy A Palm

To be honest, there are many reasons to buy a Palm (Let the flamming begin). I was in the same situation as Jeff. I bought both to try out & was going to return one. I ended up selling some electronic equipment so I could keep both. Now to the point...I am like Jeff. I don't need all the movies & 3D games. That is not what I use my PDA's for. Organization, E-Books, Music, & Work apps are what I use. I can do all of that with a Palm & a Pocket PC (out of the box). Even though I paid a PPC price for the NR70V, I could have bought a Sony N760 & done the same or the new T650, both cheaper than the PPC.

The Palm OS is still easier to use than PPC2002. It may not do multitasking & all the other junk, but it is easy. It is also very stable. I have yet to see any of my Palms lock up or give me a fatal error, even with all the hacks I run. My PPC needs to be reset atleast once a day. Synchronization is another issue. It is discussed on this site quite often. Jason has made many remarks about how terrible ActiveSync is. No sync problems with my Palm.

Reasons to buy a Palm:
Ease of use
No steep memory requirements (unless playing MP3's)
Stability
Easy to sync
Size (Toshiba is just right on thickness, length is another matter. NR70V is also long, but with reason. Keyboard, camera, beautiful screen)

Just to point out, I am a PPC enthusiast. I just wanted to point out some perks of the Palm platform. I would like to see both thrive & make our purchase decisions even harder.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

I, too, don't understand the complaints about PPC size/weight. I regularly carry my IBM Thinkpad on a gold chain around my neck.

Scott

Old 06-10-2002, 07:26 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

Well, having recently bought a new palm myself, I think i'm rather qualified to answer the why of things..

I picked up a Palm III C last month here in the Netherlands. Now, I have an Ipaq PPC so why on earth did I buy a palm? Let me tell you.

- The Palm III C was on sale. It cost only 130 euro's, the same as an M-100. Color and 8 mb ram for the price of an M-100... I'd be stupid not to pick one up.

- Software. Now, I like my Ipaq very much, but who can beat the incredible amount of simple yet effective software available for it? Example: Fliphack. I can rotate the screen using a simple 5 kb plugin. On the Ipaq, I'd need to buy, download and install NVD which is potentially very dangerous; it already caused one hard reset on my Ipaq..

- Battery life. I know I can get a bigger battery, but still; I can go a week without charging the Palm. And that's with backlight full blast; playing Bejewelled till I get cramps. The ipaq just can't beat that. I wish it could.

- Simplicity. If I need to jot down a number, doodle, write a memo etc. it's all very easy on the Palm. I love sophistication, but why would I need something like Photogenics when I want to make a simple sketch of an apartment i'm prospecting? I dont.

Now believe me when I say I'm totally converted to PPC after using every device out there, but I can still see the virtues in a Palm. If you can find one for cheap, and you value ease of use and a cheap carry around device, then Palm is a safe way to go.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:27 PM
thadrool
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaldude
Quote:
Sure it fits, but try a simple test. Put a Jornada 565 in your front jeans pocket and sit down. Then try it with a Palm m500/515. The difference is huge.
I hear you on that one. I've had an m505, Clie T615, Jornada 568, and now a Toshiba e310.

But, then again, the difference you speak about is in weight and thickness; height really doesn't play into how it feels in your jean pockets. And with that said, the e310 feels just as thin and non-existant in my pocket as the m505 did. Plus, they are both roughly around the same weight. I guess if you're one of those who needs the absolute smallest form factor then maybe.