Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default To Protect Or Not Protect...?

I've been thinking a lot lately about screen protectors (Sorry, such is my mundane life). I used to ALWAYS have some form of screen protector in place, for fear of scratching the screen surface. But a few weeks ago, I wanted to watch a movie on my iPAQ and I realized what an incredible difference it made when I removed the screen protector. The colors were more brilliant and everything seemed snazzier.

Since then, I've been using the iPAQ "without any protection," and haven't noticed a bit of scratching. I know that there are tons of horror stories out there about damaged screens, but I'm more interested in the flipside of the story: How many people out there have used a Pocket PC on a regular basis without any screen protectors WITHOUT any visible damage?

Old 06-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I tend to avoid the screen protectors. The WriteSheilds from Times2Tech are excellent, the best I've seen, but it does dull the colours quite a bit. I go "unprotected" most of the time, and haven't noticed any serious damage. Then again, it's not like I use a Pocket PC for a whole year or anything. ;-)

Old 06-08-2002, 12:09 AM
Richard S
Neophyte

I've been using my iPaq with an unprotected screen since 8/00 without so much as a scratch. I guess I've been lucky so far

Old 06-08-2002, 12:28 AM
klinux
Sage
Send a message via MSN to klinux

I go naked most of the time too. Oh, I mean my PDA. :P

Old 06-08-2002, 12:29 AM
Trade Wind
Pupil

Similar story as Richard here. Since 7/00...not a scratch.

Old 06-08-2002, 12:33 AM
helios
Pupil

I've used my EM-500 for over a year now without having used a screen protector and it still looks brand new.

The two things that can cause scratches are small particles of dirt that get dragged on the surface of your screen by your stylus, and using a stylus with a scuffed up tip, both of which are easily avoidable.

If you keep your screen surface relatively clean by brushing it every so often and don't drop or mar your stylus' tip, you should never get a scratch while it is unprotected.

I have never liked how screen protectors make the screen look.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:09 AM
kagayaki1
Thinker
Default No problems

I used to use them on my Casio E-125, but for a month I didn't, and there were no problems.

Similarly, I didn't use a protector on my iPAQ 3870 for 6 months, and I didn't have any problems. I guess it's just a matter of how clean you keep your screen in general, as well as how hard you write. Left-handed writers, like myself, are said to write with 7 times more pressure than a right hander. If that's true, 7 times more pressure doesn't seem to affect it. I use a protector now after reading a glut of horror stories, but after my recent movie watching on a plane, I'm really reconsidering. <shrug> I don't think they're that bad when you're doing normal PIM activities; when watching movies and reading e-books at night, it can be hard to use a protector. They seem to distort small fonts. Forget playing Argentum.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:25 AM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Holy cow...

I have been using a pda condum, I mean a screen protector on my ipaq ever since I bought it over a year agao. I actually bought the screen protectors before I bought my ipaq and never used it without the screen protector.

I took mine off so I can try it for a few days without one after reading the article and the screen actually looks brighter crisppier. I am surprised that the screen actually looks cooler.. Now I just have to get use to writing with out the pressure the screen protector use to give.

Though even still.... I think I may go back to a screen protector in a week or 2. I have heard way to many horrior stories of screens getting scratched. I don't think it's worth it my opinion and would rather have the added assurance that nothing I may do will scratch the screen from writing on it.

Old 06-08-2002, 01:42 AM
hhollick
Neophyte
Default Avoid too much solitaire

I was addicted to Solitiare for a while and managed to darn near wear a hole in the screen, especially up in the left hand corner where you would slide cards off the deck. It was scratched pretty badly from repeated wear.

I had the screen replaced and used a protector for a while thereafter. Fortunately, while the iPaq was in the shop I was able to break my addication to Solitaire.

I took the protector off a few weeks later and have never looked back. The bare screen is much crisper.

Old 06-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Paragon
Magi

I have never used a screen protector in the 2 1/2 years I have been using PDAs. But, to quote Jason it's not like I keep one for a whole year. In that time I have had 1 Visor, 1 Palm IIIC, 2 Palm M100s, 4 Ipaqs, and 4 Jornadas. :roll: I use my sleeve to clean the screen. All this and I have never had a scratch.

Besides my wife is Catholic, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use any protection.... Hmmm... I never thought maybe Dale could answer that question for me

Dave