Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-06-2002, 05:34 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Toshiba e740 802.11b model reviewed

http://www.sprinklerhead.com/toshe740.htm

This is the first review of the e740 that I've seen, and this Pocket PC is officially at the top of my lust-list. Great review by Jeremiah Owen .

"So you say you want a thin PDA, dual slots, and built-in wireless? Well Toshiba says they have the answer with their new e740 series. Not to mention the small fact they decided to throw in a 400 MHz X-Scale processor..."

Old 06-06-2002, 05:39 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I just finished reading the review, and I must say good job Jeremiah, and good job Toshiba. These days it's getting harder and harder to pick your favorite. Not only between manufacturers (Loox? Toshiba? Acer? new HP? Casio? Asus? etc. etc.), but also in one model range. With this one, you could go with the 802.11b model, add a Bluetooth card in either SD or CF flavor, and still have a memory slot to spare! Or go Bluetooth inside, SD memory, and a 802.11b card. All depends on what you need most. Wow! I'm impressed!

Old 06-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I find it odd that this photo:

http://www.sprinklerhead.com/snap004.jpg

Shows 58.27 MB in total RAM - that number should be up around 63 or so. Where's the extra RAM gone to?

Old 06-06-2002, 05:54 PM
jpzr
Ponderer
Default Re: Toshiba e740 802.11b model reviewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
built-in wireless? Well Toshiba says they have the answer
the answer is to have BOTH Bluetooth and WirelessLAN in one device. Sony is offering it in one of their notebooks: both these technologies present!!!

But I recomend to go for the model with WLAN and to buy additional Bluetooth card - nowadays WLAN is available at airports and is also much cheaper than Bluetooth at home.

... but still, my ideal of having PocketPC with having built-in, integrated, BOTH Bluetooth and WirelessLAN is not fullfilled...

Old 06-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
But I recomend to go for the model with WLAN and to buy additional Bluetooth card - nowadays WLAN is available at airports and is also much cheaper than Bluetooth at home.
Surely not? BT is relatively stabilised at ver. 1.1 - 802.11 is in a state of flux - evolving to use less power, have better range and security etc. - I would rather get a BT device and have my Wi-Fi ugradeable by means of CF cards etc.

Old 06-06-2002, 06:05 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Have you seen the prices for BT access points they are insane!!!! Like $450+ WLAN is for the here and now....BT and WLAN would be interesting to manage toggling them both on off and everything inbetween...yuck!

Old 06-06-2002, 06:29 PM
T-Will
Sage

Could someone run a test of Quake/Quake 2 framerate? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2002, 06:35 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quake numbers are coming... should have them by tomorrow, I'll have video frame rates up in about an hour.

Old 06-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Hmm..if this device really does deliver rich full digital audio (the e310 stinks!) and excellent ClearType...then I think I just found the PocketPC for me!!!! 8O

Where can I order one?

Old 06-06-2002, 07:32 PM
MattPatty
Pupil
Default ATI Imageon

Does the new Toshiba sport the ATI Imageon video chip?????