Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-31-2002, 05:53 AM
Tycho Morgan
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tycho Morgan Send a message via AIM to Tycho Morgan Send a message via MSN to Tycho Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Tycho Morgan
Default ThunderHawk Browser for Pocket PC Review

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software/internet_thunderhawk.htm

I've been watching the development of ThunderHawk since the first email concerning it landed in my inbox. This looks like a really great program, and I'm glad that it's finally available.

I was first introduced to the idea of proxy browsing when I used a Palm, and it made perfect sense. Mobile devices simply don't have the capacity to process all of the things that big computers can and their Internet connections don't have the same broadband speeds that many of us have at home. Proxy browsing makes surfing quicker and easier, allowing for a much more enjoyable experience.

This review just reinforces what I already suspected about this program. It's great. It's revolutionary. It's really annoying that I don't have any kind of connection to use it with.

By the way, here's something that always makes me happy: "ThunderHawk actually supports more web standards than Pocket IE, including HTML 4.0, SSL, XML 1.0, CSS 1 and some of CSS 2, JavaScript 1.5 and more. Not bad!"

Old 05-31-2002, 08:50 AM
helios
Pupil
Default Not the killer app yet

I disagree with the review that Thunderhawk is a killer app for the Pocket PC. After having used a trial copy on my device for a week now, I find it has some good points, but unfortunately, it also has too many drawbacks to make it a must-have app or even a might-have app.

The good points include:

- excellent antialiased small fonts, very legible (wish these fonts were available for use in other apps besides Thunderhawk)

- graphics load faster than in pocketie, because the images are shrunk down on their servers and then sent to you

- supports more standards than pocketie, and thus you can view more web sites accurately than in pocketie

The drawbacks include:

- no cache! (pages are always reloaded on their servers and 'pushed' to your ppc).

- the whole page is not loaded in at once, just the part that is visible on your pocket pc; if you scroll down the web page, you have to wait for the thunderhawk servers to send you the next part of the webpage (this makes browsing a long website with Thunderhawk a major pain)

- no favorites/bookmarks

- you cannot use any of your installed/favorite input panels like calligrapher, wordlogic, fitaly, etc to input text; only their built-in keyboard is available

- cannot use it to display html files stored locally on your ppc device (because thunderhawk isn't really an html browser, its just a local display program which simply displays the compressed web site 'image' from the thunderhawk servers).

I personally had high hopes for the Thunderhawk application, because I really would like to be able to surf the net on the go without having to resort to lugging a laptop around and the preview pictures looked impressive. Unfortunately, my experiences with Thunderhawk were not that positive. Its definitely a good start, and perhaps with a bit more tweaking and the addition of some sorely needed features (bookmarks, cache) it might become the killer app described in the review.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:35 AM
denivan
Theorist

All i can say is that 50USD a year is a madness. I use virtual desktop manager (to change resolution) and a landscape tool for browsing the web, maybe this Thunderhawk has more readable but fonts, but I cannot justify the cost of 50 USD a year. Okay, I now it works through a proxy server based system and they need to invest in lots of bandwith and servers, but still, I cannot justify this cost, and I'm sore lots of people are with me on this.

Ivan

Old 05-31-2002, 02:04 PM
Paragon
Magi

Sorry Sam I have to give this at least 1 1/2 thumbs down, maybe the full 2

NO cache that is a very big ooops, geeez if you scroll just a line or two you have to wait for the page to reload. Overall that is not faster surfing, it's a PITA. No bookmarks follows along not far behind in the PITA department. $50.00 a year when I can get a free proxy, no thanks.

With Internet Explorer 5.0 supposedly in Windows CE .NET, and 3G networks poping up allowing for faster services, and the availability of free proxy servers I see Thunderhawk joining it buddies, Bluekite, and Zadiel, in the recycle bin.

Now after being so critical I give Bitsteam a half a thumb for innovating. They have put considerable effort into making this happen. Maybe something very good will spin off of this. You never progress if you don't try.

Dave

Old 05-31-2002, 06:46 PM
dma1965
Thinker
Default Thumbs Down Here Too

I have to side with the naysayers as well on this issue. Although the font and general page rendering is quite nice, the fact that it does no caching makes it quite unpleasant, even over my 802.11 network. I was hoping this would solve the issue of my online banking, which it does seem to do, at least in the security issues, but scrolling down my online statement takes so long, it is actually faster to just run the hack through RegKing. I also have to give up all the cool stuff MultiIE allows me to do, such as multiple windows, tap and hold menu functionality, button mappings, save as functions, and, of course, the ability to build my own locally stored portal page, and Avantgo (the last two are Pocket IE functions). I would probably keep Thunderhawk for those few occassions when I want to do stuff that is a complete pain in the butt with Pocket IE (like viewing THIS :!: discussion board), but at $49 per year, they are SOL with this unsatisfied customer. :cry:

Old 05-31-2002, 07:16 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: Thumbs Down Here Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
I was hoping this would solve the issue of my online banking, :
Are you aware there ia a reg hack that usually sovle that ?

Dave

Old 05-31-2002, 07:44 PM
dma1965
Thinker

If you read my post again, you will see that I mentioned using RegKing, which does perform the reg hack you mention, so, yes, I am aware, and I appreciate your assistance anyway.

Old 05-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
If you read my post again, you will see that I mentioned using RegKing, which does perform the reg hack you mention, so, yes, I am aware, and I appreciate your assistance anyway.
Duh! Some days my lights are on but no one's home.

Dave

Old 05-31-2002, 08:39 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Quote:
Duh! Some days my lights are on but no one's home.
At least your lights turn on when they are supposed to. Wish I could say the same for my iPaq 3870 :evil:

Old 05-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Paragon
Magi

Shoulda bought a Jornada

Dave