Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-01-2002, 10:57 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Artist 2.0

http://www.conduits.com/products/artist/

If I were in advertising, I'd probably write something like : the best just got better. Pocket Artist is one of the programs I use on a regular basis on my Pocket PC. Although the user interface looks very basic, the program is very powerful, and lets you edit your images in a very sophisticated way.

Version 2.0 was released today, and it offers some very cool new features:

Key Features
� Pocket PC and Handheld PC compatible
� 24-bit color editing
PSD/JPG/GIF/BMP
� Painting tools
Layer support
Gradients
� Color adjustment
� Filters
� Quick shapes
� Floating selections
17 Blending modes
� Image clipboard
Pluggable brush packs and gradient packs
� Transparency support
� Robust painting engine including antialiasing and spacing

Bold items are new features for version 2.0.

Pocket Artist 2.0 is available for $49.95 Previous customers who have purchased version 1.0 or version 1.2 may upgrade for $19.95.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:27 AM
dma1965
Thinker
Default $$$$

$49.95 is just a bit steep for this software, in my opinion. :?

Old 05-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

If I had color I would really surely have this program. I read The Gadgeteer's review of the original some months ago and it looks supurb. If I ever get a color PPC this is on my sort list.

Anyone here use this everday and know of a site that has pictures and extra clipart type stuff to use with it? I expect this one to really go places on 400 MZ+ systems too.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:41 AM
PDAlien
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to PDAlien Send a message via MSN to PDAlien Send a message via Yahoo to PDAlien

PSD Support!!!! That means you can open a Photoshop native file (with layers) and edit directly on the iPAQ! That's huge, in my opinion. Working with PSD files all the time for work and at home, I can see this as a great way to do some editing on the go.

I'm curious whether it maintains all Photoshop information (transparencies, mattes, layer order, etc.) Either way, this looks like the closest thing to Photoshop in your Pocket we have so far.

$50 though...tough to sell to my wife. She'll say "You have Photoshop on your laptop AND your desktop at home AND at work! Why do you need it in your pocket?" Maybe I should point out how I would be able to work on graphics in the bathroom rather than playing games, which could free up some of my time....hmmmmm.....

Old 05-02-2002, 05:33 AM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

PSD support... quite interesting.

Old 05-02-2002, 05:46 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual
Default $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1965
$49.95 is just a bit steep for this software, in my opinion. :?
Indeed. I am sure that many people are scared away by the price.

Old 05-02-2002, 10:19 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

If anyone is scared away by the price tag, they are either really broke, don't really need fine graphics software, or haven't tried the demo.
I have used Pocket Artist since June 2000 (the demo that came on the CD with my Casio E-115), and have not once regretted purchasing it, even a little bit. I have used it more than most anything else save Casio Mobile E-mailer and Pocket IE. The features which arrived today were promised over a year ago, and a beta actually got out to a few people... But I've been plodding along with 1.21 even though the author has promised numerous times to let me get in on the testing. But I'm not bitter. I had Photogenics to keep be going. Even with its bugs, that one fills the few gaps PA left. Looks like he finally caught up. About time. Now I can take that page of my daily rounds!

Old 05-02-2002, 02:51 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

I bought the upgrade for $20 but I have to admit, I'm not sure why anyone would need to edit files on your PPC to this level. I got the upgrade so I can quickly display PSD and other graphic files, which is a nice convenience. But to actually edit them, that's what a desktop is for. To me, a PPC just isn't a practical device for this sort of thing. Like those CAD programs, same thing. Great for viewing drawings in a pinch, but would you really want to design a house on a PPC?

Old 05-02-2002, 03:12 PM
iPAUL
Pupil

Does anyone know how this software compares to Photogenics? Are they comparable or what (I dont know which one to buy).

Cheers

iPAUL

Old 05-02-2002, 03:16 PM
Honolulu
Neophyte

pocket artist 2 run on mips casio ??