Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default In the eyes of a child

I am worried. Have we lost sight of what it means when people are laid off? Siemens, Ericsson are two companies that during the last couple of days have announced that more than 10,000, combined, will lose their jobs. These 10,000 are added to the hundreds of thousand people laid off the past 18-24 months. Please note that the remainder of this thought has nothing to do with Siemens or Ericsson specifically, but the entire IT industry as a whole.

Even though I understand the hard facts behind the turmoil we've experienced the last two years, I hope we never forget what it really means for the families, moms, dads and children affected. A company that doesn't get income and cost in positive balance has to address the problems. I realize that. However, I am sad to see that not only have we seemingly forgotten the consequences for the ones getting laid off, but some companies, even well-performing market leaders, don't seem to hesitate one second to lay off loyal, talented, moms and dads to make that extra buck "above expecations".

I wish we sometimes could see market events in the eyes of our children.
"Dad came home early yesterday. He was sad. He told mom he got fired and she started crying. I couldn't sleep very well tonight."

"My mom lost her job last week. Her manager said the company can't afford her salary. That is not fair, because now we can't afford to stay in our house or keep our car."

Old 04-26-2002, 01:21 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default Layoffs

It's especially frustrating when the top executives aren;t taking salary cuts on their multi-million dollar paychecks and incentives. I think th emodern executives are too quick to fire rather than look at the problems of why their companies are struggling. That's not to say that sometimes a company has expanded beyond what it is capable of sustaining just that sometimes jobs are lost to pad an executive's numbers. It's also hard to believe that someone so self-centered, like Carly Fiorina (whose previous company is in ruins in no small part to lax credit standards), wil really think twice about firing moms and dads. Some company's make every effort to maintain its workforce, at least those who are good workers. the best example of these that I know is the Vanguard Group. Somebody should tell compaw and HP that their desktops don't sell because they suck.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:34 PM
mattb
Neophyte
Default Who is to blame

"My mom lost her job last week. Her manager said the company can't afford her salary. That is not fair, because now we can't afford to stay in our house or keep our car."

Perhaps if mommy and daddy had some cash savings, loosing a job might not be so bad. I can't believe how many parrents I know that run with $0 cash reserves. That is the ultimate in irresponsibility. I see these same parents living in huge homes and driving nice cars. Any financial planner will tell you that everyone (especially people with children) should have 6 months to 1 year of living expenses in cash or cash equivelents. I'll bet the people that lost thier house / car didn't have that. It is not corporate Americas responsibility to take care of you. It is your responsibility. Perhaps if people were more prepaired BEFORE having children this wouldn't be such a problem. We live in a capitalist society, ....deal. Remember your employer is not your parents. Thier ultimate goal is to make money, period.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default In the eyes of a child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
"Dad came home early yesterday. He was sad. He told mom he got fired and she started crying."
Not only dads and moms are fired - sometimes also just the pure single (with a girlfriend but without children)... :? Even not better for him... 8O
Me and a lot of my friends are the victims of the .COM/IT/Telecommunication mismanagement... :evil:

Anyway - time to access the savings , looking for a new job :!: (anyone have one :?: - CV available on request :wink and running PPCW.Net...

Old 04-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

I agree, Arne. You are right. Tragedy is tradegy.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:02 PM
ChrisW
Ponderer
Default Yes, but

Sorry if my reply is off-topic, but so is the original article.

Why is the point of view of a child more important than someone else's? And in particular, why does my decision not to have children make me less important than people who do have children? It makes no sense that their decision to procreate has the effect of
  • (a) costing me extra in terms of increased taxes (due to direct costs such as education as well as increased share due to the parents' tax credits)

(b) stripping me of my freedom as increasing regulations are added to "protect the children".

I'm tired of being a third class citizen, ranking below children and parents. In the words of George Carlin, "F*** the children".

That said, executives that aren't able steer their company to compete shouldn't be compensated so well.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:07 PM
jpzr
Ponderer
Default Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I'm tired of being a thrid class citizen, ranking below children and parents. In the words of George Carlin, "F*** the children".
I agree.

But... every corp is doing so these days...:

Microsoft 4 days ago also had fired people:

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/020424/200...5000022_1.html

so should we be stop using PocketPC?

Old 04-26-2002, 02:16 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I'm all for capitalism. And I'm all for getting a chance to profit for capitalism, both for workers and company. And I'm all for seeing your employer only as a employer, not as the institute for social welfare.

This is not about children per se. This is about the social consequences of mismanagement or dot com blowouts. Only people with infinite saving accounts should not worry right now. Anybody else should really worry if they have saved enough.

I like not being blind for the bad things happening when big lay offs take place. Simply stating: bad luck, those people should have had money in the bank, doesn't cut it for me. I know that for some people it simply isn't that easy, no matter how hard they try. Get out. Meet people. Talk to people. Listen to their stories. And then come back.

Old 04-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Yes, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I'm tired of being a third class citizen, ranking below children and parents. In the words of George Carlin, "F*** the children".
It's not about children only - you've missed the point. It's about the social problems and children really fears that situation that the portents become unemployed!
I remember myself when I was a child I was really feared about this could happens my dad. Thanks god, it never happens.

However, I think the point Andy means is the discrepancy between capitalism and social liability companies also have!

Cheers ~ Arne (Still waiting for cool job offers with less work and huge income ;-)

Old 04-26-2002, 02:29 PM
dave
Ponderer

i think most people who are decision-makers in the layoff process are very aware of the consequences to the individuals and their families (if they have them). however, at some point they have to remember that maximizing profit, or at least turning one, is the fuel that keeps the miracle of the capitalist system cranking.

a couple of things many of us need to keep in mind:

1) many of these 'overpaid' executives receive the bulk of their (potential) compensation from stock options or other performance based incentives. i don't know of too many people out there whose options are NOT underwater.

2) these managers that many of you are accusing of mismanaging companies are the same ones that the same many of you were turning your backs on while the bubble was inflating because somebody else offered you $10k/yr more and an office foosball table to come and help them implement their ill-advised business plans.

look... this sucks from any angle that you look at it. i know that on a micro level this doesn't put any groceries on someone's table, but we have to remember that on a macro level the market for human capital is just like any other market: it is governed by the law of supply and demand. ergo, the rules and theories of marketing should and do apply. in other words, if you focus on creating a product (you) that adds real value and you focus on differentiating this product from competing alternatives and positioning this product appropriately, there will be a buyer. you may have to take a pay cut. you may even have to move. but there will be a buyer.