Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-22-2002, 10:17 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default infoSync on a PC in your Pocket

http://www.infosync.no/show.php?id=1716

According to the number of times people have informed us on the plans with the OQO pocket PC (even after we posted on it), this idea appeals to many of you. And it gave J�rgen Sundgot at infoSync something to think about. His initial thoughts (have in mind that he clearly states that he does not have had any hands on experience with the OQO):

"The recent news of the Windows XP-running OQO palm-sized PC and the Toshiba e550G has given me a bit to think about. While PDAs in the traditional sense of the term are growing ever more powerful, what the OQO is just the latest example of "ordinary" computing platforms shrinking. [...] So, which one is the best method - and is there even a best one at all? To decide, we'll have to consider this; do we really need a fully fledged computer in our hand, and are we willing to make a trade-off to get one? [...] Don't get me wrong, as a tech-o-holic, there's nothing I'd like more than to have the power of a desktop operating system in my hand, but I have severe doubts I'll settle for drastically reduced battery life and usability pains to get one. Until I've had some hands-on experience, I'll stick to my PDA (it's not as if I have a choice though, is it ."

If J�rgen's fears are right, it seems to be trade off all the way. Less functionality with a better battery life and specially designed user interface, or more functionality with usability limitations. I guess it depends on ones actual needs which one to prefer.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:23 PM
JonathanA
Neophyte
Default Battery life and new OSs

Whilst I agree that there must always be a battery life compromise, this is something that the laptop community has been dealing with for many years. In simple terms; no-one is going to accept new devices with very short battery life time if those devices are intended to be hand-held, so market forces will compel manufacturers to find solutions to these problems. The "early"" devices are always relatively expensive, slow and power hungry. Their successors become cheaper, faster, and last longer on a single charge.

You can draw a direct analogy with the digital camera market, which is probably a few years "in advance" of PocketPCs. The users would not accept very high picture resolutions if that meant very long cycle times, or very slow downloading, so the different aspects of the product evolve to maintain the status quo, or else the consumers don't buy it!

Old 04-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Joff
Ponderer

The OQO certainly appeals to me. The compromise does not seem so severe since they specify the battery life to be 8 hours and 7 hours when playing MP3s.

I think we can expect these compromises to be less of an issue when technology evovles and I would prefer to use a platform completely compatible with my desktop applications (or just be the same device!).

There is probably a market for both devices. It will be interesting to see how things evolve.

Old 04-22-2002, 10:07 PM
charlie
Pupil

a unified platform for mobile and desktop computing is the way to go. The biggest thing I hate about the pocketpc is not the battery life or the size but always having to deal with inferior software when I'm mobile. once these things get popular, future OSes will start coming with separate window managers for mobile and desktop mode and application developers will start supporting it. then your only tradeoff for pocket computing will be battery life and the specs that oqo quoted are definitely much better than what I get on my ipaq. Imagine not having to buy 2 different sets of applications for 2 separate computing platforms that in the end provide the same (or limited) functionality. pocket size devices like this will bring the end of tradeoffs for mobile computing and will definitely rule over todays pdas except for with someone who really needs a high perfomance desktop computer or someone who isn't willing to spend very much money for mobility (or both).

anybody want to buy a slightly used ipaq?

charlie

Old 04-23-2002, 05:46 PM
johnm
Ponderer

I love pocketPCs and whole PDA concept, but come on a full powered portable XP machine - who wouldn't want one? The whole idea of carrying your data with you is not new. There are several portable CD player size PCs that you can lug around etc. But you are basically lugging between power outlets and monitors / keyboard setups. The OQO on the other hand lets you access your data in transit. Is there any doubt the direction is will eventually go? My biggest compaint with pocketPC's is the screen size and resolution anyway. The OQO with all it's limitations at least has 640x480. With that res, while not perfect, you can do actual work.